Postings needing clarification

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:16 pm
I'm looking for support from others who experience difficulty with a posting because its meaning depends so heavily on other postings in the same thread, entailing a scrolling often very time consuming and sometimes unsuccessful

…and aren't you often thrown off by misspelling or inadvertent keystroke

…a typical example presently near the end of

http://able2know.org/topic/202046-1#post-5175261

In other words wouldn't you hope (a) that the poster explain his point with a bit more recapitulation and particular and (b) check spelling before saving

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:18 pm
@dalehileman,
This is a world wide site. Some of us who speak english are often wrong re grammar, including those who know grammar but typing fast, and some mess up on typing homonyms with their fingers, or because of disability. I do sympathize with people in other locales trying to possibly learn from us.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes I daresay that's so and we appreciate input from all quarters but isn't your very posting another very typical example of what I cite in the OP

Edited to remark that the foregoing comment was transmitted before _____ had edited and saved the next two sentrences

ESL of course welcome and hoping also to find my OP helpful
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:23 pm
@dalehileman,
I'll leave so I don't start swearing.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Alas, ------, I'm sorry you seem so angry. Again once more, revisited still again, please don't feel so obliged to read a posting by someone whose outlook doesn't quite mesh

Chai: Rick is right of course and if that's the case I apologize most profusely for the "misspelling" comment. However the rest of my OP remains valid inasmuch as the poster often doesn't realize his target might not follow, especially if accessed much later

You might fill us in on age, nationality, background, ed., family, ambitions, etc or even contact me at [email protected]
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:59 pm
@dalehileman,
That is to say, Chai, that Ossobuco (-----) is right

Sorry Rick: After 6 continuous hours doing this sort of thing……….
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:02 pm
@dalehileman,
At least you spell my user name correctly, in contrast to many many many, including favorite pals.

I'm not angry. I'm annoyed.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
It's interesting, ----- that you should so acknowledge. Actually in my first save I left out the middle "o" but then immediately edited
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:06 pm
@ossobuco,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QTA4z9i9CAQ/TLUSK3iE8MI/AAAAAAAACgY/NsJrPdhABuM/s1600/NoidPin.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:13 pm
@Rockhead,
You're right.

I sort of like and empathize with him at the same time he drives me nutso.

I figure he has been a brat in his earlier life as well, unrelated to incipient alzheimers.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:12 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I'm looking for support from others who experience difficulty with a posting because its meaning depends so heavily on other postings in the same thread, entailing a scrolling often very time consuming and sometimes unsuccessful

…and aren't you often thrown off by misspelling or inadvertent keystroke

A discussion involves posts from a number of people who are responding to what others have said. I don't see how it's possible to know what's going on and participate if you don't scroll to see what's been said.

I'm rarely thrown off my misspelling or an inadvertent keystroke. I can usually figure out the intended meaning from the context. I believe this is the case for many of us. I could be wrong.
roger

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:16 am
Has Robert's new total blocking system taken effect? The thread seems to be responding to members I can't see, not that I can imagine having Chai on ignore or blocked. Definately something missing from the conversation, in any case.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:54 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
I don't see how it's possible to know what's going on and participate if you don't scroll to see what's been said.
Thank you Rob for your input. Often however when one returns to a thread his recollection is renewed by only minimal regress, eg,

"His comment that their remarks don't agree with your assertion about that is pertinent"

becomes

"Jimmie's comment that Bill's OP and his clarification in post #……645 don't agree with your assertion that water weighs more than alcohol, pertinent to Sam's argument toward the end of our thread"

Quote:
I'm rarely thrown off my misspelling or an inadvertent keystroke.
It's others' misspellings and keystrokes that throw me off

Quote:
I can usually figure out the intended meaning from the context.
I give you all the credit in the world

Quote:
I believe this is the case for many of us.
I'm not so sure

Quote:
I could be wrong.
Of course so could I

And thanks Bert for your participation

Yes it does bother me that Rob and Bert are both male. I had considered "Erta" but then I OneLooked it, found it means "irritate," didn't quite fit either
roger

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Enough is enough. Goodbye, Dale
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:10 pm
I don't know why any members here spend any time talking to this joker. Nine out of ten of his threads (if not a higher proportion) are his whiny complaints about how the site works, or what other members post. I think everyone should do themselves a favor and ignore this clown. He gets his jollies being obtuse and sneering at the site and the other members. I've only looked in here because i've noticed people i like and whose opinions i respect have posted here. They have my sympathy, and i regret this waste of my time.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:11 pm
@roger,
Enough what, Rog, is enough of what

Sorry Rog just couldn't resist. Aside from that however what's your take on the gist of the OP
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:19 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't know why any members here spend any time talking to this joker.
Its because I'm so likable

Quote:
Nine out of ten of his threads (if not a higher proportion) are his whiny complaints about how the site works, or what other members post.
I'm insulted; it's actually only 7

Quote:
I think everyone should do themselves a favor and ignore this clown.
That's what I keep telling 'em but they don't listen. "Don't feel obliged to read my threads," I advise. But many who participate in forums of this sort scan any thread that promises to provide something for him to be angry about

Quote:
He gets his jollies being obtuse and sneering at the site and the other members.
That's only one way of looking at it, the angry way of course

Quote:
…….and i regret this waste of my time.
Me too, I apologize most profusely. But Set why subject yourself to such turmoil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:22 pm
No turmoil, asshole, just disgust. My remarks were addressed to you, you whiny old clown.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:24 pm
@Setanta,
My gosh Set, how angry you seem
Longevity might best be served by an entirely new approach
Except of course by the suicidal
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:29 pm
@Roberta,
Incidentally Roberta your posting certainly does deviate from the mean and you're to be thanked for your courtesy

(pun intended)