Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:29 pm
No, it means kind and not cruel. Why?

Ok, how's this one:

"My what a manly bosom you ahve Mary!"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:32 pm
Ewwwww - you MUST stop conflating manly with good.....still, I am sure life will teach you, I am not your preceptress....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:33 pm
Manly is good!

I suppose next you'll try to convince me that womanly isn't synonymous with evil and dastardly. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:39 pm
Aaah, sadly, I must put away childish things and hie me to work.....I am sure another will take up the burden of your instruction, though...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:45 pm
I don't think so, few wimmins are as small, kind and manly as yew.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:15 pm
<watching with fascination from under the brim of my small, kind, manly hat>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:25 pm
Beth, you are a small, kind man after my own heart.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:49 pm
LOL !!!

Dear, wee Craven. You do realize you've now created a tiny, hobbity image for yourself in my heart.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:28 pm
SCoates wrote:
Hay, MSOlga, you wouldn't happen to be russian, would you?

No, but close: Ukrainian. Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:38 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Of course "manly" means good!

As in, that was a very kind, manly gesture there fella.

He has a good manly heart.

She has a nice manly kick

Manly is good!

I suppose next you'll try to convince me that womanly isn't synonymous with evil and dastardly. Rolling Eyes

I have to disagree that manly is good.

That's the name of the beach in Sydney where I almost drowned. Spent a day in intensive care because of manly! GGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craven de Kere wrote:

Tell ya what, let me run one of these by you.

A wimmin did something intelligent here at work (serious, no lie) and I am of a mind to walk over to pay her a compliment.

What I have in mind is to give her a light tap on the butt and say "Way to go team player! You are twice the man I am!"

What do you think?

I'd like to be there for that! Whooda thunk Cravens could fly? And bleed like that!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:30 pm
Manly means strong, not good. Although those words are essentially the same. But it does explain why a weak swimmer might nearly drown at such a beach.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 01:21 am
Hobbity? Oh my! Now THERE'S an image I shall hold in my mind to make me laugh....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:59 pm
SCoates wrote:
Manly means strong, not good. Although those words are essentially the same. But it does explain why a weak swimmer might nearly drown at such a beach.

Not a weak swimmer - but fierce undertow - and I wasn't paying attention!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 01:02 pm
I complimented another woman today, she reacted poorly. Wimmin are weird.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
Two days late ... I would like to pay tribute to March 8, and wish all present here a happy international woman's day!

http://www.internationalposter.com/pimages/RUL07843.jpg

As comrade Stalin once observed, with his usual astute insight into arithmetic equations:
Quote:
"Working women are the greatest reserve of the working class. This reserve constitutes a good half of the population."

It is therefore, obviously and urgently,
Quote:
"the first task of the proletariat and its advance detachment, the Communist Party, to engage in decisive struggle for the freeing of women workers and peasants from the influence of the bourgeoise and the organisation of women workers and peasants beneath the banner of the proletariat."

And let them not say that there is no joy in the women's contribution to a better life for the workers and peasants of our nations! Look and see how contentedly "in a village near Lake Baikal, women walk home arm-in-arm after celebrating International Women's Day"!

http://pro.corbis.com/images/AAKA001497.jpg?size=67&uid={745e8aa7-a688-4a2d-8a5d-b5791b537328}

But then, there is inspiration to be found in all that is still to be achieved. After all, isn't it still true, what the women from the Petersburg Inter-District Committee of the Russian Social-Democratic Workers' Party wrote, this very day, 87 years ago?

Quote:
"It is already a long time since hunger drove women into the factories, and for a long time now women, just like men, have been working all day at their machines. The factory bosses squeeze the sweat out of us just as they do with our male comrades."

They justly admonish you, sisters, to stand up for your rights without reserve!

Quote:
"Women are often still fearful, they do not know what to demand or how to demand it. Their ignorance and timidity has always been used and still is used by the bosses. On this day, comrades, let us think in particular about how we can defeat our enemies, the capitalists, as quickly as possible"!

Even today, the dichotomy that faces us is clear. Just look at the images below, and see the clear choice that lies before us.

Here - the image of "Iraqi women shout[ing] during a rally in the centre of Iraqi capital Baghdad on March 8, 2004". Several hundreds of them were forced to face the powers that rule over them head-on, and "demanded more rights in a demonstration, marking the International women's day"!

http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-627677.jpg?size=67&uid={5c63bcc9-5cab-48cb-bf9d-43e082a4d852}

And here - ah, bliss - the alternative: "Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a tea party after the awards presentation ceremony held on International Women's Day in Novo-Ogaryovo."

http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-627187.jpg?size=67&uid={e98b8c64-06fa-4f41-82da-a8cf9a746156}
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:25 pm
Oh, and in tribute to dlowan and her sisters - let's hear it for the century-strong struggles the Australian women have been waging!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 05:06 pm
Don't worry, Margo, no one expects you to be manly. Neutral

Hey! I lived in St Petersburg. Great place. Those russian women above look like great bobushki!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 07:44 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I complimented another woman today, she reacted poorly. Wimmin are weird.

Ok - fess up - what new horror have you visited upon the psyche of a poor, decent, unsuspecting woman?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
Jeez - Vladimir Putin looks just like an undertaker, sorry, funeral director.

Any party thrown by him would just have to be a wake - and they prolly don't do wakes in Russia!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:02 pm
Hey dlowan, margo, did you check out that extra link above? Its kinda cute, in a "100 years of Australian feminist struggle" kinda way ...
0 Replies