Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:39 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
The treasury recently announced they will not be persuing the trillion dollar coin.

Worst. Negotiators. Ever.
Below viewing threshold (view)
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:31 pm
@Thomas,
I can sympathize with that position, but I do think that Obama has a tactical point here. One can gain an advantage in negotiation by limiting one's own options. As long as the Republicans in the House think that Obama can fall back on the trillion-dollar coin or the fourteenth amendment, they can continue to pretend that they're actually negotiating over the debt ceiling rather than just holding the nation's economy hostage. By taking away his fall-back positions, Obama is telling the GOP that he has no room to negotiate, and that the choice is down to two options: raise the ceiling or risk financial disaster.

It may not be the right negotiating strategy, but it's a strategy.
Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
I see what you mean, and applaud your mastery of Thomas Schelling's game theory of blackmail. But here's my problem with the strategy you suggest Obama is pursuing: He has to credibly promise to do something crazy and dangerous, letting America default and allowing a constitutional crisis to escalate. Over the past four years, though, Obama has made several supposedly-tough commitments. Each time, he backed out like a coward (as his liberal opponents see it) or did the responsible thing by striking deals (as his supporters see it). Either way, I don't see how Obama can credibly promise irresponsible brinkmanship anymore.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 01:01 pm
@Thomas,
That's precisely the problem with Obama; he's wishy-washy, and lets his opponents know they can win the gamble. He has no back bone, but worse, he lets the GOP play chicken to win.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 01:13 pm
@H2O MAN,
waterboy, Yes he has; he just did in this morning's speech. You need to keep up with the news - and memorize it.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

...this morning's speech.
I listened to his speech this morning and I have to ask if Jodie Foster is his speech writer.

So is she, or isn't she?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 01:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
Remove my blinders from what? That my investment funds returned over 10% last year, and starting this year with a bang?

You really are stupid! You're not only blind to the realities of what's been happening since Obama took over the white house, but the economic recovery that's been on-going for four years now.

You're more than just stupid; total ignorance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 01:41 pm
@H2O MAN,
You,
Quote:
I listened to his speech this morning and I have to ask if Jodie Foster is his speech writer.

There's no cure for s...........
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 01:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are the ignorant fool you have always been, shame on me for thinking you would stop
your irrational thinking for a few minutes and try thinking for yourself before you speak.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
You seem to have a fascination with Jodie Foster as well as a fascination with guns.

I seem to recall someone else with that combination of neurosis.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:12 pm
@parados,

I mention Foster once and you claim I have a 'fascination' with her Rolling Eyes

Did you happen to hear her speech last night, she and Obama could go toe to toe Laughing

Has Obama ever proposed a viable solution to any problem?
parados

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Too bad the US still has combat troops in Iraq in your reality.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 04:08 pm
@parados,

Domestic problem.

In our own back yard problem.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 04:45 pm
@H2O MAN,
You need to "prove" irrational thinking from evidence; you have never provided any - and never will, because you're tooooo st.....
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 04:57 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Too bad the US still has combat troops in Iraq in your reality.

Speaking of troops, Obama has travel plans for US troops.

US Preps Anti-Terror Forces for Mali
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:30 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I see what you mean, and applaud your mastery of Thomas Schelling's game theory of blackmail. But here's my problem with the strategy you suggest Obama is pursuing: He has to credibly promise to do something crazy and dangerous, letting America default and allowing a constitutional crisis to escalate.

Well, that's a problem for both sides in a Game of Chicken, and even though the Republicans certainly talk the crazy talk, they have so far been just as reluctant as Obama to walk the crazy walk. Both sides, then, have credibility problems when it comes to carrying out threats.