JPB

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 04:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I would have been ok with that too, but I can afford to put food on my table and pay my bills. I think the $200/250 level was reasonable.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 04:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Can't you ever admit you were off the mark?

If you really think that runaway inflation is the only problem facing Greece you are far more ignorant than even I imagine.

Sigh

The difference between the Greek response to their crisis, and what our response would be, is that the Greeks cannot print more of their own currency, and we can. So, the result here in America, of a Greek-style crisis, would be... runaway inflation, as we simply printed more money to cover debts.

I don't know why I waste my time with you, Finn, you apparently have zero ability to follow any thought to it's conclusion without being led by the hand

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 04:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, it took all of five minutes.

Is there a more insipid response on the Internet than "sigh."

Hey One Eye, do me a favor and don't waste your time with me.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 05:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well, it took all of five minutes.

Is there a more insipid response on the Internet than "sigh."

I did that specifically because I can remember you saying the exact same thing in the past.

Quote:
Hey One Eye, do me a favor and don't waste your time with me.

Why would I want to do you a favor? Instead, I think I'll keep pointing out to the readers of A2K the fact that you don't know much about the majority of discussions you engage in here. Also, you're a rank asshole who deserves to have people tell him that to his face from time to time. So I think I'm gonna go ahead and keep that up for a bit.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 05:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Forgive my ignorance, but why cant the Greeks print more of their own money?
I thought every country could print their own money.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 05:27 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

They are members of the Euro - they share the same currency with almost every other European nation. And the printing of more of it isn't controlled directly by themselves, but instead by a central bank called the ECB (I believe? I know individual countries sometimes manage the printing of Euros but I'm not sure who controls the overall supply).

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 05:27 pm
@mysteryman,
I think Cyclo was referring to the Euro and Greece's unwillingness to free itself of the common currency. However that merely alters the particulars of the collapse that occurs when a sovereign power accumulates too much debt and starts to see high interest costs on a mountain of accumulated debt. One common result, which Cyclo cited, is is runaway inflation. There is mothing mild about the consequences of that as Germany learned in the early 1930s.

Funny that Cyclo appears to think that that is an impossibility for us.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 05:31 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I never stated that this was an impossibility. Merely that predictions that it would happen have not come true, and bear a great resemblance to those of the proverbial Chicken Little. And, as one of the prime members of the 'inflation is around the corner!' caucus, you should probably admit that the predictions you have made in this area over the last 8 years or so haven't come true - and are as unlikely to do so this year, next year or any year, as they have been every other year you've made them.

The idea that the printing of money will automatically and inexorably lead to inflation is a failure to understand the economics of a currency that is based on confidence instead of some physical standard. As long as the rest of the world remains confident in our financial system, we can print pretty much as much money as we like with very little ill effect - and that's exactly what we have seen over the last 5 years.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 06:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Higher interest rates and inflation will come just so soon as the dark forces that move in the background decide that they will serve their agenda.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:09 am
@firefly,

One person voted against Pelosi Cool
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:13 am

Faced with 4 more years of Obama the Tyrant this Frederick Douglass quote comes to mind.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:56 am
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/50e59477eab8ea3b2500000e-567-756/w6ckcr.jpg

Quote:
Everyone's talking about how brilliant the new Bloomberg Businessweek cover is.

We can understand why after the Fiscal Cliff nonsense (and imminent Debt Ceiling nonsense-on-stilts) this kind of cover appeals to people.

But in reality, it's inaccurate to depict the Congress as being all babies.

A lot of Congressmen on both sides of the aisle are adults trying to make deals, and look out for the interests of their constituents.

That being said, there is a pretty sizable faction of Fiscal Fanatics that thinks it's beneficial to go to the edge of a government shutdown/default. And they think that unless they get 100% of want they want, then they've done a complete sellout. Baby mentality. After all, the Fiscal Cliff deal preserved the Bush tax cuts for virtually all Americans, and yet most of the GOP in the House couldn't vote for it.

A number of folks in the media seem to get that there's something reckless about the Default Caucus of the GOP, but since they strive so hard for balance, they have to attack Obama for something too, and so they usually point to his lack of spending cuts.

A good example of that is the lead piece in POLITICO today about "Obama's debt problem," which paints the debt as a big Obama's failure:

The staggering national debt — up about 60 percent from the $10 trillion Obama inherited when he took office in January 2009 — is the single biggest blemish on Obama’s record, even if the rapid descent into red began under President George W. Bush.

Actually, the fact that unemployment is barely below 8% is the real Obama failure, much bigger than the deficit.

It goes on to talk about how 'opaque' Obama has been in terms of what spending he would cut, and how there's a looming day of entitlement reckoning:

During the cliff talks, Obama was purposely opaque about what cuts he’d ultimately accept, saying only that Republican resistance to a one-shot grand bargain meant he needed to make a deal in pieces — taxes first, spending second.

That tactic delayed but didn’t eliminate a looming day of reckoning on spending and entitlements that will come within 60 days thanks to the convergence of the debt ceiling deadline and the new deadline for keeping automatic cuts from kicking in.

The truth of the matter is that Obama has done more than the GOP in terms of trying to come to grips with entitlement spending.

The Washington Post reported last night that Obama had infuriated Democrats by agreeing a couple of weeks ago to adopt a "Chained CPI" (a change that would reduce annual increases in Social Security benefits). But the final day of the fiscal cliff fight, Republicans were attacking Obama for being open to this cut.

The GOP has a hard time saying yes to a Grand Bargain.

Greg Sargent at The Washington Post notes that the media is already getting rolled by the GOP on the debt ceiling fight, by buying into their view of it.

He notes three things that everybody needs to know, but which the media rarely reports:

1) Republican leaders will ultimately agree to raise the debt ceiling, and they know it, because they themselves have previously admitted that not doing so will badly damage the economy.

2) Because of the above, a hike in the debt ceiling is not something that Democratic leaders want and that Republican leaders don’t. In other words, it is not a typical bargaining chip in negotiations, in the way spending cuts (which Republicans want and Dems don’t) or tax hikes (which Dems want and Republicans don’t) are.

3) And so, if and when Republicans do agree to raise the debt ceiling, it will not constitute any kind of concession on their part — even though they will continue to portray it as such to demand concessions in return. It will only constitute Republicans agreeing not to damage the whole country, which does not constitute (one hopes) them making a sacrifice.

This last part is a key thing. Raising the debt ceiling isn't a concession, unless you think that the GOP actually wants to damage the economy. But the media helpfully gives into the frame.

Most Congressmen aren't babies. Some are.

In 2013, let's get rid of the "pox on both their houses" way of looking at things.

source
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 11:26 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Not if it's part of a currency union with other countries. As a member of the Euro zone, Greek has one vote among sixteen others on how much money gets printed in Europe. But that's a far cry from being able to print its own money.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 11:46 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
One common result, which Cyclo cited, is is runaway inflation. There is mothing mild about the consequences of that as Germany learned in the early 1930s.

I agree there was nothing mild about it, but Germany's problem in the early 1930s was deflation, not inflation. Perhaps you mean the early 1920s.

georgeob1 wrote:

Sure it's possible for America to have hyperinflation like Germany did in the early 1920s. All she would have to do is start a world war, deficit-finance her military buildup, lose the world war, incur impossible demands for reparations as a condition for armistice, lose the greater part of her industrial base as another condition for armistice, and hence be left incapable of producing the goods with which to pay her reparations and her past military buildup.

It's almost too easy!
Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 12:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As long as the rest of the world remains confident in our financial system, we can print pretty much as much money as we like with very little ill effect - and that's exactly what we have seen over the last 5 years.

This is true for now, but it isn't true in general. The American economy will eventually escape the liquidity trap it's currently in. And when it does, we'll be back in the normal regime where printing extra money will drive up wages and prices instead of mobilizing unemployed workers and moving idle products off the shelves. Georgeob1 is wrong to worry that this year's money-printing and government-spending will drive up inflation and interest. But he's right to worry about the problem at all.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 01:02 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Sure it's possible for America to have hyperinflation like Germany did in the early 1920s. All she would have to do is start a world war, deficit-finance her military buildup, lose the world war, incur impossible demands for reparations as a condition for armistice, lose the greater part of her industrial base as another condition for armistice, and hence be left incapable of producing the goods with which to pay her reparations and her past military buildup.

It's almost too easy!

I don't want to quibble about the definition of hyperinflation, instead preferring to note that in general sustained double digit inflation is harmfully distorting to both the social and economic structures of countries enduring it. This, coupled with low real exonomic growth is both harmful in itself, and sets the stage for possible runaway inflational spirals. It isn;t as difficult as you imply to get there. Argentina and Venezuela are there now. Greece would be too were it not for the constraints associated with the Euro (or any fixed currency) which inflicts its pain in different ways.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 01:02 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Thomas wrote:

It's almost too easy!

I don't want to quibble about the definition of hyperinflation, instead preferring to note that in general sustained double digit inflation is harmfully distorting to both the social and economic structures of countries enduring it. This, coupled with low real exonomic growth, is both harmful in itself, and sets the stage for possible runaway inflational spirals. It isn't as difficult as you imply to get there. Argentina and Venezuela are there now. Greece would be too were it not for the constraints associated with the Euro (or any fixed currency) which inflicts its pain in different ways.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 01:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Instead, I think I'll keep pointing out to the readers of A2K the fact that you don't know much about the majority of discussions you engage in here. Also, you're a rank asshole who deserves to have people tell him that to his face from time to time. So I think I'm gonna go ahead and keep that up for a bit.
Cycloptichorn

Why, how butch of you.

In the interim perhaps you might considering sparing us your "sighs" and your soul searching quandries over why you bother to respond to me.

By the way, you (as usual) completely skirted the fact that you can't provide a shred of evidence that I ever ever commented on hyper-inflation in this forum.

Thou fool.
revelette

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:11 am
Quote:

McConnell demands unbalanced deal

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had a busy morning yesterday, appearing on NBC, ABC, and CBS to repeat his favorite talking points. For example, viewers got to hear the Republican complain, five times, that the nation has a "massive spending addiction," though the rhetoric has no basis in reality. McConnell also insisted President Obama is "unwilling" to cut spending, suggesting the Minority Leader may be suffering from a poor memory.

Of particular interest, though, were McConnell's thoughts on creating a new debt-ceiling crisis.

For those who can't watch clips online, McConnell remains unembarrassed by the notion of threatening to hurt Americans on purpose to force cuts to Social Security and Medicare -- cuts he expects the White House to initiate in the hopes of making Republicans happy (and giving them cover). But David Gregory also asked specifically about applying new revenues, not through higher tax rates, but through tax reform. McConnell replied:

Yeah, that's over. I'm in favor of doing tax reform, but I think tax reform ought to be revenue neutral as it was back during the Reagan years. We've resolved this issue. Look, we don't have this problem because we tax too little. We have it because we spend way, way too much. So we've settled the tax issue."

This was an important quote because it suggests the Republican-created crisis is much more likely to get worse before it gets better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping back and looking at the coming fight in the larger context, a resolution should be relatively simple. Sometime between now and the end of February, policymakers have to work out a deal worth about $1.2 trillion, and the White House has said the agreement needs to be "balanced."

With that in mind, the picture is easy to imagine -- Republicans accept $600 billion or so in new revenue through closed loopholes and deductions, Democrats accept $600 billion or so in entitlement "reforms." The whole deal could come together relatively easily.

Indeed, let's not forget that a month ago, GOP leaders, including House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), were prepared to accept new revenue as part of a bipartisan fiscal deal, and said they wanted that new revenue to come exclusively through tax reform. In fact, as far as Boehner was concerned, policymakers can find up to $800 billion in new revenue to apply towards debt reduction entirely through the reform process, without touching rates at all.

Now, however, we're seeing a sharp shift in posture. As far as McConnell is concerned, Republicans could offer a balanced deal, and could offer hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue to reduce the debt, and did propose this just a few weeks ago, but now the idea is off the table. Why? Because Republicans say so.

Obama is looking for a 50-50 deal; McConnell is demanding a 100-0 deal. There's an obvious resolution, and 24 hours ago, McConnell ruled it out entirely.

source

Quote:
But let’s focus on this claim, from Republicans, that Obama only wants to raise taxes and isn’t serious about spending cuts. Here’s an analysis from one senior Republican aide, as relayed to ABC News’ Jonathan Karl:

The White House keeps saying it wants a ‘balanced approach’ but this offer is completely unbalanced and unrealistic. It calls for $1.6 trillion in tax hikes – all of that upfront – in exchange for only $400 billion in spending cuts that come later. Plus, the only entitlement changes they proposed come from the exact proposals in the President’s budget.

The trouble with this analysis is that it ignores history: As part of the 2011 Budget Control Act, Obama agreed to spending reductions of about $1.5 trillion over the next ten years. If you count the interest, the savings is actually $1.7 trillion. Boehner should have no problem remembering the details of that deal: As Greg Sargent points out, Boehner at the time actually gloated about the fact that the deal was "all spending cuts."

And now, with this latest offer, Obama is proposing yet more spending reductions, to the tune of several hundred billion dollars. Add it up and it’s more than $2 trillion in spending cuts Obama has either signed into law or is endorsing now. That’s obviously greater than the $1.6 trillion in new tax revenue he’s seeking.

source

(the above is an article from links from the first article written before the fiscal cliff deal.)
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:47 am
@revelette,
Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had a busy morning yesterday, appearing on NBC, ABC, and CBS to repeat his favorite talking points.

I'm more inclined to think that he appeared, an apparition out of the ether, on NBC, ABC and CBS to appear on NBC, ABC and CBS rather than to repeat his favourite talking points.
0 Replies