JPB

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 08:41 am
Boehner's proposal getting strong blowback.

From the right.

Jim DeMint, Erik Ericson, and the Heritage Action group are all angry. This could actually help moderate (in today's sense) Rs in the House separate themselves from the far right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 08:55 am
And in related news -- there's been a bit of a shakeup on the House Committees.

Quote:
With a small purge of rebellious Republicans — mostly conservatives — from prominent committees Monday, Speaker John A. Boehner is sending a tough message ahead of the looming vote on a fiscal cliff deal.

David Schweikert of Arizona and Walter B. Jones of North Carolina were booted from the Financial Services Committee. Justin Amash of Michigan and Tim Huelskamp of Kansas were removed from the Budget Committee; Huelskamp lost his place on the Agriculture Committee as well.

Huelskamp was undaunted. “The GOP leadership might think they have silenced conservatives, but removing me and others from key committees only confirms our conservative convictions. This is clearly a vindictive move, and a sure sign that the GOP Establishment cannot handle disagreement,” he said in a statement.
But the message from leadership was clear.

“You want good things in Congress and to have a good career? Better play along nicely,” a GOP aide said, characterizing the message behind the moves.More

and

Dick Armey (R-Tx) has apparently split with the tea party

and

Paul Ryan (R-WI) isn't saying much of anything.

Quote:
With possible plans to run for president in 2016, Rep. Paul D. Ryan, R-Wis., has to carefully assess his approach to budget talks designed to avert abrupt, end-of-year tax hikes and automatic spending reductions set to begin next year.

Ryan — who chairs the House Budget Committee and was GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s running mate — was tapped by Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, a few weeks ago to participate in leadership discussions on the fiscal cliff, along with House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., and House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich.

But the Wisconsin Republican, who has not made a decision about running in 2016, must be on guard in case any deal becomes an albatross that opens him up to criticism from potential presidential primary rivals or allows him to be cast as obstructionist in a general election.

“He must walk a fine line of being supportive of leadership while keeping a careful distance if the deal looks worse for Republicans,” said Ron Bonjean, a GOP strategist who served as a top aide to former Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, R-Miss.

“It is a delicate balancing act,” Bonjean, now at Singer Bonjean Strategies, said. “If the deal looks unfavorable to Republicans, he would need to distance himself from it in a responsible and appropriate way.”

Ryan declined to comment on his role or his political prospects.More
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 08:56 am
And, of course the AARP is in town protesting any changes to Medicare.
revelette

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:27 am
@JPB,
They have company, according to a recent poll less than 30% favor raising the age of Medicare and 60% favor higher taxes on wealthier Americans.

Taxing the rich remains popular

Furthermore, if the fiscal cliff happens, republicans will get more of the blame.

Poll: If Fiscal Cliff Negotiations Fail, Republicans Likely To Get Blame

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:35 am
@revelette,
Quote:
Taxing the rich remains popular

Can you point to a period when it wasn't?
revelette

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:51 am
@spendius,
Perhaps you have forgotten the years of Trickle Down" economics popular during the Reagan years and beyond?

"Trickle Down" economics was a "Trojan Horse"
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 10:21 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I like it too, Roger. Not all of it, but I like the shared sacrifice aspect of it. I don't for a second accept that we the voters have been hoodwinked by our elected officials. We've either chosen to remain ignorant or we didn't shout loud enough to be heard. From the summary -

Quote:
We do not pretend to have all the answers. We offer our plan as the starting point for a serious national conversation in which every citizen has an interest and all should have a say. Our leaders have a responsibility to level with Americans about the choices we face, and to enlist the ingenuity and determination of the American people in rising to the challenge.

We believe neither party can fix this problem on its own, and both parties have a responsibility to do their part. The American people are a long way ahead of the political system in recognizing that now is the time to act. We believe that far from penalizing their leaders for making the tough choices, Americans will punish politicians for backing down – and well they should.

In the weeks and months to come, countless advocacy groups and special interests will try mightily through expensive, dramatic, and heart-wrenching media assaults to exempt themselves from shared sacrifice and common purpose. The full report

That's not the official report of the committee. The committee released no report. The report you link to here is the one the committee refused to adopt.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 11:08 am
I don't understand your point. Why don't I like most of it because it wasn't adopted by the committee? It received 11 of the 14 votes required for adoption. Looking at those who voted for and against it I'd say I'm more in alignment with the yeas than nays.

Quote:
The eleven voting for it were five Democrats (Bowles, Conrad, Durbin, Rivlin, Spratt) and five Republicans (Coburn, Cote, Crapo, Gregg, Simpson) and one Independent (Fudge); the seven voting against it were four Democrats (Baucus, Becerra, Schakowsky, Stern) and three Republicans (Camp, Hensarling, Ryan).[8]
wiki

Also, looking at those who favor a shared sacrifice approach over a my way or the highway approach, I think I'd fall right in line here as well.

Quote:
Proponents of the plan praised it for hitting all parts of the federal budget and for putting the national debt on a stable and then downward path. Prominent supporters include JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon,[2] Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (although at first she opposed the proposal)[3] and Republican Senator Tom Coburn, Democratic Representative Chris Van Hollen[4] has called for a deal based on the Simpson-Bowles framework. Critics say that it would cut entitlement and safety net programs, including Social Security and Medicare. Prominent opponents include Paul Krugman,[5] Republican Vice-Presidential nominee Paul Ryan, President of the Americans for Tax Reform Grover Norquist and Democratic Representative Jan Schakowsky

Krugman and Schakowsky along with Paul Ryan and Grover Norquist all opposing. Sounds right up my alley.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 03:10 pm
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:36 am
Have I mentioned that I detest the two party system of government we have?

Quote:
Republicans in both chambers agree it is important that Boehner be able to win the support of most Republicans for any bargain he makes. If the Senate votes first on a fiscal compromise, a large bipartisan vote there could make Boehner’s task somewhat easier.

“The speaker can’t remain the speaker if he can’t continuously command a majority of the majority,” said Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, a member of the House GOP whip team. “That’s just politics 101.”

Boehner has told Republicans he disagrees with Cole’s view that the GOP should accept the White House demand to extend all current tax rates except those for couples earning more than $250,000.

Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri, vice chairman of the Senate Republican Conference and a former House GOP whip, said senators will be watching whether any debt deal meets the “majority of the majority” standard in the House. “It doesn’t have to maybe be a huge majority,” he said. “But unless the president wants to never get anything else done as long as he is the president and John Boehner is the speaker, they have to come up with an agreement that a majority of the speaker’s majority will vote for.”More
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:55 am
@JPB,
Why do you detest it? I think it is great. This is our democracy working the way it is designed to work.
JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:56 am
@maxdancona,
You'll have to show me where the Constitution calls for political parties.

I'm with George on this one.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 10:04 am
@JPB,
It calls for voters to determine their political leaders. The voters keep voting along largely partisan lines.

Where in the Constitution does it call for going against the will of voters (ignoring the electoral college thing)?

Our two party system exists only because it gets support from American voters.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 10:27 am
I'm not a Democrat so I'm not included in Helen's "we" but I do love this woman!
Quote:
The Republicans want compromise? How’s this:

*In exchange for Republicans agreeing to once and for all get out of our vaginas and our bedrooms, we Democrats will let you start another war just as soon as you get another Bush in the White House.

*In exchange for Republicans agreeing to fully fund the social safety net for this nation’s poor and elderly, we Democrats will do everything in our power to starve camels and make the eye of the needle wider.

*And here’s the really big one - If Republicans will agree to take Rush Limbaugh and Karl Rove and make them simply “disappear”, we Democrats will not let Bill Clinton speak at the 2016 Democratic Convention.

In truth, I am pretty disgusted with all politicians right now. They’ve all gotten a little too predictable for my taste. Republicans want more money for the wealthy and more war. Democrats want to take care of the poor, the elderly and want more money for education programs… On second thought, I’m really just disgusted with Republican politicians.

If this is the best we can expect from Republican leadership, we have a bigger problem than going over some cliff. How about we just pass the President’s plan? If it fails, the Republicans might actually stand a chance in the next election. If it succeeds, the Republicans might finally have to move into the 21st Century.

Show me a fiscal cliff and I will gladly push McConnell and Boehner over the edge. Maybe then the grown ups can roll up their sleeves and get something done. Because how the hell is any deep thinking going to happen if those two insist on spending the whole day pissing in the baby pool? I mean it. Really.

http://margaretandhelen.com/2012/12/05/everything-we-need-to-know-we-learned-in-kindergarten-too-bad-republicans-missed-that-day/#comments
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 10:32 am
And Jon Stewart weighs in on the "negotiations" to date.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/jon-stewart-calls-out-republicans-fiscal-cliff_n_2243649.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Politics
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 11:36 am
Karl Rove's Crossroad GPS is moving into ad buys for fiscal cliff debate.

Quote:
In the latest sign that outside groups that spent record sums on the recent election are shifting their unrestricted money to lobbying, Crossroads GPS has launched a $500,000 TV ad buy assailing President Barack Obama’s tax plan.More
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 11:58 am
Interesting to see what the rest of the world thinks...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/05/how-do-other-countries-view-the-fiscal-cliff-lots-of-pointing-and-laughing/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 12:16 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Have I mentioned that I detest the two party system of government we have?

The US has a one party system with two slightly different branches.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 06:30 pm
@JTT,
And reaching across the aisle in a gesture of solidarity.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
And you are clearly the #1 Keynesian on A2K (seconded perhaps by Thomas).

I know it's so simple but perhaps you can educate me on how it's supposed to work.

Governmental stimulus spending (which requires great gobs of borrowing no matter how much taxes on the Rich are raised) will, inevitably, create an economic boom of such proportions that we can continue or even increase federally funded benefits while at the same time paying off our debt?

I'm assuming that your envisioned economic plan includes paying off the debt, because there's really little opportunity to save during the boom if any interest on savings is outpaced (or even rendered neutral) by the debt interest.

Let's assume we have another huge stimulus package. What should it be spent on, and why do you imagine that this time it will not simply be orgy politically beneficial pork?

Typically we see calls for government "investment" in infrastructure, education and so-called green energy.

The government (federal, state and local) already invests quite a lot in education:

The US already spend more per student than any other nation in the world, and 33% more than the #2 spender, the UK.

Here's what this spending has bought us:

We are #3 in the world in literacy rate, behind #1 France, and #2 Russia.

BTW, we spend 40% more per student than France and 319% more than Russia

In Math scores we come in 10th.

Finland and South Korea are #'s 1 and 2.

We spend 37% more per student than Finland and 106% more than South Korea.

We're better in Science scores though...we're 9th.

Finland, again, is #1, and Canada is #2

We spend 35% more than Canada per student.

So what can we expect to get from even more spending on education?

Satisfied Teachers Unions.

As for Green Energy, one need only review the ethanol debacle to see how government investment in this area works. And one only needs to look at Solyndra and its many clones to see how this Administration's investments in Green Energy work out.

Renewable resources account for about 9% of America's energy if you settle somewhere between the estimates of the skeptics and the zealots. And that's being generous. The only reason it approaches 9% is the degree to which it supplies electricity, and here, Nuclear Energy, that horrendous monster, accounts for 21%. Hydro overwhelms all other Green sources in providing 9%. It seems to me we had hydro-electric plants long before all the buzz about Global Warming.

Worldwide, it's about 2% to 4%.

Not exactly a dynamic market.

The development of Green Energy may or may not, ultimately be a huge boon to Mother Nature, and any industry that benefits so much from ideological and political attachments has to be put in the "growth" column, but any suggestion that it will even help (in a material way) our unemployment and economic problems is absurd.

"The Republicans want to let these Green Energy jobs go to China!" We hear the president and his followers declare.

Pretty much. Since they are jobs in a piddling industry that survives at all by virtue of government support, and lets the workers they hire go once they have collected and skimmed the money received from the feds.

We've let the jobs previously dedicate to the manufacture of doggie treats go to China, and pets are a far bigger driver of our economy than Green Energy.
Americans spend about $55 billion dollars on their pets every year. Frankly, I can't find any statistic on what consumers spend on Green Energy every year, but I guarantee that it is far less than what is spent on our pets.

According to the testimony of Administration witnesses before a congressional hearing, the $10 billion spent by the government in investing in Green Energy, resulted in less than 4,000 jobs in the construction phase and less than 400 jobs thereafter.

An absolutely smashing area for stimulus spending!

So, we are therefore left with infrastructure investment.

You know, those shovel ready jobs that were so abundant when the law was passed.

Hurricane Sandy provided us with an opportunity to see just how useless the first Obama stimulus package was.

Imagine, if the almost $1 trillion was spent on burying all of the power lines in the NE before Sandy hit.

Of course there was never any possibility that all of the stimulus dollars would be spent on a single project, no matter how crucial it may have been.

And let's say it was, and the government got to shore up all of the sagging bridges to boot.

Good for the country? Absolutely.

Good for the economy? Not so much.

Beyond the temporary jobs created, how would these expenditures have helped the economy?

The occasional catastrophe of a hurricane or collapsed bridge gets; understandably, enormous media coverage, but they don't make a dent in the US economy. In fact, they tend to invigorate the local economies in which they occur due to re-building. (Think of the ecological benefit of wildfires)

This is not to say that the lives and comfort of our fellow citizens are to be ignored, but, frankly, let them pay for the prophylactics locally and not ask the entire population to bear a measure of the cost. There are certainly real benefits to infrastructure improvements, but on a macro-economic level? Not until the whole framework is threatening to disintegrate.

There is a reason the NE power companies have not spent the money to bury power lines, and it isn't because it doesn't cost them a ton of money when a hurricane hits. It's because hurricanes haven't been hitting the NE for a long time. When they become more regular and the repair costs mount up, then the NE power companies will act. Actually they will act by whining to the government that they need federal assistance. They shouldn't get it, but they will because they annually contribute to the campaigns of Chuck Schumer and his NE Democrat friends.

The bottom line is that there is absolutely no rational reason to believe that any additional government stimulus spending will be anything more than throwing good money after bad.

Maybe Keynesian economics can, in theory, work but not so in the real world where the personal interests of the political class that profess to be true believers, have absolutely no intention of following the rules.

Sort of like communism.

Lofty ideas that have zero chance of being properly applied in the real world always end up being malignant.