Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:44 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
and not strictly for the rich.

What the hell is that supposed to mean when the polled nearly 48% and control the House?

'Control of the House' is based mostly on Gerrymandered districts. The Dems received about a million more votes, in House races, than the GOP did.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, there's a strong likelihood that the House will remain R for quite a long time due to safe districts resulting from gerrymandering. They need to seriously look at their state-wide races in the Senate and their EC votes towards the WH if they want to make many gains going forward.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:57 am
@JPB,
We can't do anything about stupid people when their own representatives continue to advocate only for the rich, and they keep voting them back in at their own peril.

It's beyond my control, so I can live with it, but I fear for the middle class who keeps our economy in good health.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:58 pm
Saving this for myself for later...

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/decoding-the-fiscal-cliff-talk-84458.html
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 02:16 pm
And, here they come!!!

Quote:
AARP, the giant seniors lobby, plans to send dozens of staff and volunteers to Capitol Hill on Wednesday to lobby lawmakers on issues related to the fiscal cliff, the $500 billion combination of tax hikes and spending cuts set to go into effect at the beginning of next year.

The organization plans to urge lawmakers to reject any changes to Social Security or Medicare during it's end-of-year, lame-duck session. Specifically, AARP wants lawmakers to resist extending the two-year-old payroll-tax cut, which expires at the end of the year. The administration pushed for an extension of the 2-percentage-point cut in its opening offer to House Republicans on Thursday. The payroll tax funds Social Security.

AARP also plans to urge lawmakers to oppose changing the inflation measure used to adjust Social Security payments to a modified version known as the Chained Consumer Price Index.Source
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 03:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think that's where you see the mindset of, "we're willing to put revenue on the table" comes from. Boehner has a fixation on "rates" that's truly bizarre. I think, when all is said and done, we'll see an increase in the top two marginal tax rates (not up to 39.6%) and a major whack against estate, cap gains, and dividends.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:53 pm

Raising taxes will put revenue in the toilet... that's Obama's plan.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:56 pm
@H2O MAN,
You're the toilet, so what are you complaining about? Mr. Green
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 09:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://cdn.innovateus.net/preset_4/courtesyflush.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 09:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yessir. With my compliments. Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 09:36 pm

cicerone, you and Region spend way too much time trolling men's restrooms tapping your toe at every stall.

Get a room.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 09:37 pm
@H2O MAN,
Naw, it's more fun picking on you! Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:49 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Actually, there's a strong likelihood that the House will remain R for quite a long time due to safe districts resulting from gerrymandering. They need to seriously look at their state-wide races in the Senate and their EC votes towards the WH if they want to make many gains going forward.

There is a remedy for gerrymandering. In Arizona after passage of Proposition 106 in 2000, the drawing of congressional and legislative boundaries is delegated to a bipartisan commission.

After redistricting for the 2012 election, Arizona congressional delegation went from 5 Rep. and 3 Dem. to 4 Rep. and 5 Dem.
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 04:05 am
@mesquite,
Your math doesn't add up. Are you saying that Arizona picked up another seat in the House?
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 09:13 am
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz112912dAPR20121129124556.jpg
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 09:14 am
http://p.twimg.com/A7pIHEoCIAApvAf.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:03 am
@H2O MAN,
Goodbye waterbrain!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:12 am
@Setanta,
Yes, Arizona picked up a new seat in the house which prompted a major redrawing of the lines. Here is how it shook out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:31 am
We now have the worst lame duck congress in history, and the republicans still don't want to deal? And their holdout is for - reducing taxes for the rich.

They're insane!

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
No, they're holding out for specific changes to eligibility for medicare, medicaid, and SS and they want those specifics to come from Obama. There's no way in hell he's going to give them more than he has on entitlements unless they ask for it. I think ultimately we'll see a gradual increase in the eligibility for medicare up to 68 or whatever the SS eligibility is, but you're not going to see it come from the Dems first. I really think it will happen but he's going to make the Republicans be the ones who face the wrath of the AARP/elderly.
0 Replies