American Conservatism In 2012 & Beyond

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 11:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Again, show me a state where pro-life bills are being put forth by women elected to their legislatures and (if there are any) that those women are not Christians then we'll continue.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 11:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The so-called White Male Patriarchy is a favorite target of the Left

Always has been. They deserve it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 11:42 am
@JPB,
You,
Quote:
Show me someone who is putting forth personhood legislation that isn't a Christian and I might believe you.

They can't see the forest for the trees. They have the habit of making a challenge without thinking about it, because they challenge without facts.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 02:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No it's not Finn, what's absurd is that you claim to be advancing the cause of life by promoting policies that condemn large numbers of children to a life of poverty and squallor. You also advocate a dramatic upsurge in the kill rate in the Middle East.

The fact that you seem to think that this is an entirely reasonable position shows how divorced from reality you, and those like you, really are.

Historically things have started off in America and ended up in Britain, Rock & Roll, Coca-Cola etc. Even films used to take six months to make their way over here. The decline in religious nutjobs is something that started over here a long time ago, and now it's established itself on your fair shores. It's something you should welcome, as Yeats said,

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

(That could sum up the first presidential debate come to think of it.)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:49 pm
@JPB,
Try this...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/08/americans-united-for-life-anti-abortion-transvaginal-ultrasound
JPB

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:59 pm
@mysteryman,
From their homepage

Quote:
AUL’S PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF SUCCESS

With more than 40 years of pro-life legal leadership, AUL has a distinguished record of accomplishments. A few key victories stand out as representative of AUL’s unique contributions to pro-life success.

1. Winning the Hyde Amendment Case Before the U.S. Supreme Court.

In 1980, Americans United for Life won a historic victory for the Hyde Amendment in Harris v. McRae case before the U.S. Supreme Court. AUL attorney Victor Rosenblum argued the case before the Court, resulting in a favorable decision and ending a four-year court battle. This monumental court decision upholds federal and state prohibitions on public funding of abortion except in the case of the life of the mother.

2. Establishing Fetal-Homicide Legislation in 36 states.

A fetal-homicide law recognizes an unborn child as a potential victim of criminal violence. AUL’s legal experts laid the intellectual groundwork to implement this legislation nationwide. At the time of the Roe decision in 1973, only three states enforced these protective laws. Today 36 states have fetal homicide laws in place. Twenty-four of those states even protect the child beginning at conception.

3. Defending Life, Reducing Abortions State by State.

According to scholar Dr. Michael J. New, AUL’s crucial work in helping parental involvement laws, informed consent laws and limits on taxpayer funding of abortions has reduced abortions across the country by an estimated 25 percent since 1992 when the Supreme Court started allowing significant abortion limitations. In 2006, AUL decided to make its legal knowledge accessible to pro-life legislators and activists across the country and published the first edition of Defending Life, which instantly became known as the “legal bible of the pro-life community.”

4. A Leading Role in the Fight Against Assisted Suicide.

In 1980, AUL published an important book on “Death, Dying and Euthanasia,” and has continued to be involved in every significant case, at the state and federal level, about assisted suicide, including the extensive role AUL played in Baxter v. Montana in 2009.

5. Successfully Protecting Life Overseas.

In 1979, AUL played a pivotal role in amending the Irish Constitution to protect life by precluding abortion. At a pro-life conference in Ireland, AUL was consulted about abortion and the role Roe v. Wade played in the US. Subsequently, AUL engaged in an extensive educational and media campaign in Ireland. Eventually, the Irish people amended their constitution, and Ireland remains one of the strongest pro-life nations in Europe, and a target of the international pro-abortion Left. Their pro-life constitution is being challenged currently before the European Court of Human Rights in a case in which Senior Vice President William Saunders is a consultant.

Sounds worse than ALEC!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:38 pm
@JPB,
Frankly I don't know the religions of most legislators, nor do I think it is relevant unless you intend to base your opposition on politicians based on their faith.

My point was that one doesn't have to be a Christian to believe that human life begins at conception.

Your obviously are certain in your opinion that it does not, but, once again, it's merely an opinion. This isn't like evolution.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's not about their "faith." It's about their incessant push to legislate their religious beliefs on the rest of this country.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The thing is Finn, criminalising abortion doesn't work, it just drives it undergound, and puts womens lives at risk. If you're serious about reducing abortion you need to put contraception at the top of the agenda.

Those who make the most noise about abortion tend to hold similar views on contraception.

In the end it's all about forcing your morality on someone else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:19 pm
@izzythepush,
That's not morality; it's politics at its worst. If they care so much for every life, why aren't they supporting sick babies without food and/or shelter?

They're just a bunch of religious hypocrites. Love thy neighbor doesn't even exist for them. It's help the rich get richer; their primary goal.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:20 pm
@izzythepush,
First of all, banning abortion and criminalizing it are not the same unless the legislation include penalties against the woman seeking the abortion, and most do not.

Secondly, you're wrong on the subject of contraception, unless you include medication that induces an abortion as a contraceptive.

Finally, it doesn't much matter to me whether or not you think I'm serious about anything and so I don't think I'll be taking your advice on how to prove my bonafides.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How true CI! Pro-Life advocates not only don't care about poor kids,they actually hope they will starve to death.

You really are a pinched old fool.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You,
Quote:
How true CI! Pro-Life advocates not only don't care about poor kids,they actually hope they will starve to death.

How would they know? They just want to control the women's body until birth, then leave them to fund their life - even if it's a young 12 year old mother, because that's what god intended; even if its rape.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm sorry I've made fun of your age and dementia. It won't happen again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, please, keep it up; it makes you look like the clod that you are! Mr. Green
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:52 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
The so-called White Male Patriarchy is a favorite target of the Left

Always has been. They deserve it.

lol
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As if anything I wrote would have changed that.

I think I can live with the nature of your regard for me.

You get a lot of that kind of disgust and disdain, dontcha?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 03:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Secondly, you're wrong on the subject of contraception, unless you include medication that induces an abortion as a contraceptive.

No I'm not, you're refusing to face facts.

Quote:
House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), a Catholic, fueled the political firestorm by making a rare floor speech vowing to block the requirement that most faith-based employers, including Catholic ones, offer contraception, regardless of their religious beliefs. Churches and other houses of worship are exempt.

The campaign of Mitt Romney, a leading candidate for the GOP presidential nomination, said the rule "compels religious institutions to violate the tenets of their own faith," and Romney vowed to strike it down.

Democrats and Republicans used the controversy to appeal for contributions from their traditional political bases, a strategy that carries risks as well as rewards. At a time when independents and moderates can sway general elections, turning up the heat on a social issue could prove distracting and annoying to voters who are more concerned about unemployment and the sluggish economy.

Amid the rising clamor, administration officials are exploring the possibility of implementing the rule so that religiously affiliated employers could offer supplemental policies, known as riders, for contraception or direct workers to insurance companies that sell such riders.

Even if Catholic voters and independents agree with the White House on substance, the administration doesn't want to appear insensitive to the concerns of the Catholic Church.

Women's groups would be likely to vigorously oppose any alteration of the rule.

"It's absolutely amazing in the year 2012 there is controversy over women's access to birth control," said Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) during a conference call with other Democratic lawmakers. "One's health benefit should not depend on who the boss is."

Republican leaders on Capitol Hill, although emphasizing that their top priority remains jobs, focused escalating rhetoric, and most of the day's attention, on the administration's birth control policy.

"This attack by the federal government on religious freedom in our country cannot stand and will not stand," Boehner said.

Other GOP presidential hopefuls have chimed in too. Rick Santorum accused Obama of trying to "impose his secular values on the people of this country."

Newt Gingrich labeled the policy "the most outrageous assault on religious liberty in American history."

But polls indicate that voters, even Catholic ones, agree that contraceptives should be offered by health plans, even those of faith-based employers. That gives Democrats hope they can benefit from the high-stakes battle.

"This makes Republicans look more extreme," said Eddie Vale, a spokesman for Protect Your Care, a health advocacy organization that has been leading attacks on GOP candidates opposed to the new healthcare law. "It's another concrete benefit they want to take away."

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/08/nation/la-na-contraceptives-fight-20120209

Btw, I don't think you're the biggest arsehole on A2K, but I do think that you're turning into Yesterday's man. Unless you come to terms with today's changing demographics and political realities, you, and your party, will become more extreme and irrelevant in equal measure.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 08:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

How do you define the pill? The one millions of women take every day? Contraceptive, or abortifacient?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 08:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
http://www.ericgarland.co/2012/11/09/letter-to-a-future-republican-strategist-regarding-white-people/