American Conservatism In 2012 & Beyond

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:30 am
I think the conservative news bubble needs to be explored. If folks who tend to vote R get most of their news from within the conservative news bubble then they will remain clueless as to what's going on around them in the rest of the country. This article makes the same point.

Quote:
Throughout much of the general election, Republican activists and pundits were more prone to attack the sampling methods of public polls than to consider the possibility that they’d face a historically diverse, unexpectedly Democratic-leaning electorate on Nov. 6. That mind-set of denial collided with objective reality yesterday.

“The conservative media bubble is totally self-defeating for us. It denies us any realistic view of the real world of the general election, assuming instead that all politics is simply an extension of the Republican primary. It blindly drives us off one cliff after another,” said Republican presidential strategist Mike Murphy. “We will not win the real world of big-turnout, presidential-year politics until our bubble realizes that a big world exists outside the precincts of the Republican primary.”

Said Murphy: “Much of the conservative media bubble, with its isolation, denial and semi-paranoia, only incentivized us to lose general elections.”More
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:26 am
I think another point is that despite this being a somewhat close election, Obama won more electoral votes than any Republican since Reagan and that's without Florida. Extreme politics is not moving the needle the right way in battleground states.
parados

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:29 am
@engineer,
And what's interesting about that is the increase in EVs in Texas, Fl and other southern states while states in the Northeast are losing EVs should result in Republicans getting more EVs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:32 am
Herman Cain is the first, but certainly won't be the last, to call for the creation of a new conservative party.

http://nation.foxnews.com/herman-cain/2012/11/07/herman-cain-calls-third-party
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:33 am
@JPB,
YES.

I was talking about that a lot before the election, and have been having the same thoughts since.

I was just thinking about the Karl Rove/ Dick Morris implosion and whether it means anything.

The Karl Rove thing was just too perfect. "Math that Republicans use to make themselves feel better." Running right smack into reality. (Just in case anyone is not aware of this -- Karl Rove was in front of the cameras on Fox saying that the numbers guys at Fox shouldn't have called Ohio for Obama. Megyn Kelly had to go back and interview them and they were like, um, this is what the numbers say. We're confident.)

I see some people here parroting Fox talking points and I really want to say, have you learned nothing? These people (Rove, Morris et al) are completely out of touch with reality. They made concrete predictions, confidently, that were tested and turned out to be WRONG. Really wrong.

I do think there is something seriously dangerous about the bubble, and how it allows people to think they're getting actual news when it's just plain not. It's propaganda.

This is on both sides of course, though Fox is a particular offender.

I was reading something that I'm not sure I remember enough of to find back, about rules about what can be shown on TV changing in (the late 80's?), giving rise to the partisan "news" shows. It's a relatively recent development, and I think it's really dangerous. Before that, a news show was not allowed to show bias (something like this), it had to be reasonably perceived as neutral.

Of course that's a whole other problem with the current climate -- since Fox et al somehow have some actual credibility, they are able to claim that something fact-based is "biased," and so nonsense enters the discourse that way as relatively neutral news sources don't want to piss off the Fox bloc and so publish nonsense in the interest of being fair and balanced, when nonsense has no business being published.
JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:13 am
@sozobe,
Amazing Fact of the Day

The Sunlight Foundation finds Karl Rove's American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS spent more than $200 million on the elections but backed no winning candidates.

tweet
JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:16 am
@JPB,
This, to me, was the greatest success of this election cycle. Citizen's United LOST!

kackleyZ profile

kackleyZ He's a gambling man MT @OpenSecretsDC: Sheldon Adelson gave the most cash in cycle: $53M+. Most of his picks lost. bit.ly/SuOkzn 17 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:57 am
And conservatives will have to decide if they're going to stand up to the religious right.

Quote:

politicalwire profile

politicalwire Franklin Graham says Obama election will lead to nation's destruction: "I want to warn America: God is coming around. " pwire.at/RKOjIC
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:50 pm
@jcboy,
I believe I heard comments much like this one around 1976 or so.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:57 pm
@sozobe,
The only unbiased radio station in my area is public radio. All the other stations are either conservative or conservative leaning. Couldent listen to a liberal station if I wanted too.
parados

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:06 pm
@RABEL222,
Don't you know that public radio is liberal? It gives out facts and facts clearly have a liberal bias.
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
silly, nothing outside the US could possibly have any impact on the US

that's why the US economic problems are all Obama's fault

are you clear now

Razz
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:52 pm
@engineer,
I'm sure I could find them, but you could do so just as easily.

I'm not trying to be flip, I just see no reason to work at providing you with what you can obtain for yourself.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:57 pm
@JPB,
How does a Supreme Court decision "lose?"

And billions of dollars were spent on both sides...to leave us precisely where we started.

The hundreds of millions of dollars spent by the Right didn't achieve the intended goal, but they were spent and they will be spent again.

Do you really believe that the hundreds of millions of dollars that were spent by the Left came from small donations from Mr and Mrs John Q Public?

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nope. It would be sad if they did. I think nearly a billion dollars went into an advertising sinkhole. I can think of a billion other ways that a billion dollars could be put to good use, but a sinkhole when it's coming from those who are trying to buy an election is a pretty good place for it.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:05 pm
@JPB,
Neal Boortz actually made some sense, for a change.

http://www.boortz.com/weblogs/nealz-nuze/2012/nov/08/republican-party-let-me-help-you-out/

Quote:
The Republican Party needs an exorcism. It needs to rid itself of these abortocentrist nutcases who are chasing away voters, particularly women. This is about as clearly as I can say it: Abortion is NEVER going to be illegal. Get over it! The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you will be able to regain credibility with the voters. Your boys Todd Aiken, Richard Mourdock and John Koster chased away millions of female voters with their idiotic remarks about abortion … and they cost us two seats in the Senate. How bad was it? Romney carried Mourdock’s home county in Indiana! His opponent, Joe Donnelly, was the first Democrat to win a statewide race in Indiana in more than a decade! Are you listening, Republicans? Mourdock was a shoo-in! Then he opened his yap about abortion, and women went screaming for the exits. What did he say? Well – simply put – the message to women was that if you’ve been raped, don’t worry your pretty little selves over whether or not you might be pregnant, because if you are it is, after all, a gift from God!

Now here’s the problem, dear GOP leaders. Read this quote from Wayne Parke. He’s the Chairman of the Vanderburgh County Republican Party. That’s Murdock’s home country --- the one he lost:

"I was quite surprised and disappointed that Mourdock didn't carry his own county. But it's an indication that everything you say is so important and that debate comment he made just turned out to be disastrous."

Duhhhhhhh! Really? You’ve learned that lesson now, have you, Mr. Parke? Could you please send some memos to the Republican National Headquarters? Who knows --- if you and the GOP leaders had figured this out months ago, and if the word had gone out that GOP candidates needed to shut the hell up about abortion --- maybe things would look quite a bit different today.

The same goes for gay marriage. If you can make the case that a married gay couple living down the street from you, or across town for that matter, is going to have any negative impact on your own life, then I would say that we need to have a debate on the subject. Nobody has shown me that yet, so how about getting your GOP noses out of other people’s bedrooms? I’ve been on the air for years and never in my 42 years of talk radio has anyone been able to tell me how Joe and Steve living down the block in wedded bliss will have any impact on their life. Come into the 21st century with me on this one and just leave the issue the hell alone. If you’re so determined to defend the institution of marriage – the concept of committed couples living together in a dedicated relationship – then why don’t you turn your attention to Hollywood. Forget about demonizing a gay couple that is every bit as much in love and committed as you are to your spouse. Aim your derision on the Hollywood crowd that looks at marriage as not much more than a new car – something to be traded in on a new model in two years.

And when it comes to immigration, rounding up all the Mexicans in this country and sending them back to Mexico is never, ever going to happen. Do you hear that? It ISN’T going to happen! Does it occur to you that these people come here because they WANT to work? Do you really have such a huge problem with aspirational people? So come up with a reasonable policy on immigration reform, and lock down the borders. No problem with that. But give up this asinine idea that those already here – those who have been here for years – are going to be loaded into railroad cars and sent back to Mexico. Do you really want that? Do you really want to depend on those Americans who would rather spend their days hanging around convenience store scratching goo off lottery tickets instead of putting in an honest days work? Do you really want to pay $16 for a BLT? Yeah .. that’s right. Scare the folks with the actual work ethic away while pampering the moochers and leaches. Yeah .. that works. What do you think a Hispanic American citizen thinks when he sees a political party dedicate itself to the cause of taking a young female college student – a young lady who has lived here since her parents brought her here illegally when she was three – and deporting her to a country she has never known? Do you think it’s likely that Hispanic citizen is going to vote for your candidate? Tell me how that works.

Stop crying in your beer and listen up. America is going to suffer another four years under Obama because of YOU. The Republican party blew this one --- big time. Abortion – gay marriage – immigration reform. The perfect electoral storm, and you couldn’t have played it any worse. Leave these issues alone! Drop them! If the GOP cannot turn loose of this mindless social conservatism, then you will be relegated to second class status (politically speaking) for the remaining days of this Republic, which may not be all that many. The Republican Party as it currently stands needs to die. Like a phoenix, it needs to burst into flames and from its ashes rebuild into a party focused on …

Limited government
Tax reform
A strong military
The rule of law
Reducing regulations
Promoting capitalism – especially small businesses
Restoring self-reliance
Honoring the Constitution

Did you see abortion or gay marriage on that list? Didn’t think so. The Republicans need to become more Libertarian and less religiously authoritarian or the Party is dead. It’s amazing that these social conservatives have managed to screw this country they claim to love so much by handing Democrats victories this week thanks to these social issues.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:10 pm
@JPB,
It appears that you agree that Democrat "forces" tried (and apparently succeeded) in buying the election.

Which in no way suggests you don't think Republican "forces" tried to do the same, but came up short.
Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:33 pm
@DrewDad,
Neil Boortz, as quoted by DrewDad, wrote:
Limited government
Tax reform
A strong military
The rule of law
Reducing regulations
Promoting capitalism – especially small businesses
Restoring self-reliance
Honoring the Constitution

Did you see abortion or gay marriage on that list? Didn’t think so. The Republicans need to become more Libertarian and less religiously authoritarian or the Party is dead. It’s amazing that these social conservatives have managed to screw this country they claim to love so much by handing Democrats victories this week thanks to these social issues.

While such a reform would make the Republican Party much more attractive to me personally, I doubt it would work politically for Republicans. In a country where majorities decide elections and only a small minority consists of capitalists, a party can't win elections just by limiting government, deregulating industry, cutting taxes on top-earners, and otherwise promoting capitalism. You may or may not like religious loonies, but they are the Republican Party's boots on the ground. If the GOP stops catering to them, who will replace them in those boots?
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
the repubs have got to learn how to talk to women and minorities

Shouldn't be hard. They already have binders full of them.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:07 pm
@engineer,
Sounds like a bunch. Of greedy, selfish people.
0 Replies