Birthday gift for grandchildren

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:05 pm
Since our grandchildren have reached the age that they are hard to buy for,(and they have everything they desire) my wife and I have resorted to gift cards. This has worked well until today. We were informed by our daughter that cash would be better since she has to buy the gift cards from the children because they don't want to shop at the stores the gift cards are from. Personally I feel that this is a bit ridiculous, and think that any gift should be received graciously. Am I out of touch or is this acceptable now?

Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:17 pm
@Papajohn,
I'm 62 and feel that a gift should be received graciously.So if you're out of ouch, so am I. However, if the children don't shop in the store, find a store that works out better for both you and them.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:25 pm
@Papajohn,
No, I don't think she's being ridiculous. What is the point of giving gifts people don't use or want? You could ask your daughter to find out which stores they would like gift cards to and buy those. Isn't that the point of giving a gift, anyway? I think you're being unreasonable and I don't think you'd like getting gift cards you wouldn't use, either.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 07:12 pm
I have a few friends that I have no idea what to get them for Christmas so I’ll be giving Visa gift cards this way they can use it anytime and for anything they like.
0 Replies

hyperdereky1

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:57 pm
@Papajohn,
Talk to your grandchildren and find out their favorite types of items.

Eg: Maybe they just want you to be with them (Awwwwwwwww.)

Eg: If they like electronics, buy them the latest technology (Guaranteed they don't have all of them)

Eg: If they like dolls and stuffed animals, give them a customed or limited edition. Personally, I would get like the biggest stuffed toy possible like those giant bears you see except bigger.

Eg: If they just want cash, you might as well give up on those ungrateful brats

I'm younger than 20 and I suppose your grand children are too.

Pour all your family-love potion into everything and I'm sure they will appreciate it.
0 Replies

Papajohn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:45 am
@Papajohn,
Thank you all for your responses. I have since found out what is going on with the grandchildren not wanting gift cards to Target and Walmart. They know how to manipulate and have realized that in those stores they can get their mother to buy them anything they want so they don't want cards from there. Why would they want to spend their money when Mom will spend hers? As far as our daughter buying back the gift cards, I told her to only pay half of the face value of the card and they would probably be very happy to spend them instead of sell them to her. Thanks again for your responses!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:53 am
@Papajohn,
That sounds like a good alternative/compromise.

Sounds like your daughter still has some learning to do on how to deal with manipulative kids.
Enzo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 10:02 am
@ehBeth,
Ya, those are the best kinds of kids, and their parents are specimens that are more intriguing to watch in how they spend time and conduct themselves around such kids.
0 Replies

hyperdereky1

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:42 am
@Papajohn,
rofl! im likin' those kidz
0 Replies