Firefly??????........

BillRM

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 08:59 am
Anyone know if Firefly is ok as she had not posted here since Sandy visit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 3,266 • Replies: 45

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 09:13 am
@BillRM,
gah.

Joe(no. I have no information)Nation
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:20 am
Right before Sandy, she and I had been messaging each other. Once the storm hit, I haven't heard a single word from her. I'm a bit concerned about her. She said she was right in the path of the storm. If I hear from here, I will let you know.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:47 am
@Arella Mae,
Thanks.

Keep trying to reach her.

Joe
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 06:39 pm
I hope everything is okay. It’s possible she is still without power, or busy cleaning up the mess after the storm.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:22 pm
I have no info either, just hoping that she's ok.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 12:38 am
@Ceili,
i would miss the old broad if she went and got herself drowned by that bitch Sandy.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:06 am
I was without power and heat for 8 days, from the Monday of last week until late this past Tuesday evening. The power was almost completely knocked out around here and it really took them a while to get it restored. They finally got it turned on on my block on Monday evening but, because I had downed power lines in my back yard, they couldn't turn it on in my house until late Tuesday, so I had another night and day in a freezing house--everything in my house needs electricity, my furnace, my stove, and just about everything else--and the outside temperature was in the low 30's.

We had to sleep in three layers of clothing, with hats, gloves, and mufflers, under 3 layers of blankets. Even my dog was wearing a sweater and coat, because it was so cold in the house. The lack of heat was the worst part of the power loss because it was the most difficult to deal with and we had below normal temperatures. We had no hot water, only freezing cold water, so trying to wash oneself was impossible. By this past Sunday, I was almost ready to go to a shelter because I couldn't take being in such a cold house anymore, but there was only one place we could go to with my dog and she's not well at the moment and I didn't think I could manage her there, so I decided to stay put. But it really was rough, and, by the time they got the power on, I was really at the end of my rope and at the breaking point. Tuesday night, when I finally had power back, I didn't have enough energy left to even turn on the computer, I just crawled into bed and waited for the house to heat up--which took several hours--and I went to sleep.

Then yesterday, they began warning about the Nor'easter that was coming, and they feared the additional power outages that would cause. And, sure enough, my power went back out at about 6 pm last night while a thick wet snow was coming down outside. I just wanted to scream, out of overwheming frustration, but, fortunately, that outage only lasted about half an hour, so, at the moment, I still have power, but my lights keep flickering and every time that happens my heart sinks. Unfortunately, last night's storm did significantly increase the number of power outages for others in the area.

I still have power lines down in my backyard, they have huge tree limbs on top of them. The pole and meter that connects the power line to my house was ripped from the house when the limbs fell, but I was able to get an electrician to replace and re-attach them. When our local power company showed up Tuesday they re-connected the power line to the pole, even though the line is still down, because of the urgent need to restore our heat after 8 days and near freezing temps. So, I don't know if they're coming back to remove the tree limbs or if I have to get a tree service to do that. Given that the power lines are now active, I think the power company might need to do that. My brain is still so rattled from this past week and a half I just feel like I just don't want to deal with any more stress, at least for a day or so. I'm just glad we didn't get enough snow last night to bring down more limbs on our property. Right now I am listening to melting snow plopping off my roof and hoping the power stays on.

My landline phone has so much static I can't even hear who's calling me. Right after the storm, even the cell phone service was knocked out for a while except for emergency calls. I have a new-found appreciation for battery operated radios and my daily newspaper which were my main source of outside news for over a week. Apart from the obvious physical discomforts of no electricity or heat, boredom becomes another major problem in dealing with this sort of situation--one of my neighbors told me he was really going out of his mind from that, even reading becomes difficult when you are sitting in a freezing house.

Having said all of that, I feel rather lucky compared to others in this area who were severely affected by flooding, since that's the one problem I didn't have. So many homes were completely destroyed leaving people without anything, and it's really heartbreaking. In addition, the sewage systems in those areas were affected and the water supply in those areas was contaminated. In the community next to mine, sewage came up through some roads on residential streets and flooded several homes ruining everything inside on the ground floor and making those homes inhabitable--and this was in an area not directly affected by surge flooding during the storm, and it's something that never happened around here before. There is still a lack of gas for cars and generators--there are long lines at the one or two stations in this community that have gas, just for people to fill up containers to power generators, and they have police cars stationed to keep people from fighting with each other because some have tried to crash lines. There are still some traffic signals not working, even on main roads, and stores have had problems getting deliveries to re-stock shelves. Things are getting back to normal, but slowly, and last night's storm was something we didn't need in this area.

So, that's what's been going on with firefly.

As soon as I feel a little better, and more normal, I want to get involved with the relief efforts going on in my area to help those who have been left homeless or without adequate clothing, or blankets, or food. They have been using our local community/rec center as a main distribution center for such items and the auditorium is piled high with bags of donated items. People are really trying to pitch in and help. But, idiots, like BillRM, and Hawkeye, who don't think you need the government to help during a crisis, and emergency, like this, are out of their minds. There are definitely limits to what people can do for themselves, particularly when they lack homes, or power, or heat, for extended periods.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:10 am
@firefly,
Glad you're okay!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:27 am
@firefly,
Glad you're okay, I've missed your posts Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:44 am
Hoorah! firefly is back and feeling Groovy.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:49 am
@firefly,
Quote:
But, idiots, like BillRM, and Hawkeye, who don't think you need the government to help during a crisis, and emergency, like this, are out of their minds

Is is not nice and a warm feeling to have such a loving woman back with us!!!!!
She even were kind enough to take the time to name call me and Hawkeye.

I strongly suggest however that having food and water on hand for a week or more along with a generator/fuel for and in a cold climate having aux means of heating your home or at least parts of your home is not a bad idea at all.

People who live in the Hurricane danger zones in Florida had learn that lesson the hard way and no I would not need outside help after such a storm for a number of weeks at least and that include even pet food.

Being comfortable with power and food and water to spare during such emergency does not even cost all that amount of money.

The last time we lost power for a few days I even was in the position to provide some power by the way of heavy extension cords to my neighbors. I did however in return did ask them to be the onces to go out and wait in the long lines to get more fuel for the generators.

Welcome back Firefly!!!!!!!!!!!
sozobe

@firefly,
Wow, what an ordeal! Thanks for checking in and glad you're OK.

I know what you mean about the deep cold of being in an unheated house for an extended amount of time. We had power knocked out by a massive ice storm in 2004, we tried to tough it out but after about three days we just couldn't take it anymore. I'm used to going out in cold weather and being able to deal with it so it doesn't seem like it could be that bad, but it can!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Cheers!!!

joe(<whew>)Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:53 am
Glad you're ok, ff. I hope things smooth out from here.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:54 am
@firefly,
Quote:
there are long lines at the one or two stations in this community that have gas, just for people to fill up containers to power generators

The problem is not lack of gas but lack of power to pump that gas out of the ground for most stations when the line power fail.

Once more South Florida had learn it lesson and all gas stations are now require to have on site power to keep the pumps working during a large area power failure for whatever reason.

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:25 pm
@firefly,
Once more Firefly I would like to thank you for taking the time to aim a personal insult toward me and Hawkeye in your very first posting.

It kind of nice to have your old self back online................

I am also very glad that even those you did not take any steps ahead of time to survive for a week or so without the normal public utilities being available you soldier on.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:28 pm
Welcome home, Firefly.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

i would miss the old broad if she went and got herself drowned by that bitch Sandy.

Spoken like a true sexist.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:41 pm
Firefly, I'm very relieved you're okay. That sounded terrible, and I am fully aware of what it's like to live in the frozen North. No heat, no hot water, no cooking facilities, no lights, tv, radio or computer! Wow.

What did you eat? Did you get together with your neighbours at all? Did you go out?

Wonder if there's such a thing as a battery operated heater. Was there anything you could have burned to keep warm?

Glad you're all okay and back with us. I, too, missed your posts.