jespah

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:48 pm
@firefly,
Egad. Glad you're okay.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:51 pm
@firefly,
(((Hugs))) for the safe return of our returning word gamestress!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:41 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Welcome back Firefly!!!!!!!!!!!

I was happy to see it when you'd posted wondering how she was.

Your trio has a crazy dynamic Cool
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:57 pm
@ehBeth,
What it makes me think of is a quote from the movie Little Shop of Horrors, "Feed me, Seymour!"

Welcome back, Firefly! You were missed.

I think I could handle 2 or 3 days without power. I wouldn't like no heat at all! After 2 days w/o power, I'd then be taking off for some warm climate.
Oh wait, I did that (moved to Hurricane country from NY.). Little did I know...Hurriance country moved to the northeast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@firefly,
Oh my. I do hope things are back to normal normal soon.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I
Quote:
was happy to see it when you'd posted wondering how she was.

Your trio has a crazy dynamic

Yes, I and I guess Hawkeye have strange feelings toward the old witch and this website surely would not be the same without her names callings in for example charging me with being such charming things as a drunk, drunk driver, rapist, pedophile/CP trader and so on for daring to disagree with her on such subjects as the proper BAC levels to declare someone is drunk driving, or the degree of punishment call for in having CP files on computers and so on.

It was a nice warm feelings having her take the time in her first return posting to call Hawkeye and I idiots and thereby letting us know that she had return from her ordeal in the same condition as before.

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:26 pm
@BillRM,
Well, if the shoe fits, wear it! I'm just amazed that she talks to you 2 at all! She has far more patience and perserverance than I've ever seen.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:37 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Well, if the shoe fits, wear it! I'm just amazed that she talks to you 2 at all! She has far more patience and perserverance than I've ever seen.

She get a thrill it would seems in name callings such people as Hawkeye and myself as there was no real reason/excuse to call us idiots in her first return posting.

It just her being her charming self and that strangely this website would be a more boring place without her charming self on it.
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:46 pm
@BillRM,
You apprently don't read other people's posts or have zero comprehension. At the risk of repeating, I'll restate what I wrote: she seems to have infinite patience dealing with the likes of the 2 of you. She presents painstakingly logical arguments and both of you 2 distort or misinterpret to suit your own purposes.
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
i wish someone hated me enough to bad mouth me the moment they got their power back Crying or Very sad
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
She presents painstakingly logical arguments and both of you 2 distort or misinterpret to suit your own purposes.

Sorry name calling is not using logic and attacking someone for taking the position that for example CP punishment is to harsh in the US and that is the same position that the majority of federal judges happen to share means that the person taking that position must be a CP trader is not using logic or even commonsense.

Accusing someone as being a drunk driver due to him taking the position that BAC of .08 is too low for DUI cut off point and that position being the same position taken by the founder of MADD is not rational.

Firefly is many many things but a rational debater is not one of them.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:28 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i wish someone hated me enough to bad mouth me the moment they got their power back

You to can get on her list by just daring to disagree with her on one of her many issues she is emotionally invested in with special note of the issue of rape due to invalid consent.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 04:20 pm
Thanks, everyone, for the warm and kind welcome back. The warmth was particularly appreciated after 8 days in a very cold house. Smile

My power was just off again for another hour and a half, but this time our power company had turned it off because they were removing a large tree that fell on power lines near here last night and they had to cut the power to remove the tree. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the lights came on again.

It's hard to stock up on an adequate supply of non-perishable food, that's palatable, for a very extended period. Beside the usual things like peanut butter, canned tuna, etc., I bought a huge supply of high protein bars, and meal replacement bars, and those did come in fairly handy and tasted reasonably good. But one does long for a hot meal, or drink, when sitting in the cold for days, and that was hard to come by until restaurants and some take-out places began opening. Most of the places that sell or serve hot food around here were not open right after Sandy breezed by, and those few that were, like an isolated Dunkin Donuts, had long lines outside of them of people just waiting to buy hot coffee in the morning. We weren't able to go out to get a decent hot meal until Sunday, and that was a long stretch.

Now the Red Cross is sending out mobile units with hot meals to help those still stuck in cold houses, but there really isn't good communication, so I don't know how people can find them. They've finally opened many more warming stations than they had open last week, so that's good, and the temperatures should warm up considerably over the weekend which should help those still without power and heat, at least a little. I can't imagine how those with young children are managing in cold homes without a lot to feed those children. Not everyone can afford to eat out over so many days, the schools were closed last week, and again today because of last night's storm, so there wasn't even that option to get the children meals. As happy as I am to have my power and heat back, I am really very bothered thinking about those who still don't have it--and, even worse, those who don't even have homes now.

We've weathered lots of bad storms, of all sorts, in the past, but nothing quite like this with such widespread, very extended, power outages all over. Last March our power was out for 5 days, but it was a limited outage, we had one working outlet in a bedroom and one in the kitchen, and we had power for the furnace, so it was much more tolerable and computer access was possible, and other past outages have never generally been beyond a day or two because we have a very efficient local power company that only has to serve a limited area, so they can generally get things up and running pretty quickly. But this storm really was something else...

I don't know how the early settlers did it. I'm definitely not cut from pioneering stock. Laughing

Uh oh, my lights just flickered again...
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 04:27 pm
@firefly,
I just saw on CNN that Gov. Cuomo just fired the head of FEMA for NY for having contractors work on his own home first.

Nice! Love to see this guy find a real job now.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 04:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

The problem is not lack of gas but lack of power to pump that gas out of the ground for most stations when the line power fail.

No, the main problem around here is lack of gas.

People have begun siphoning/stealing gas out of cars--I figured that was going to start happening.
Mame

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 04:54 pm
@firefly,
How do they get the gas door thingy open? Mine only opens from inside the car. I guess they would just pry it, eh?

Edit: There's always someone who thinks they and their needs/wants are more important than someone else's.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:01 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
No, the main problem around here is lack of gas.

People have begun siphoning/stealing gas out of cars--I figured that was going to start happening.

Lack of gas as most gas stations can not pump the gas out of their tanks.

Next with most modern cars it is damn hard to siphon gas out of the car tanks due to the the cars tanks being design not to allow a tube down into the tank.

Once when I needed to get gas out of a car of mine I needed to do so by way of the gas line to the engine because of that feature.
Mame

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:04 pm
@BillRM,
Maybe a lot of people drive older cars?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:05 pm
@firefly,
Cuomo fires emergency management chief

http://www.knickledger.com/2012/11/cuomo-fires-oem-director/
firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:07 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
What did you eat? Did you get together with your neighbors at all? Did you go out?

Wonder if there's such a thing as a battery operated heater. Was there anything you could have burned to keep warm?

I certainly got to see more of my neighbors than usual, and we tried to help each other out, and we shared information about what was going on, what was open, etc., because communication is hampered under these conditions and you start relying on word of mouth. But they were in cold houses too, so there wasn't much point in getting together. Public places, like the libraries, weren't open right away--it took a few days--so we couldn't even huddle there to stay warm. They finally opened our rec center on Saturday so people could warm up, re-charge cell phones, etc.

We have a fireplace, but it doesn't really throw heat into the room, and, because we haven't used it in years, and the chimney consequently hasn't been cleaned in some time, trying to burn anything in it would have risked putting carbon monoxide into the room. As far as I know, none of my neighbors used their fireplaces for similar reasons.

We went out mainly to drive around a little, just to see what was happening, and to re-charge the cell phone in the car. The car also has a heater, so it was much more comfortable than the house. No matter how warmly you dress, sitting in a cold house all day chills you to the bone.
Quote:
No heat, no hot water, no cooking facilities, no lights, tv, radio or computer! Wow

It was a very weird 8 days--it was sort of like being in a state of suspended animation because you can't really do much of anything--and the lack of TV and computers really makes you feel cut off and isolated from the outside world. Thank goodness for the radio--without it the sheer boredom would have been truly horrible--and the local paper did a great job of keeping people informed, they really rose to the occasion.

I just hope we don't have another "weather event" for quite some time. It's really draining, going through this sort of stress, I still feel rather wrung out.

I'm glad to be back. I missed this place, and all of you.