Firefly??????........

firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:32 pm
@Ragman,
Cuomo is really breathing fire, and I think even more heads will roll before this episode ends. I admire the way he's acting.

Gov. Christie just looks plain worn out.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:33 pm
@firefly,
The north east states might wish to consider forcing all gas stations to have back up power for their pumps.

To do so is not cheap as if memory service me correctly the cost per station run around 20,000 dollars but the people of south florida consider it a cost that were well justify.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The north east states might wish to consider forcing all gas stations to have back up power for their pumps.

The problem around here is not lack of power--there is a shortage of gas.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:03 pm
@firefly,
You might wish to get a hold of a small two cycle generator for a few hundreds dollars that can be carry with one hand and yet put out enough power to light your home and run your electronic. Pep boys sell one model that I love and it run forever on 5 gals of gas.

As far as cooking there is all kind of small/tiny cooking stoves that can be found at most camping stores or even Walmart and in fact some of the modern military rations with a long shelf life that can be purchase have self heaters build into them. They are not cheap and I just go with a small camping stove myself.

For safety one or two battery power CO detectors can be picked up cheaply that give peace of mind when using generators and even small cooking stoves or your fireplace for that matter.

The bill can be as cheap as a thousand dollars to get the means to have a must more enjoyable time the next times mother nature knock out power.

Let see oh one of those devices that is sold to jump start your car at an auto store/Walmart that have a 30 amp hour battery or so with a build in light and 12 and 120 volts converter power taps and air pump and some even a radio could be good to have around.

With that you can at least keep your cell phones charge and your laptops for that matter for a prolong period and with a home generator to recharge it battery that go beyond that time limit.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:12 pm
@BillRM,
Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:17 pm
@firefly,
I do not know the problem in your immediate area however at least part of the problem in some parts of the northeast after Sandy is gas stations with gas in the ground but no way to pump it. See below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desperate drivers continued to flood north to Connecticut in hopes of finding fuel. Gas lines snaked down surburban side streets as state troopers and local police maintained order and directed the traffic choking U.S. Route 1 , the main artery that runs parallel to Interstate 95 along the coast from New York city to Boston. The backups were mostly confined to stations in Greenwich and Stamford, the first locations across the state line. Gas stations further up the line were operating with little or not waiting.

The availability of fuel north of the city resulted largely because Connecticut dodged two major factors that crimped the flow of gasoline in New York and New Jersey. Many stations in New York City and New Jersey were without power and unable to pump gas.The closure of New York Harbor – to clear dangerous debris and check navigation buoys – delayed some tanker shipments. Most coastal Connecticut stations, by contrast, had power restored by Saturday and tanker deliveries to coastal Long Island sound gasoline terminals in Bridgeport and New Haven were largely uninterrupted.

0 Replies