What are some nutritious soft foods I can eat?

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 07:51 am
I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday and a portion of my jaw bone was removed as well. It'll take 3 months for it to heal, and I can't eat any hard foods until then. So what are some nutritious foods I can eat for the next 3 months? I'm worried I'll lose weight, since I'm already really skinny, so are there any soft foods that will help me?

Region Philbis

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 07:57 am
@PinkLipstick,

oatmeal
bananas
mashed potatoes
pasta
Rockhead

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:04 am
@Region Philbis,
mac and cheese...

and pudding.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:23 am
ice cream (maybe nuke it a quarter of a minute as you might find you're sensitive to extreme temps either way) - ice cream isn't tops in nutrition but it's calcium. Just don't overdo it.
most cooked vegs (maybe with the skin off)
fish
boiled chicken

Hang in there, and welcome to A2K.
Rockhead

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:30 am
@jespah,
scrambled eggs...

and soft toast.
jespah

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:33 am
@Rockhead,
yogurt
soft cheeses
Region Philbis

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:34 am
@jespah,

cottage cheese...
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:41 am
@PinkLipstick,
You can also drink ensure. Very nutritious.
Region Philbis

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:49 am
@jcboy,

smoothies, too...
jcboy

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 08:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Yep, I had oral surgery once and smoothies were great, nice and cold.

I remember the dentist advised me not to use a straw though because of the stitches.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
virtually everything is soft if run through a blender.
jcboy

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
LOL that’s true. I remember when I still had the stitches and I wanted a steak, well I cut it into small pieces and put it in the Cuisinart. Hey it was chopped up fine but it still taste the same. Cool
PinkLipstick

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:12 pm
@jcboy,
Oh, really? I though meat would taste nasty after going through the blender. Does it really taste the same?
PinkLipstick

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:16 pm
@PinkLipstick,
By the way, I've been taking all of everyone's advice! I've eaten otameal, yogurt, soft bread dipped in milk to make it softer, and I even went to go buy a big box of ensure! I'm really glad my choices aren't as limited as I thought! I figured I'd be stuck on applesauce for the next few months!
0 Replies

Roberta

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:18 pm
Any kind of egg is good. Egg salad on white bread is very soft. Just avoid the crust.

Mix cottage cheese and sour cream. Delicious and nourishing. Bananas and sour cream--also delish.
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:26 pm
Ground beef and ground turkey can be used in soups and pasta sauces. Both are delicious and nutritious when mixed with beans. A very simply, hearty soup is made with sauteed onions, carrots and celery. Add the ground turkey or beef, stir until browned. Add a can of tomatoes with the juice, a can of beef or chicken broth, a can of beans (I use white cannelini beans with ground turkey) and bring to a boil. Done! You can add pasta too. I like the small dilletante pasta in soups.
ossobuco

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:30 pm
@JPB,
I'm remembering some recipe for orso (rice-lookalike pasta) and lemon. Delicious. I'll be back assuming a find a recipe.
ossobuco

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/lemon-orzo-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/lemon-pepper-orzo-recipe/index.html

This one, on a quick look, sounds best, re nutrition:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-orzo-primavera/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:03 pm
@PinkLipstick,
there are some wonderful veggie dips that you can make/have that are also good for you!

baba ghanoush
roasted red pepper dip
tzatziki
all of those wonderful variations on hummus
sundried tomato dips
even homemade onion/herb dips are good if you make them with cottage cheese/yogurt/sour cream

I find it's hard to get enough flavour variation without using veggie dips.

you can have the dips with scrambled eggs - they're also yummy with different root vegetable mash-ups (on the side or swirled through)

we've made root veggie mashes of all sorts of combos - usually 3 to 4 root veggies including : carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, chinese radish. Cauliflower also works well in these mashes. Make lots of mash - divide it into servings - put into muffin tins, refrigerate or freeze. When you're ready to have some - throw a little shredded cheese on top and bake (most muffin tins fit into toaster ovens so you don't have to use the big oven)

tuna/salmon salads can be handy - you can also use the root veggie dips as a spread to put under these if you find good soft bread
ossobuco

Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:05 pm
@ehBeth,
good tips, dental stress or not.