What are some nutritious soft foods I can eat?

Region Philbis

Sun 4 Nov, 2012 07:22 am
@ossobuco,

one thing i was warned about after WT removal was no spicy foods, and go easy on anything with citric acid, particularly tomato-based products...
ossobuco

Sun 4 Nov, 2012 05:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
I like spinach myself, but there are substitutes for spinach. Anyway,

from the comfort pastas thread -

http://able2know.org/topic/6246-1
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 4 Nov, 2012 06:49 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Matzo balls (made in good chicken stock) are magic for this sort of thing. Nutritious, filling, and when eaten warm, super-soothing to sore mouths/ throats.

(My daughter had a bunch of ear/nose/throat surgeries at the same time and when she was recovering, matzo balls really got her through.)

Edit: here's a post I made at the time.

sozobe wrote:

Meanwhile, if anyone comes across this via Google in the future, this is what worked well for us:

The big star was/is overcooked, mooshy (NOT al dente) macaroni and cheese, with a little extra milk. This was the first thing she ate in any quantity, and it's still what I give her if she's a little sore.

Overcooked pasta with Alfredo sauce offered a variation on a theme.

She also had a lot of scrambled eggs early on.

Soft (slightly melted) vanilla ice cream was one of the first things she could eat/drink/ingest.

Jello was very, very useful for getting fluids into her when she had a really hard time drinking. When I felt she hadn't had enough fluids I'd set her up with a book or a computer game (something distracting) and then just spoon a bowl's worth into her, using a small spoon.

Strawberry syrup -- the kind sold next to chocolate syrup -- used to make strawberry-flavored milk worked well a bit later in her recovery.

Smoothies did NOT work for her, and I never figured out why. The first was made with a bit of mango and I thought that might be the problem. (Other ingredients -- banana, yogurt, milk.) The next had no mango but still made her throat hurt -- I thought it might be from using the straw, having to work a bit to ingest. The third had no mango and I gave her a spoon, not a straw -- still hurt her throat after a few spoonfuls. She had a banana without much problem, so maybe the yogurt was the issue? Dunno.

Also, any kind of hard popsicles were a bust. Like those fancy chamomile tea ones I made -- didn't work. The only ones she liked were smooth/ creamy and soft.

Chicken soup with matzo balls was tried a bit too early I think but it was one of the first food-food (as opposed to dessert) items she could tolerate.

Pudding! Wonderful stuff. Second only to jello. Chocolate, vanilla, tapioca.

Very ripe avocado was a good way to get some veggies/ healthy stuff into her.

Mashed sweet potatoes were another way.

Tried lots of other things -- some successes, some failures -- but those were the main things that a) were really useful or b) were a surprise failure.

The rest of the thread has some good tips, too:

http://able2know.org/topic/132031-1
roger

Sun 4 Nov, 2012 06:56 pm
@sozobe,
On that smoothie through a straw thing, the straw is probably a bad idea after oral surgery for a day or two. Dentists don't seem to like the wound being subjected to suction. This would be specific to dental issues, of course.
sozobe

Sun 4 Nov, 2012 07:00 pm
@roger,
Right, I saw that she said something about that, this whole list doesn't apply in its entirety, but I got lazy and copy and pasted the whole thing. Smile
0 Replies

amygarside

Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:49 pm
@PinkLipstick,
You can eat oatmeal and porridge. If you want to have vegetables and fruits then you can try making smoothies out of them so you can still eat nutritious food. there is also yogurt, soft boiled egg, cottage cheese. You can also steam fish and it will still be soft to eat.
0 Replies

belmarrahealth

Mon 5 Nov, 2012 02:13 am
@PinkLipstick,
Hi
In my opinion you can eat lot of fruits, and eggs.These are the helpful to you.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:29 am
@roger,
Quote:
On that smoothie through a straw thing, the straw is probably a bad idea after oral surgery for a day or two. Dentists don't seem to like the wound being subjected to suction. This would be specific to dental issues, of course.
not only the suction aspect, but also the sharpness of the straw can do damage to the healing tissue...
0 Replies

ritu bhardwaj

Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:06 pm
@ossobuco,
You can take smoothies,liquids, juices, lemon juice all are great for you. Yogurt. milk,
Region Philbis

Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:49 am
@ritu bhardwaj,
Quote:
lemon juice
no, citric acid can delay the healing process...
0 Replies