Sandy Checkin and Drinking Society

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 05:48 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

The news has been nonstop about the storm. If I didn't see it on the TV, I wouldn't know there is a storm. I'm not complaining.

Good.

The silence stuff is spooky though.

I'm just getting caught up this morning. Lots here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hurricane-Sandy/506493399380778

And here:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 06:32 am
We're fine here, putting stuff back. Will start to make calls in maybe an hour and a half to see how the family fared.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 06:36 am
The power just came on after about ten hours. One woman was killed by a Staples sign which flew off the building and struck her. She died while the EMT squad was trying to stablize her for transport. Between 50,000 and 60,000 people without power--we were fortunate to be in the largest affected area, so they restored power here first. There are another 150,000 people without power in the rest of the province. The rains were not as bad as had been forecast but the high winds continue. Our street is not bad, but there are reports on the radio of thousands of trees damaged or down, even some light poles downed by the winds; garbage cans and lawn furniture blowing around the neighborhoods. The radio just said that there are still 45,000 people in Toronto without power. One of the problems they mentioned on the radio is that many of these people live on streets or in small neighborhoods were the power went out after a tree or a light pole went down--they will be the last people that Hydro gets to to restor the power.

The radio says that Environment Canada has withdrawn the flood warning for Ontario. I don't know what's going on in Québec. I think we are really fortunate that there have been so few fires and only one death.
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 06:44 am
@Setanta,
thanks to some recent upgrades in the power delivery system here, we've been fully powered throughout the storm (a few years ago a stiff breeze would cause constant mini outages)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:06 am
@Setanta,
It looks like there was a live wire just down the block - there is some kind of hydro equipment around the pole down by Dave's house.

The tree in front of the corner house where the three little dogs lived split in half.

Someone's siding was on our porch when I was outside around 1:30 a.m.

Cori and I had quite an energizing drive in. Lots of things to dodge on the road.
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:07 am
@ehBeth,
we've got a line down two houses down, the farm there has a couple of solar panels tied into the grid, the line that feeds into the grid is down, no interruption to our power yet
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:09 am
Empathies to you all - glad you're safe.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:17 am
Keep safe, everyone.
dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:34 am
@DrewDad,
What bad Spock said.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 07:40 am
Well, family called me.

My brother in Maryland is fine, not working again but he works for the Feds so they are closed today, too. I think his son's back at school, though.

My folks on Long Island are, I assume, still sans power, as they have not returned phone calls.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 08:33 am
Hope all is well this Tuesday morning--with a little item from Trenton

Gov. Christie: Obama has been 'outstanding'

Rap
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 08:34 am
Report from Washington Heights, New York City

All is well here. Power is on. A few branches down.

No subways, hardly any traffic.

Just making contact with family and friends is difficult.
Sweetie has no power in Connecticut, she calls me on a schedule because I cannot call her.

joe(the city is in trouble in lower Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 08:44 am
Woke up sad, worried.
Hope Jes' parents and Sturgis and Tsar and Thomas and JoeN and his honey and Frank and Kicky and Nextone and and and ..

all the patients and staff at Bellevue Hospital and and ..
ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 09:30 am
@ossobuco,
I think Sturgis is closer to lower Manhattan than the rest. Nextone may be in a B-zone from what I recall.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 09:52 am
@ehBeth,
The village, I think.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 10:07 am
@ossobuco,
Good morning tout le monde. I woke up this morning with all hands, legs, feet, and arms. Of course, I woke up completely bald but I'm not going to blame the storm on that one. (Just kidding... I only lost both of my pinkie toes... Razz Wink )

Never lost electricity and now will have to power through another workless day. Stir craziness is predicted. But it could have been worse. Glad my neighbors are in good shape as well. Glad Roberta, Joe, et al did fine as well.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
oops, I didn't see Joe's post.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 10:13 am
I talked to a marine buddy of mine this morning, he lives in Brooklyn.
He told me that with the subway and other tunnels flooded, there is another problem developing, the rats are coming out of the tunnels.
Having been to NYC and seeing the size of some of those rats, I hope that the exterminator can do something, but I doubt it.
sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 10:22 am
@mysteryman,
Ewwwwww.

Hadn't made that connection but makes sense.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:08 pm
Eek.

LIPA outage report - http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html

They claim my folks'll be back up in about 2 hrs.