Sandy Checkin and Drinking Society

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:47 pm
whoo glad to be home and on the ground floor

the winds were just howling around our office on the 24th floor

my pal G works on the 48th floor of the building we'll be moving to - he was getting nervous - those 80km+ wind gusts are impressive when you're up high in a building meant to be mmmmmm flexible
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:49 pm
@Roberta,
There you are.
Me, I'd put the x's on if you've got the tape.

Water's good, so you qualify well.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:11 pm
@Roberta,
I don't get shicker any more either, 'Boita, but I've got quantities of coffee here in order to be able to stay up and give moral support to my ole homies back on the Right Coast of the mainland.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Its murder here. Weve never had as high winds as this before. Something in the village exploded and we see smoke now. The village is in a low spot and its flooded before during Iasabella and Once before. So now I cant get outta town .
Still waiting for the power to leave us.
hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:56 pm
@farmerman,
Sheeit FM. Hang tight.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Its murder here. Weve never had as high winds as this before. Something in the village exploded and we see smoke now.

Oooh! Sorry! I left two potatoes cooking in the microwave for too long. My bad. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
yikes!

explosion? yikes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
oy vey..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:06 pm
There's something about a building collapse in New York. Just a headline in Yahoo, NYT has nothing but does have this tweet featured from "FDNY":

Quote:
MAN 2-ALARM 92 8TH AVE, MULTIPLE DWELLING BUILDING COLLAPSE,
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:08 pm
To all of my friends affected by the storm, stay safe.
Keep your heads down, and don't try and go anywhere. I wish I could bring all of you here to my house, but that isn't possible.
Please check in asap after the storm passes.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:25 pm
Hang in there, dudes and dudettes. I've been there, know what it feels like. Sit tight, stay away from windows and pray that the roof doesn't cave in. Above all, DO NOT GO OUTSIDE TO GET A CLOSER LOOK!!!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:46 pm
@jespah,
The trees have been shaking like dashboard hula girls, but no big branches
have come down. Fingers crossed.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:03 pm
@George,
someone in Toronto was killed earlier tonight after being struck by flying signage debris

the hybrid storm isn't even here yet

we're a long way away from the centre of the storm and the power outages have started

the winds are nutso
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:42 pm
Unpleasant winds. Rain. Rattly old windows. Beech in front of the house is doing some major league waving.

My folks (North Shore of Long Island, Suffolk County) lost power ~ 1 1/2 hrs ago. I was able to get them on the land line and they had earlier sent me an email but dunno if they'll be able to glom off on any wifi (I suspect their entire town is dark). Eep.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:49 pm
Posted by a FB friend who decided to ride out the storm on Long Beach.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/431718_10152246580985451_670152151_n.jpg
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:50 pm
@Roberta,
Oh my...thinking of you all.

Boida....X already. Better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:04 pm
NPR reports that there have been at least five storm-caused deaths in NY, none definitely confirmed. Subways are largely flooded, buses are not running.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
State of emergency has been officially declared in 12 states plus Washington, D.C. Sandy is no longer categorized as a hurricane but it's still a monster of a storm, according to the NPR reports I am now listening to.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:14 pm
NPR is handling Sandy as THE top news story of the evening. According to them, one dead in Washington, D.C. and at least 850,000 without power in NY. More than 10,000 without electricity in D.C. and the feeling is that the power won't be back for at least a week.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:40 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, this might be what you were able to hear:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121029/east-village/video-dramatic-explosion-at-east-village-con-ed-plant

VIDEO: Dramatic Explosion at East Village Con Ed Plant

Quote:
MANHATTAN — A massive explosion rocked a Con Edison plant near East 14th Street and the FDR on Monday evening as Hurricane Sandy continued to batter New York City.

Area residents shared photos and video footage of the explosion, which plunged much of the neighborhood into darkness, via social media websites shortly after it happened.

"Huge explosion just rocked the East Village, everything went dark and I mean dark. #Sandy I'm now legit scared," tweeted @YourAnonNews.

"Whole east side of Manhattan just went black after a huge explosion. Empire State Building still lit," tweeted @JoannaSimkin.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/storm-sandy-coned-idUKS7E8LN00120121030

Quote:
Con Edison workers trapped in NY power plant by Sandy -Reuters witness

Oct 30 (Reuters) - Nineteen workers were trapped inside a Consolidated Edison power station on the east side of Manhattan Monday night by rising floodwaters that accompanied the surge from powerful storm Sandy, according to a Reuters witness.

A rescue worker, who declined to be named, said the station had suffered an explosion inside.

Doubt any of those 19 people were survivors. Here's the video mentioned in the first link.