Sandy Checkin and Drinking Society

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Im smiling cause I posted the eploion story over at my thread about Sandy when I came here to post it nd I recalled that i mentioned that the explosion"occured in the village'nearby. I did not mean "THE" Village ,but the little village of Georgetown which i about 3 miles away. It turned out that somebody reported that a dairy transformer
had exploded in the storm .
cute.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:57 pm
@farmerman,
Are you trying to say you don't have super sonic pin-drop-capable Sprint-like hearing and there was no way you'd hear that Con Edison explosion way over there where your barn is? Very Happy
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:59 pm
Interesting that I haven't heard anything on NPR about that East Village explosion.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It hit the Facebook/Twitter grapevine first.

MSNBC is now talking about the power outage, but not the explosion being the cause.

Media may have been told not to hype it up to keep panic and curiosity levels down so idiots don't go running into the streets during the height of this mess.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:04 pm
NPR now reporting that at least 10 people are dead as a result of the storm, from D.C. to NYC. A number of hospitals in NYC are evacuating patients because their generators are overloaded and can't provide the needed power which is no longer available from ConEdison.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
CNN now talking about it as an unverified rumor.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:05 pm
@sozobe,
Looks as though it's the outer walls of two apartments. The apartments thus revealed look almost unsullied.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh no....the poor people inside.

That was several explosions.

Oh dear.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:14 pm
@dlowan,
Well, when transformers blow up, it always looks far worse (because of the massive amounts of electricity involved) then what it appears to be.
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I hope so.
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:32 pm
@dlowan,
And another quake for Canada.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-30/63-quake-off-canada27s-west-coast/4341918
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:35 pm
@dlowan,
Good lord, I hope that doesn't trigger another tsunami alert for Hawaii. Sunday's warning was a comedy of errors.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 10:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Off to bed in a minute or two. So if the world ends before the morning arrives then it was nice knowing you. Wink

A little appropriate bed time music:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:04 am
Hey, I'm on the east side of Manhattan, and my lights are on. They flickered twice.

Otherwise, I'd hardly notice there's a storm. It ain't over yet. I'm prepared. Don't like the thought of the power going out. I feel trapped.

Stunned to see 13 feet of water on the sidewalks of lower Manhattan. Shocked

The water is subsiding now. I'm gonna do some work.
dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:14 am
@Roberta,
Good to hear, Boida. Poor lower Manhattan....got hit by 9/11 the worst and now this.

We stayed on West 11th Street when I first came to NYC.....I loved the area. I hope Martha, in whose apartment we stayed, is ok.
Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:53 am
@dlowan,
Speaking of 9/11, the silence reminds me of that horrible day. No subway. No buses. Very little traffic. But no sound of fighter planes in the sky. Glad for small favors.
dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:11 am
@Roberta,
What's the wind and rain been like where you are?
Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 03:10 am
@dlowan,
The rain seems minimal. Haven't noticed much wind.

I just heard that Bellevue Hospital's basement is flooded and that the hospital is being evacuated. I'm supposed to go there Wednesday. I guess I'll have to reschedule. Phooey. I had a lot to discuss with the doctor. Double phooey. Maybe I'll check the reports on Tuesday before I do anything hasty. Of course even if the hospital is operational, so to speak, doesn't mean that I'll be able to get there.

It's too steenkin' quiet.

The news has been nonstop about the storm. If I didn't see it on the TV, I wouldn't know there is a storm. I'm not complaining.

I gotta get in touch with my cousin who has a place on Long Island and an apartment in Greenwich Village (south).

Izzie

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 04:28 am
@Roberta,
There's a lot coverage over here and it looks simply dreadful for so many folks. I do hope y'all will get power back soon and the clear up can start as soon as poss.

Thoughts for all of youze!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 04:32 am
Just checking in to read the posts about Sandy. I am gratified to know many of you are still posting here.
0 Replies