Sandy Checkin and Drinking Society

djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:59 pm
steady wind here gusting to 55 km/h (about 35 mph), will increase to 100 km/h tonight

constant mist, not really rain

got a big pot of soup on the stove (gas) if the power goes out
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:13 pm
Bread . . . check
Baloney . . . check
Canned goods . . . check
Peanut butter . . . check
Small dogs . . . check

We're good to go, so far . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

@dlowan,
It's a little early in the afternoon but it's an odd day for people dealing with the storm and some of us following. I benefitted recently with Diane passing on some of her and Dys' stored wine. I'm having a glass of the oldest one, which may or may not be on its way to going poorly, some fines at the bottom, but it tastes good to me. Leagues above the plonk I drink for sustenance:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/pinord-2001-chateldon-gran-reserva-cabernet-sauvignon-penedes
It's got a pretty classy label, always a draw to such as I, and I'm sure the purchase was a result of Dys chatting with the wine guy at Jubilation Wine and Spirits - across the street from the Model Drug store we all use to eat at once in a while.

A sentimental and worried day. There's a combo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Environment Canada warning of high winds and rain, not to mention rain, which will come right after it stops rainng.

Oh, and high winds . . .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:16 pm
400 flights have been canceled at O'Hare Airport today (East coast destinations).

Strangely, Sandy is starting to affect weather in Chicago. Winds will be 40-60 miles per hour late today and early tomorrow. Chicagoans who live by the lake are being warned about 18-23 foot waves.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Wifi is only effected if the electricity goes down.

Or the provider. We haven't lost power in 6 years at the apartment, but we always lose cable.

So far so good in central Ohio. Wind gusts of 60mph tonight. Sad Stay safe erverbody!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:40 pm
This is rjb-land.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/598921_10152250951700122_745681233_n.jpg

Hurricane Sandy will produce very heavy snow, up to 2-3 feet deep, in portions of NC/VA/WV/MD/PA.
sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:43 pm
@JPB,
WOWWWWW!

I want that kind of snow!

As long as everyone's safe -- and I know that snow that Ohio can handle isn't necessarily snow that VA can handle.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:44 pm
Gulping down quantities of black coffee (it's still mid-morning here) and staying in touch with y'all. Be safe.
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
How long is sandy supposed to be hanging around for?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:53 pm
Just checking in on you guys.

Smiling because Osso said 'plonk'. Which I thought was an oz expression, my dad used it.

Checked it on the OED

We did invent it. In the 30s. Mispronouncing 'blanc'

Quote:

plonk, n.2
Pronunciation: Brit. /plɒŋk/ , U.S. /plɑŋk/
Etymology: Probably representing a colloquial or humorous pronunciation of blanc (in vin blanc n.: compare discussion at that entry), probably after plonk n.1
Compare slightly earlier plinketty plonk (compare plinkety n.):
1930 H. Williamson Patriot's Progress iv. 137 Nosey and Nobby shared a bottle of plinketty plonk, as vin blanc was called.

Cheap wine of inferior quality. Also, more generally: wine or alcohol of any kind.

1933 Bulletin (Sydney) 11 Jan. 12 The man who drinks illicit brews or ‘plonk’..by the quart does it in quiet spots or at home.
1938 H. Drake-Brockman Men without Wives (1951) 77 What cow'd be such a dope as t' waste a perishin' thirst like we got, on plonk? It's beer we want.
1967 Daily Tel. 15 Nov. 21/8 Surely the word ‘plonk’ is onomatopoeic, being the noise made when a cork is withdrawn from the bottle?
1976 Scotsman 24 Dec. (Weekend Suppl.) 3/6 The author is particularly scathing about Sainsbury's Spanish plonk.
1992 Sun 16 Sept. 17/4 Pit leader Arthur Scargill's home town is to market its own plonk—with a picture of a miner on the label.
(Hide quotations)
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:56 pm
@JPB,
In 1973, southside Virginia got 6" of snow overnight. Paralyzed 'em . . .
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:12 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, I remember reading about that at the time and laughing. At the time, if Boston got all of six inches of snow, there'd be a great debate of whether it's worth spending the money to bring out the snowplows or just let God take care of the melting thereof.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:17 pm
@hingehead,
Spanish plonk, I know it well from Trader Joe's.

Scary stuff going on.
What was that construction company/site owner thinking, leaving that crane there? (One57 building midtown Manhattan)

Wish Thomas would check in with his thoughts.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:18 pm
@jespah,
Romney's Storm Tips

Quote:
Everyone in the path of hurrican Sandy should head to their second or third homes for safety.

Rap
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:23 pm
@sozobe,
Whaddya know -- the girls are playing outside (one without a coat, argh) (not mine), and one just came in to tell me it was snowing!!! (It was brief and didn't stick.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The main drag through Newport News and Hampton Roads is J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, U.S. Route 17. In January, 1973, there were two snowplows on the penninsula, one in Newport News, and one in Hampton Roads. One was going northwest and one was going southeast in the dark before the dawn that morning, and they hook plows and wrecked.

THe local boys would be creaeping along at about 15 mph when some joker from Detroit or Chicago would blow by them at 60--they'd freak out and spin out into the ditch.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:30 pm
I'm at the computer about 20 feet away from the back door where girls were going in and out (now they're in) and I am FREEZING! To think that it was lovely and sunny and mid-70's a mere four days ago...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:31 pm
Lady Liberty appears on the radar:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/404711_380090188731754_845552383_n.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
Checking in. But not sure I'm supposed to be here. I don't drink--alcohol.

I have water. I have food. I have a flashlight with batteries. Trying to decide whether to put those big taped Xes on my windows.

It's quiet in the Big Apple. Hoping this Sandy storm doesn't turn us into Apple Sauce.