Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 01:49 pm
@RABEL222,
Whackeye is a . . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Common_Loon.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:07 pm
@Setanta,
On behalf of all the loons in all the lakes of North America, I protest this spurious comparison w/Whackeye.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:39 pm
@engineer,
Kind of like Max's disappointment in McCain?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I know of no reason for Powell to be considered a timid soldier. He served at least two tours in Vietnam that i recall, and possibly a third. He served in the field and was wounded when he stepped on a primitive VC booby trap. Powell's military doctrine was to bring overwhelming force--which puts him in the same club as Patton, Hodges, Bradley and Eisenhower. I'd say this is yet another case of Whackeye talking out of his ass.

I agree with Set on this. I see no reason for casting stones at a man for backing whom he wants to in this horse race. I think no less of him now then I did when he was serving in the Bush Admin.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:41 pm
@engineer,
There was barely room for Republicans who voted for Obama in 2008. There is no room for Republicans who vote for Obama in 2012.

Ask a Democrat about Joe Lieberman.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:42 pm
@InfraBlue,
Kudos for consistency InfraBlue. If only more on the Left shared your commendable trait.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
You don't understand IB, you are attempting to deprive Democrats of a powerful totem: A black "Republican" who served with great honor in the military and who votes like them. They are not about to take that lying down.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:53 pm
@McGentrix,
I essentially agree.

The fact that Powell is again endorsing Obama doesn't diminish in the slightest all that he has done for his country.

I am a little disappointed that this time around he didn't declare himself a Democrat or even an Independent before endorsing Obama for a second time.

He certainly has a right to endorse whomever he believes will make the best president and there's no law that says you can't call yourself a Republican when it's clear from your endorsement that you are not, but some of the value of his endorsement is that he is known as a Republican. He knows this, and there is a certain, however minor, degree of deception involved with him endorsing Obama as a Republican.

In the end, it's much ado about nothing as his endorsement this time around will have virtually no impact on the race.

It's amazing how irrelevant a once influential man can become in only four years.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 05:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Lieberman is closer to the Democrat Arlen Specter, and I understand perfectly well my man Republicans despise Specter the way I despise Lieberman.

Joe Lieberman is no Colin Powell.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 09:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It's amazing how irrelevant a once influential man can become in only four years.

That's true. For instance, George W. Bush was president of the United States four years ago, and now his own political party doesn't even acknowledge his existence.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 02:00 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm sorry. That was thoughtless and churlish of me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:08 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Joe Lieberman is no Colin Powell.

You're right, he's far more relevant.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:13 am
@joefromchicago,
Yes, W has become largely irrelevant in the world of politics.

In part this is by his design, as unlike other former presidents he seems to be content in retirement and unwilling to intrude his opinions on the governance of another person who has shared the weight of office.

If only a couple of his predecesors had as much good grace.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 05:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You're right, he's far more relevant.

Colin Powell is awfully relevant to John Sununu.

In fact Colin Powell's endorsement has caused quite a bit of stir in the right (who have spent quite a bit of time talking about it this week).

When is the last time (other than here) that anyone has cared about what Joe Lieberman thinks about anything.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 05:25 pm
John Sununu was interviewed yesterday and according to him, Powell is endorsing Obama because they are both black. So McCain has a tiny bit more to sink before he reaches Sununu. I know that Colin Powell served under George Bush, but does anyone know for sure if he is a registered Republican? Since he is not holding any elected office, or currently working for a Republican candidate, I'm pretty sure he can endorse anyone he wants without being labeled disloyal. And besides, yesterday Meatloaf endorsed Romney, that has to cancel out a decorated military hero, right.
engineer

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:44 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

John Sununu was interviewed yesterday and according to him, Powell is endorsing Obama because they are both black.

I suppose the corollary (and something the reporter should have directly asked Sununu) is that Sununu is supporting Romney because he is white.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's really amazing how ignorant y'all can be. War criminals, mass murderers living large on your tax dollars.

Quote:

Published on Tuesday, June 5, 2012 by Common Dreams

Colin Powell: Another War Criminal Cashes In
by Medea Benjamin and Charles Davis

One could be forgiven for thinking there's anything honorable or honest about Colin Powell. For more than two decades now the Washington media has portrayed the former Secretary of State as something of a real life action hero, a reluctant warrior whose greatest fault – should they deign to mention any – was just being too darn loyal to a guy named George and his buddy Dick. What you might have missed is that Powell is a war criminal in his own right, one who in more than four decades of “public service” helped kill people from Vietnam to Panama to Iraq who never posed a threat to America. But don't just take some anti-war activists' word for it: Powell will proudly tell you as much, so long as he can make a buck from doing it in a book.

https://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/06/05-7

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:05 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I know of no reason for Powell to be considered a timid soldier. He served at least two tours in Vietnam that i recall, and possibly a third.

Making excuses for a Vietnam war criminal. Makes one wonder what you might be hiding, Set.

Quote:
Behind Colin Powell's Legend -- My Lai

By Robert Parry & Norman Solomon

On March 16, 1968, a bloodied unit of the Americal division stormed into a hamlet known as My Lai 4. With military helicopters circling overhead, revenge-seeking American soldiers rousted Vietnamese civilians -- mostly old men, women and children -- from their thatched huts and herded them into the village's irrigation ditches.

As the round-up continued, some Americans raped the girls. Then, under orders from junior officers on the ground, soldiers began emptying their M-16s into the terrified peasants. Some parents desperately used their bodies to try to shield their children from the bullets. Soldiers stepped among the corpses to finish off the wounded.

The slaughter raged for four hours. A total of 347 Vietnamese, including babies, died in the carnage that would stain the reputation of the U.S. Army. But there also were American heroes that day in My Lai. Some soldiers refused to obey the direct orders to kill.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/archive/colin3.html
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 08:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
In part this is by his design, as unlike other former presidents he seems to be content in retirement and unwilling to intrude his opinions on the governance of another person who has shared the weight of office.

Well, why should his retirement be any different from his time in office?
RABEL222

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:28 pm
@joefromchicago,
Well played!!!
0 Replies