Waco Parents Stand Up For Bigotry!

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:11 pm
Gee...I'm so glad we have responsible moral folks here in the US who are willing to take a stand against the prevention of unwanted pregnancies and educating young women about their reproductive choices. Come on, America, lets make sex the dirty little shame filled secret it used to be!

The Girls Scouts: Lesbian Sluts or Preteen Hos?
Quote:

Girl Scouts at odds with Planned Parenthood
Staff and Wire Reports
Posted on March 4, 2004

CRAWFORD, Texas - Some families are boycotting Thin Mints and Do-Si-Dos and other Girl Scout cookies. Troop 7527 is down to just two members after the other girls were withdrawn by their parents. And Brownie Troop 7087 is no more.

The furor was started a few weeks ago by the leader of the anti-abortion group Pro-Life Waco, who sent out e-mails and ran ads on a Christian radio station urging people to boycott Girl Scout cookies because of the "cozy relationship" between the Girl Scouts and Planned Parenthood.

Parents were upset to learn that the local Girl Scout organization had given a "woman of distinction award" last year to a Planned Parenthood executive. And they were disturbed to find out that the Girl Scout organization has been giving its endorsement for years to a Planned Parenthood sex-ed program.

"It's not that we're a bunch of activists. We're just a bunch of moms who care about their kids," said Lisa Aguilar, who took her 10-year-old daughter out of her eight-member Girl Scout troop. "For us, it's the morality. Where is Girl Scouts going?"

The Crawford troops decided not to deliver the cookie orders that they had already taken.

But cookie sales have skyrocketed this year as many people bought cases just to show their support for the Girl Scouts, said Becky Parker, the cookie distributor for Waco-area troops.

Locally, cookie sales have not been affected by the uproar in Texas. Asunta Davis, marketing director for the Girl Scouts Pelican Council in Shreveport said she was not even aware of the dispute.

"We have not heard anything like that here," she said adding that the Pelican Council, which represents about 2,000 Girl Scouts in 10 parishes, don't have any sort of partnership with Planned Parenthood.

In fact, Davis said, cookie sales are up quite a bit. "I think we're up like 8 percent from last year," she said.

This bit bears analysis:
Quote:
"It's not that we're a bunch of activists. We're just a bunch of moms who care about their kids," said Lisa Aguilar, who took her 10-year-old daughter out of her eight-member Girl Scout troop. "For us, it's the morality. Where is Girl Scouts going?"

Can someone please explain to me how attemptinmg to insure her daughter's ignorance is "morality?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,668 • Replies: 50
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:16 pm
While I may not agree with them, they are the parents and are entitled to bring their children up as they may.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:27 pm
One of the observations that has been made about modernization and a dynamic popular culture is that children often know more than their parents. At least in the areas of rules of behavior and changing social values, and the purpose and use of consumer technology to offer three examples. The parents are not only at a loss to critique their children's behavior, they have lost control and are in the position of experiencing a reversal of status roles. These mothers are not protecting their daughters ignorance, they are protecting their own.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:30 pm
Quote:
These mothers are not protecting their daughters ignorance, they are protecting their own.

I could not agree more!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:31 pm
While I don't agree with anything that hurts Scouting, the parents that did this are free to choose what they wish to teach their kids and with whom they will let their kids associate with.

As to the boycott of the cookies, its called voting with your dollars. It is one of the oldest forms of non-violent protest and one that can be brutally effective if enough people get behind it.

hobit,
Are you saying now that you want to restrict these parents right to free speech and their freedom to assemble with people of their choosing ??
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
No, I'm saying that they have no right to condemn their daughters to the same ignorance they embrace.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:44 pm
It's their own free choice, but still, I would say to them: welcome to the 21th century. Face reality. Abortion is a right, and it's better to let the girls form their own opinion about this than keeping them away from it.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:50 pm
hobitbob wrote:
No, I'm saying that they have no right to condemn their daughters to the same ignorance they embrace.

What you claim as 'ignorance', some of these families teach as 'morals'.

While most of us of a religious bent despise abortion, we do teach our youngsters that is exists (Not keeping them in 'ignorance'), but we teach them that is is wrong and immoral.

The right and responsibility to teach your values and morals to your children is one of the most important responsibilities of a parent. Just because you don't agree with the lesson, does not make it in any way 'ignorant', it just makes you intolerant of other peoples beliefs.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:58 pm
I admit to my intolerance for ignorance and bigotry. Very Happy
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:07 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I admit to my intolerance for ignorance and bigotry. Very Happy

In what way is choosing who you wish your children to associate with 'ignorance'?

And I do not understand the 'bigot comment. In what way could these parents actions be considered 'bigotry'?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
It's their own free choice, but still, I would say to them: welcome to the 21th century. Face reality. Abortion is a right, and it's better to let the girls form their own opinion about this than keeping them away from it.

Perhaps someone should tell the Amish about this. Apparently Hobitbob would have them going against everything THEY stand for as well.

One of the things about a free society is that some people will not want others to be free to do as they wish. This attitude surprises me when coming in from the left...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:21 pm
I approve of their embrace of non-violence. That aspect must just make you conservatives despise them. Very Happy
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:29 pm
McGentrix, at some point in late adolescence Amish children are offered a choice. They can either join "the world" and leave, or join the Amish community. A majority join the community in part because Amish socialization and education have arranged it so that they cannot function easily in" the world". Those that do leave however, after a period of adjustment, often do quite well.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:41 pm
But by your initial statement, you feel that Amish mothers are only extending there own ignorance in trying to keep their culture their own.

Quote:
One of the observations that has been made about modernization and a dynamic popular culture is that children often know more than their parents. At least in the areas of rules of behavior and changing social values, and the purpose and use of consumer technology to offer three examples. The parents are not only at a loss to critique their children's behavior, they have lost control and are in the position of experiencing a reversal of status roles. These mothers are not protecting their daughters ignorance, they are protecting their own.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:02 pm
Absolutely. You might read "Children in Amish Society " Hostetler and Huntington , Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology, Spindler and Spindler: Series Editor, Harcourt Brace. If you educate/socialize children so they can only function in your world they are unlikely to leave it. The mothers of Waco are attempting the same, with potentially the same isolating results.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:06 pm
I was under the impression that Amish children (or perhaps just boys) left for a trial period in late adolescence and then were able to choose whether or not to return. Any mention on whether they are welcome back decades later, or is their decision, whenever they make it, final?
0 Replies

Brian

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:21 pm
I have a feeling this goes far beyond planned parenthood. The fact is, The Girl Scouts have become a left wing liberal organization over the years and some people are fed up with it.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:28 pm
hobit, you still haven't answered my question regarding the supposed 'bigotry' that you claim these parents have.

To give you an example that should even be simple enough for you Liberals to grasp. (Although I believe that most Liberals wouldn't have sense enough to know how to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel)

Lets pretend your your children and mine are playing together on a regular basis. Time goes by and I discover that your children have begun throwing rocks at passing cars. I go to you and say, I think thats wrong and don't want my children learning your childrens bad habits so I am not letting my children play with yours anymore.

Is it bigoted of me to separate my children and yours?

No, because I have explained to my children that although rock throwing exists and some children DO throw rocks at passing cars, the practice is wrong and I do not what them associating with those 'rock throwers'.

Now MY children are aware of rock throwing and understand that some people do and some people don't, thus eliminating THEIR ignorance.

Now YOUR children are never exposed to the concept that some people believe that rock throwing is wrong and thus remain ignorant of other views.

And thus we see that although most Liberals claim to be 'open minded' they are among the most 'close minded' peoples of the earth.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:35 pm
Piss runs out of a birkenstock of its own accord. That said, broad brushes are good for painting walls one color, and that's about it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:52 pm
That you equate rock throwing with prevention of unwanted pregnancies says quite a bit. Been found in adultery lately? Wink
You may not understand this, but as a self-admitted "liberal" I dislike violence. I also dislike ignorance, especially ignorance imposed upon others. I have little doubt these same parents would have little difficulty forcing their sweet Petunias to get rid of any "embarassments" to the family should such a situation arise. These same parents, however, would rather little Petunia "embarrass" the family rather than learn how to have safe sex, or learn that sexuality is a natural part of life. That is the sort of enforced ignorance I find so repulsive.
0 Replies