Waco Parents Stand Up For Bigotry!

SCoates

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 07:49 pm
Me four.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:08 pm
I also agree with Aquakink*, but not with Hobitbob - people should have every right to express their stupidity.

Although, they are pro-patients rights and that does include abortion rights. They spend money on lawyers to help people defend these rights. They aren't out marching, but I think that pro-patients rights is the same as being pro-abortion. I don't think anybody's out there wanting people to get abortions, they only want them to have the right to an abortion.

*there is a simpson's character who is supposed to have a fish fetish. This is what your screen name reminds me of. :wink:
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:12 pm
Expressing stupidity is the best way for it to be confronted and destroyed.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:30 pm
Portal Star. Acquiunk is an algonquian word, (Native American) It is a place name that means " at the fishing place under the hill" and was a place close by where I was born and grew up.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:22 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Portal Star. Acquiunk is an algonquian word, (Native American) It is a place name that means " at the fishing place under the hill" and was a place close by where I was born and grew up.

That's beautiful - how do you pronounce it?

I am 1/16 - 1/32 Cherokee. Wasn't raised with any of the culture, but my family retains the high sunken cheekbones and straight oily hair. We also have trouble growing beards.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 12:21 am
Acquiunk

Quote:
My ex-wife was a Girl Scout leader and never in all the time that she was involved did she promote, or even discuss abortion with the girls of her troop. Planed Parenthood is not a pro abortion lobby group. It is a long established organization that promotes womens reproductive health and other womens health issues. I seriously doubt that the award given by the Girl Scouts to the head of Planed Parenthood had anything to do with abortion. This is a made up controversy driven by a group of ignorant Texas ninnes whose lack of knowledge and understanding about the world outside their own narrow community makes them susceptible to any off the wall rumor that runes counter to their own insular world view.

OK, I really didn't know one way or another. My girls never went to girls scouts and neither did I. However the way you explain it makes a lot of sense.

Has anyone heard about the Catholic Church being forced to offer conceptives? (?spell) I realize that is on the other end but it does seem as if the Catholic Church is getting their religious rights violated.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 01:00 am
I've found it interesting that the Boy Scouts get their knickers in a knot over the least hint of homosexuality, while Girl Scouts haven't ever (to my knowledge) made an issue of it.

Those parents, no matter how ignorant, have the right to take their daughters out of Girl Scouts. I only hope that the Girl Scouts won't crumple under the pressure and disassociate themselves from Planned Parenthood. It is a fine, high quality organization, saving lives through education, making it possible for girls and women to have realistic options for their sexual lives.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:57 am
I also agree with Diane (the nun).
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:43 am
Portal star. It is pronounced Ach' kwe ungk.

Algonquian is a very melodious language once you learn how to use the gutturals. I do not claim to speak it but many of the place names in the part of the country I live in are the original algonquian names so in a way the language is still alive.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:08 am
Quote:
This is a made up controversy driven by a group of ignorant Texas ninnies.

I wish they were only ninnies and not minions of the larger agenda of over-moralizing hypocrites otherwise known as the conservative right.

I was among other things in Scouting, a trained outdoor leader and the Brownie leader consultant (which meant it was my phone number that local Brownie leaders would call when they needed help) . Never once did we discuss abortion, Planned Parenthood OR make doilies. Brownies are a little silly, but if you're can't be a silly Brownie, then why bother? A giggling gaggle of seven and eight-year-olds is funny. Scouting is all about letting the girls choose what they wanted to do. (It's a geeky thing but my biggest regret in GSouting was that I never learned how to make those twine wrapped sleeping platforms.)

It is an honor for local women to be recognized by the Girl Scouts as women of distinction. It shows the younger scouts and the community that scouting made a difference. Generally women chosen are "only" Brownies though some may have continued through the ranks. The Blue Bonnets also supported two Planned Parenthood events:
"Talking About Sex in the Sanctuary" for local clergy and "Nobody's Fool" covering sexual education for minors. How AWFUL, huh?

While I cannot disagree with the rights of these parents to pull their kids out of Girl Scouts (and I'll bet they were the ones who didn't pick their kids up on time, either), this organized boycott of a women's group has an underlying agenda which I find despicable. These boycotters are people who do not support the rights of individuals -- male or female -- to know & understand their sexuality and to control their own fertility. I sincerely believe that if they are able to overcome that right, they will move on to steal other freedoms. It starts with men who enjoy controlling & directing women and the stupid women who let it happen. It is of little surprise to me that they'd attack a strong iconic group for their role in educating and liberating females.

I hope others will send support to this council since those lost cookie sales are the only way that individual troops can earn money other than through dues. Girls who sell a lot of cookies get credit to go to summer camps at super-low rates, and for many, that is a major goal... for good reason...

The Proud Dragon Boats of St Albans
http://www.gsppc.org/images/StAlbans5.jpg
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
Quote:
One of the things about a free society is that some people will not want others to be free to do as they wish. This attitude surprises me when coming in from the left...

Well actually the Left isn't as progressive as you think :wink: But seriously: I agree with you yes. They have the right to raise their children as they want (under the condition that it does not hurt others in an extreme way). What I said was more a recommendation, and not an order. I still think that people have to be realistic about it. You can tell your children everything about abortion, but you can bring it in such a way that abortion seems very negative. Again, that is their right. But in MY (yes MY) opinion, I think that this is a picture from an old world, and that we have come as far that women should have the choice to, if they have no other option, abort their 'baby' (also a problem: from what age does a bunch of cells become a human being? but that's another discussion..). It was not my intention to bring my post in a way that it seemed as if I think that parents should not have the freedom to raise their children in a certain way.
0 Replies