Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

willow tl

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:50 pm
heywood that pt wasa made on page one and promptly ignored :-)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:51 pm
Wasn't the latest deep thought from the left that Osama had already been captured and that Bush was waiting for the most opportune time to drag him out?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:57 pm
McGentrix
You are at it again. That story came out of the Arab press. But if it pleases you to distort the facts to satisfy a need, go right ahead don't let reality get in the way.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
See the smug look on Bush's face. It almost say's "Boy this is great it's a trifecta.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
stop AU i hurt from laughing too much...:-)
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:06 pm
It seems to me that he's showing the images of the disaster to invoke the feeling of togetherness that America felt immediately after 9/11. And trying to attach his name to that feeling.

I think the feeling of togetherness (resolve, patriotism, compassion) was a feeling generated by the public, not the Administration, and it's wrong for him to take credit for it.

But surely the people who are offended by Bush's ads weren't going to vote for him anyway - instead they will make noise about the ads. Noise about the ads will further polarize the public, and as we've all seen here on A2K, the more polarized the points of view, the less discussion occurs. And when people stop talking/discussing/thinking that's when George Bush wins.

Thoughts?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:10 pm
Jer wrote:
It seems to me that he's showing the images of the disaster to invoke the feeling of togetherness that America felt immediately after 9/11. And trying to attach his name to that feeling.

I think the feeling of togetherness (resolve, patriotism, compassion) was a feeling generated by the public, not the Administration, and it's wrong for him to take credit for it.

But surely the people who are offended by Bush's ads weren't going to vote for him anyway - instead they will make noise about the ads. Noise about the ads will further polarize the public, and as we've all seen here on A2K, the more polarized the points of view, the less discussion occurs. And when people stop talking/discussing/thinking that's when George Bush wins.

Thoughts?

I think they are showing this and the ads they have chosen because 9/11 defined what has been the Bush presidency for the most part.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:13 pm
McGentrix

Quote:
Keep in mind AU that New York is also the state that voted in the Hildabeast as a senator

It is also the state that would have helped her capture the presidency if she wanted it. Some people know a good thing when they see it and others live deep in the Heart of the Adirondacks. Embarrassed
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:19 pm
911 Attacks Cover UP
"What did the Pres. know and when did he know it?"
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:22 pm
willow_tl wrote:
heywood that pt wasa made on page one and promptly ignored :-)

The funny thing, is that its STILL being ignored! lol!

I'd love for a reporter to say to Bush:

"Mr. President...repeat after me. "OSAMA-BIN-LADEN". Its not too tough, and you had no problem with that before, yet you seem to have a real difficulty with that now..."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 05:02 pm
Jer
But surely the people who are offended by Bush's ads weren't going to vote for him anyway

I have little doubt that is exactly his attitude he can ignore and offend the people who do not vote for him. Someone should enlighten him that he is president of the US not just his constituency. Remember his claim he is a uniter not a divider. However, with his "you are with me or against me" attitude could he be expected to act otherwise.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 05:08 pm
Lame Ads bering pulled off.
Snip from the yahoo article:

Quote:
"In Bal Harbour, Fla., the International Association of Fire Fighters Union approved a resolution asking the Bush campaign to pull the ads, spokesman Jeff Zack said. The resolution also urges Bush to "apologize to the families of firefighters killed on 9/11 for demeaning the memory of their loved ones in an attempt to curry support for his re-election." The union gave Kerry an early endorsement in the presidential race.

*This ad shows how desperate the Repugs are. They have nothing to run on because they are miserable failures.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:19 pm
I watched crossfire today and the republicans already have a comeback or whatever for those survivers of 9/11 who have protested the ads. They say it is a union backed effort and not legitimate. They even say that when some fire fighters who are our real heroes (not just someone playing dress up)protested the use of the image of two fire fighters carrying a dead body out of a building.

I have only one word for the ads, crass.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
Raking over these victims' remains like that just makes me sick.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:00 pm
The local news had an informal poll about the ads tonight, and it was an even 50/50 split over whether the ads are appropriate or not. I guess if you go by that, it's a non-issue, right?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 07:00 am
I think my side would do well to let the issue die out. If we keep on then we will be seen as small minded attackers. We have made the points we needed to about them so now it we let it go when people watch them they will remember it but if we keep on with it the issue will come to be just democrats being attackers instead of Bush using the dead for votes.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:33 am
Anyone else remember Burke and Hare? I wonder if either or both could have been amongst Bush's ancestors? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Verbal lee

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 12:16 pm
revel:
Quote:
I think my side would do well to let the issue die out. If we keep on then we will be seen as small minded attackers. We have made the points we needed to about them so now it we let it go when people watch them they will remember it but if we keep on with it the issue will come to be just democrats being attackers instead of Bush using the dead for votes.

(True, revel)

Why does Bush think he should be reelected because a group of fire fighters, doctors, ministers, work crews and other compassionate Americans cleaned up the 9/11 site and aided victims families all they could? They did it, WE, the people, not the president.

And all those who put in overtime, checking out airplane passengers-
All those policemen and satellite/radar watchers... ALL the hard workers that strive to keep our country safe... THEY do it, not the white collar "Washington D.C. sitters."

I assert ANY sitting President would do all he can to satisfy the needs of safety of the USA- and listen to the hundreds of voices that offer both advice and solutions to the executive branch.
No candidate should take credit for the spirit of the citizens!!!!!
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:53 pm
We are supposed to let our dead rest in peace, are we not?
Politicizing death is nothing more than a tactic to keep fear alive.
How can exploitation ever be tasteful?

So where is the big ad blitz? It stopped dead in its tracks is where it is. The cartoon in the link here expresses why perfectly:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/

To ad insult to injury, the ad is a pronouncement exploiting images without a single fact to support them. What kind of person stands before an image of death and praises himself without any evidence whatsoever?

Hitler was such a type. So was Caiaphas.

Bush attacked himself on this one, and he thought we would just defer to his superiority in this manner. We didn't, and I guarantee you he is scrambling to rework his ad campaign to remove most if not all of the graphic images he hoped to exploit to spread fear.

He certainly can't spread the facts, and this was a huge mistake for the Bush campaign.

Oft evil will shalt evil marr.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:42 pm
Bush is defending the ad and vows to continue to use 9/11 as his theme song. I find that distasteful but understandable on his part. Why? Because prior to 9/11 his presidency was headed for disaster. 9/11 saved his backside.
The word terror has become the most important and most used word in his vocabulary. Asked a question and invariably his answer will contain the word "terrorism." It's his CYA answer to everything.
0 Replies