Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:21 am
Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

By MAGGIE HABERMAN in New York
amd THOMAS M. DeFRANK in Washington
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

'After 3,000 people were murdered on his watch, it seems to me that that takes an awful lot of audacity. Honestly, it's in poor taste.' - Kristen Breitweiser, with her husband's ring.

The Bush reelection campaign yesterday unveiled its first three campaign commercials showcasing Ground Zero images, angering some 9/11 families who accused President Bush of exploiting the tragedy for political advantage.
"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people," said Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the twin tower attacks. "It is unconscionable."

Gabrielle and several other family members said the injury was compounded by Bush's refusal to testify in open session before the 9/11 commission.

"I would be less offended if he showed a picture of himself in front of the Statue of Liberty," said Tom Roger, whose daughter was a flight attendant on doomed American Airlines Flight 11. "But to show the horror of 9/11 in the background, that's just some advertising agency's attempt to grab people by the throat."

Mindy Kleinberg said she was offended because the White House has not cooperated fully with the commission and because of the sight of remains being lifted out of Ground Zero in one of the spots.

"How heinous is that?" Kleinberg asked. "That's somebody's [loved one]."

Firefighter Tommy Fee in Rescue Squad 270 in Queens was appalled.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place. The image of firefighters at Ground Zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics," Fee said.

But Jennie Farrell, who lost her brother, electrician James Cartier, called the ad "tastefully done," adding: "It speaks to the truth of the times. Sept. 11 ... was something beyond the realm of imagination, and George Bush ... led us through one of the darkest moments in history."

The gauzy, upbeat spots, aimed at shoring up Bush's sagging approval numbers, begin airing today on national cable networks and 50 media markets in 17 states that Bush-Cheney strategists consider electoral battlegrounds.

Two ads, including a Spanish version, show fleeting images of the World Trade Center devastation. The 30-second spots include a poignant image of an American flag fluttering defiantly amid the WTC wreckage.

One, titled "Safer, Stronger," also features a one-second shot of firefighters removing the flag-draped remains of a victim from the twisted debris.

Both ads reinforce the Ground Zero imagery with frontal shots of two firefighters. Unlike the paid actors and actresses in most of the footage, they are not ringers, but their red headgear gives them away as non-New Yorkers. The Bush campaign declined to reveal where the burly smoke-eaters actually work.

Bush officials defended the imagery as totally appropriate.

"9/11 was the defining moment of these times," campaign manager Ken Mehlman told reporters. "Because of that day, America is at war and still is."

Charging Democratic rival John Kerry with politicizing the attacks by alleging Bush has turned his back on the city, Mehlman added: "The President's never forgotten. It's a central part of his leadership."

The spots, pegged to the theme of "steady leadership in time of change," do not mention Kerry. Instead, their uplifting message hopes to refurbish Bush's battered image after two months of harsh Democratic attacks and a series of missteps by the normally surefooted White House political apparatus.

"We've been off our game for weeks," a senior Bush strategist conceded. "Thank goodness, there's plenty of time to get well, and plenty of grist to chop Kerry down to size."

With Kenneth R. Bazinet and Michele McPhee

Originally published on March 4, 2004

Do you think that Bush has stepped over the line? He talks of respect and morality and yes if you can believe it honesty but it would seem he is talking about someone else since it does not seem to fit his profile..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,612 • Replies: 68
No top replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:26 am
I think this magnifies just how out of touch he is with "everday people". The hole he is digging is getting deeper. (Symbolic?-- WTC) I think the ad as described could work against him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:27 am
So he should ignore the events of 9-11?
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:31 am
maybe for you Mcgentrix..it should show him wallowing in the dirt of ground zero..the administration ignored the warning signs...and now they want to take credit?..for what...bin laden is still free...give me a break...llooll...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:34 am
No, but using images of real people and bodies is crosses the line of good taste and sensitivity. It's exploiting people that may or may not want to be exploited in that way. Sure, I guess it's legal, but yanking at peoples emotions in such an obvious way is tacky exploitation. There's got to be a better way to get his point across.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:38 am
I expect his next trip will be to Iraq for a photo op dressed in combat gear and carrying a rifle. Hopefully he won't treat us to a photo showing that potato stuffed in his groin.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:39 am
This is going to be his first big campaign gaff....

He has made our country a good bit safer, he should communicate that and the future IMO.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:40 am
You seem to forget that the everyday people are still very upset about 9-11 and that is what's going to get Bush re-elected. Kerry flip-flopping attitude shows he is weak on terror and that alone will be enough to keep him from the white house. Like him or hate him, George Bush has taken the terror to the terrorists and kept it away from America.

Reminding people of the horrors of 9-11 and reminding them WHY we are in the middle east are important things for the Bush campaign. duh.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
McGentrix:

Of course he's also fooled the US into a war.

Shattered the economy.

Isolated us from the world.

Kerry needs to HAMMER these points HARD.

And the "Dean Team" needs to start putting heat on as well.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
We are in the middle east looking for WMD that aren't there..llooll....and the terror threat is still out there...bin laden is still free..bigger DUH!...get a grip...he needs to focus on domestic issues...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:44 am
McGentrix
Your sensitivity is astounding. It mirrors that of you idol and champion. The rat faced boy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:49 am
I've never claimed to be sensitive.
0 Replies

Nona

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:39 am
AU:

You know what they say about Bush appealing to eighth graders!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
When you get to eighth grade, let me know too!
0 Replies

Nona

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
McG:

Sorry ole buddy ... got my Doctorate in 1984!!

You gotta try harder than that!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:57 am
The public will decide whether Bush's use of 9/11 imagery is appropriate. Personally, I find it appalling, as do, it would seem, many survivors and people whose loved ones died there. But Bush probably wrote off NY a long time ago.

These ads are for the rest of the country, I'm sure...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:01 pm
Nona wrote:
McG:

Sorry ole buddy ... got my Doctorate in 1984!!

You gotta try harder than that!!

You have a doctorate degree and came out with "You know what they say about Bush appealing to eighth graders!"? Shocked
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:02 pm
seemed appropriate..:-)
0 Replies

Nona

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:10 pm
McG:

As usual you come to battle equipped with right wing thinking instead of facts!

Bush campaign announced (rather proudly) that they went for the eighth grade intellect in the 2000 election!!

Look it up if you can figure out how to!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:11 pm
Really? See, I don't know, it seems like something Pistoff might say... although he didn't mention neo-facists or dunce, so maybe I am off base a bit.
0 Replies