ameriacans and english

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:34 am
what disturbs me is americans who say they love the english accent which one we have the queens english cockneys somerseters devon wiltshire and thats just accents im yet to get to dialects and my fave and is it true that much like we say oxford english the most correct german is spoken in hamburg or am i being misled.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,577 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
As a sentence in English, that is an abyssmal failure. In as much as you have posted it in a language forum, you've left yourself open to the criticism. I am also mystified as to what an ameriacan might be. When some (and by no means all) Americans say they "love an English accent," they are likely referring to the generic type of "oxbridge" accent as they hear it in motion pictures and television. I have always found it hysterical in historical motion picutures made in English that, for example, the Roman generals will have public school accents, and the Centurian and the legionaries will speak with Cockney accents.

It is not incorrect to refer to the general dialect spoken in the United States as the American language, for which there are several "sub-dialects," and at the least dozens, if not actually hundreds of regional and local accents. Personally, although i lived much of my life in the American South, i find some of the coastal dialects of South Carolina to be nearly incomprehensible. There is also a residue of ill-will from the American Civil War--Northerners tend to regard anyone speaking with one of the Southern accents as ignorant. I was watching a program on archaeology with a friend once, and they had a commentator from the University of Georgia, who spoke with one of those thick Carolina coastal accents. My friend (from Ohio) candidly admitted that although he knows the man is highly qualified and knowledgeable, hearing the accent makes him tend to disregard whatever is being said. The same often works in reverse, with some variations--show up south of the Mason-Dixon line, and speak in an obvious east coast accent, and the locals will immediately ask: "You ain't from around here, are ya?"
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:47 pm
With you, Set!

Mutwillig Hexe - Ich speche auch Deutsch und kann damit fliessend sprechen sowie schrieben.

Darf ich dir irgendwas Rat geben? Du solltest mit grossem und kleinem Buchstaben typpen, wenn du weider nicht kritiziert werden willst.

Grammatish has du SO viele Fehler gemacht, dass ich mich frage, ob du auch auf Deutsch so unprecis bist.

Bitte. Wenn du ernst genommen werden willst, solltest du ein bisschen klarer schreiben.

Ebenfalls - willkommen nach a2k. Es gibt hier eine Menge interessante Leute.

Bis bald

KP
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:46 pm
KP, I am impressed. I didn't know you speak German this well. Very good!

Hexe, I was going to answer your question about German. But I have a blackout at the moment and for the life of me I cannot remember where the best German is spoken. Sorry! I love the way they speak in Hamburg, though. They have a certain dialect there, too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:52 pm
Them Hamburgers, they's all Flat-Dutchers, ain't they?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:54 pm
:-) Setanta - yes, I guess so. My nephew moved to Hamburg some time ago. I will ask him what he thinks. He can be trusted - his from southern Germany ;-)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:56 pm
I was just makin' a joke on platt-Deutch (sp?), Boss . . . ehBeth's close friend, Hamburger, speaks that dialect with her, and i like to call it flat Dutch just to stir the pot a little . . .

I gotta 'nother question, too . . . doesn't hexe mean the same as witch in English?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:00 pm
Yes, Platt-Deutsch. I have a friend who was born in Paraguay - they lived in a German village. The whole family moved to Germany many years ago and they still speak this platt-deutsch when they are together. Very strange!

You are right - Hexe means witch.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:08 pm
Ah, my memory is back. Hexe, the best German is supposed to be spoken in the Hannover area. I, of course, prefer our nice Swabian dialect...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:21 pm
I always heard you was a real hot Swabe, Urs . . .
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 07:26 pm
I agree, with everyone who made fun of you. That is the only reason I came here to respond. Sadly my sarcasm is uneeded.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:11 am
Setanta - Embarrassed Laughing
0 Replies

mutwillig hexe

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
and..
firstly it was just a comment and secondly i was in a rush and actually can write well but at my present age the fact i noramlly have the grammatical ability of a fully grown moderately well educated brit i quiete achievment
p.s my age is 14 so youll have to forgive the errors i made through haste.
p.p.s all languages have accents and dialects it is just that britain has so many very different ones.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
"Flat Dutch" Setanta? Dutch is an unique language - at least, that is what we Dutchies think -, by saying Dutch and Platt-Deutsch is almost the same you hurt a lot of people :wink: We have our pride! :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:54 pm
A language is a dialect with a military.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:43 pm
Your grammar is appalling for a fourteen-year-old. What you said makes no sense.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:04 pm
urs - thanks. Embarrassed I admit I didn't speak more than a very little German when I was 14 and it helps that I'm currently in Zurich, so I've been hearing/speaking German the last few days...as far as hearing is concerned, the UGLIEST POSSIBLE form of German, of course - Schwyzerduetsch! Mad

MwH - unlike many chatrooms, this site (which we, in our vanity, consider to be a "discussion forum") is mainly used by adults. In fact, at 32, I feel like one of the younger people here. I don't know if that's actually the case but we don't get many teenagers!

Maybe it's that age showing but, on a2k, try a touch harder with the spelling and grammar, if you want us to take your comments and linguistic abilities seriously.

We don't usually gang up and criticise newcomers and welcome, despite what you've seen on this thread. Harsh language gets reserved for the massive American Liberal v Conservative slanging matches...with Kerry v Bush as the polarised choice for them, it'll be fun to follow!

So, even if I am old enough to be father, don't be patronised - react with more precise language. We don't give out Blue Peter badges for a muddle, even if you do put "aged 14" at the end of it, though!

Take care and don't give up.

KP
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:27 am
KP, yes, Schwytzerduetsch is quite different! How long will you be staying in Zurich? What are you doing there?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
urs

At the airport now, on my way home.

I have been working for a couple of weeks on an investigation in Züri...I can't say more...as it's confidential.

Bis bald

KP
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:59 pm
Ah, kp, too bad we didn't know... We are only about two hours away from Zürich! BigDice and I would have loved to meet you! Maybe next time.

Pass auf Dich auf!
0 Replies