A random guy called me beautiful?

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 02:31 pm
I went to the store today and a guy who works at the store just randomly came up to me and told me I am so beautiful. We chatted a little and then I left. I was surprised because guys barely hit on me and I have never had a boyfriend, been asked out, or been on a date. I didn't even put on makeup when I went to the store and I was really astonished because it was so unexpected. Does this mean he likes me?

roger

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 02:47 pm
@misskaedy,
It could just mean he thought you were beautiful and it would be nice to mention it. Just take it as a nice compliment and go on.

I've had similar impulses, but since I never know how that kind of comment will be received, I usually stiffle the impulse.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 02:50 pm
@misskaedy,
Maybe, maybe not. Some men use a line like that to see if a girl is an easy mark for manipulation, other men might be sincere. Usually the really nice guys would have a hard time making a move like that. I assume you do not know anything about this person, his character or his intentions. How old are you? How old do you think he is?
Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 02:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I've had similar impulses, but since I never know how that kind of comment will be received, I usually stiffle the impulse.

Exactly! Nice guys might think in their heads "wow, she's beautiful, wish I could talk to her", but they know that could be intimidating for numerous reasons and usually will not make the bold move on a stranger.
jespah

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 02:59 pm
@Green Witch,
I've had that said to me when I was pretty obviously having a lousy day - I think in that case it's less of a compliment than a "hang in there" kind of statement.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:20 pm
@jespah,
Only one guy ever sincerely called me beautiful and I love him from long ago even now. He's the one who wrote me short poems in chem class. I think he was what my elders called "smitten". That didn't work out - religion. Which was just as well, looking back, for both of us, not about religion but that he was much more of an outdoor explorer. (Of course, the beautiful thing and the poetry was him making me into a person of interest mixed with fantasy, but a lot of us do that at the start.)

I've been called beautiful once in a while by guys on the street or on construction sites; eh, smile if you want to and walk on, that's all bull, though usually not meant as hostile. (We have a whole long thread about a famous photograph re that).
If you happen to be running the crew and a woman, that will stop fast, unless you foster it to some extent.

Other names can mean more. My husband called me his little avocado. Oh, and Prunella.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:29 pm
I have often told a strange woman that I thought her dress was perfect for her or that whoever cut her hair should get a prize.

When I was married, I wore a ring and didn't mess around, when I was single (ah,,,,such good days, such bad days.) such compliments sometimes led to something more, often enough to make me happy.

No one ever seemed offended.

I especially like to go up to someone who is obliviously on her way to a job interview and say "I just want to tell you, you look great."

That makes my day.

Joe( Cool )Nation
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:37 pm
A random guy called me beautiful once, or was that bitch?

I can’t remember.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:41 pm
@misskaedy,
misskaedy wrote:
it was so unexpected.

I sometimes like to pay people unexpected compliments just because.

Sometimes it startles them, generally they smile and go on with their day - hopefully a tiny bit happier than before I paid them a compliment.

I'm particularly fond of complimenting goth and emo-style kids on their overall look. They tend to fall into the startled category.

Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:57 pm
@Green Witch,
I have been known to say "Hey, thanks for the smile". Sometimes it's just unexpected, and only when it's deserved.
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 06:48 pm
@misskaedy,
Are you sure there weren't any cameras around? This reminds of these guys in youtube called simplepickup

It's just a possibility anyway, but it'd be something wouldn't it if you were to browse youtube and you see yourself in one of these immature videos.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
chai2

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 07:09 pm
I randomly compliment people all the time, both male and female.

Usually not the ones who seem to expect to be compliment, just any person will do.

Thing is, you've got to mean it.

I have people do that to me too. I just enjoy the lift it gives me.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

It could just mean he thought you were beautiful and it would be nice to mention it. Just take it as a nice compliment and go on.

Ditto on that sentiment.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:08 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
most likely you were marked as a potential victim. you should be careful with this guy in the future.

Yeah ... most likely. That's the most likely explanation out of all possible explanations.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:36 am
Pffft. Just enjoy it. Consider it a good day, and go on.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
most likely you were marked as a potential victim. you should be careful with this guy in the future.

Come on Hawkeye........
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:55 am
@misskaedy,
I had a woman out of the blue tell me that I have lovely eyes of all things, it was a nice feeling for an old male.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 09:28 am
@BillRM,
That's the best reason to do it - someone else having that nice feeling.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 09:38 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I have people do that to me too. I just enjoy the lift it gives me.

Wow. That was a really nice post, Chai!