I know nobody cares, but.......

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 11:54 am
You've always been a thoughtful independent MM. I respect your decision.
The 47% tirade was what did it for me, maybe you too.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 01:13 pm
@rosborne979,
While I 100% agree with him on defense issues, there were several things that caused me to make my decision.
In no particular order, they were...

His comment about the 47%. There was no way it could be justified or explained away as a slip of the tongue.

Try as I might, I couldn't reconcile his budget numbers with anything economists were saying. While I agree that the budget needs some serious work, I couldn't make his numbers work with any math I was ever taught.

While I think his experience as a businessman would be better for job creation than Obama, I don't see how he can honestly say his plan will create 12 million jobs. If he is elected, I hope he can do it, I honestly don't see how it will.

There are other issues, but these are the big ones for me.
This does not mean that I support Obama, it does mean that I consider him the lesser of two evils.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 01:19 pm
@roger,
I am.

I'm particularly interested in supreme court appointments. On any agenda that he may want to act on, though, he is apt to run into the same old brick wall of recalcitrance. Whether he has an agenda other than shown thus far, I'm fairly doubtful, as I consider him a centrist.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:13 pm
@mysteryman,
Thanks MM
mysteryman wrote:

While I 100% agree with him on defense issues, there were several things that caused me to make my decision.
In no particular order, they were...

His comment about the 47%. There was no way it could be justified or explained away as a slip of the tongue.

For what it's worth, I consider this faux pas by Romney to be purely the result of naked pandering to the particular audience he thought he was alone with. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but that's why I think he said it.

I haven't looked at his proposed budget, so I can't comment on that.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:34 pm
There isn't a proposed budget, never has been. He has always sidestepped any questions on actual numbers, or cuts, or loopholes, or ways to get enough revenue.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 03:56 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

For what it's worth, I consider this faux pas by Romney to be purely the result of naked pandering to the particular audience he thought he was alone with. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but that's why I think he said it.

I don't know that I could fake that level of contempt for people just to pander.
JPB

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:24 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I consider this faux pas by Romney to be purely the result of naked pandering to the particular audience he thought he was alone with. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but that's why I think he said it.

I consider everything that comes out of his mouth to be naked pandering to one group or another. I have absolutely no idea what he stands for. Actually, I don't think he stands for anything beyond being President of the United States for reasons of his own.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 05:22 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I don't know that I could fake that level of contempt for people just to pander.
That's why engineers don't make good politicians Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 05:28 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I consider everything that comes out of his mouth to be naked pandering to one group or another. I have absolutely no idea what he stands for. Actually, I don't think he stands for anything beyond being President of the United States for reasons of his own.
Pandering politicians are nothing new, but I must admit Romney seems to be embracing the practice with enthusiasm. But our whole election process has become more of a media show than it used to be. Both parties are starting to embrace the whole "facts don't matter" mindset because people are more strongly manipulated now by media propaganda than they are by actually understanding real issues.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 06:11 pm
@rosborne979,
When John Kerry flip flopped, everybody got on his case. What makes Romney get away with it?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 06:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

When John Kerry flip flopped, everybody got on his case. What makes Romney get away with it?

new massively lowered expectations...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 06:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's that bloody left-wing-controlled media that everyone's always carrying on about. Yup. That's it.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
panzade

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 05:10 am
@engineer,
Quote:

In a nutshell....
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:19 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Wasn't much different from the contempt Obama disclosed for rural voters with the "cling to guns and religion" comment though. Both thought they were behind closed doors preaching to the choir.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:27 am
@hawkeye10,
This is an important point, the beating Romney had taken prior to the debate is an important part of the narrative arc.

If Romney had been doing well leading up to it the media would have been more critical of him, but he entered as an underdog with very low expectations and surprised everyone.

How good things are is something humans don't calculate intrinsically, it's a calculation that must be done relative to something else, often expectations. If the performance hadn't been incongruous with the expectations this probably wouldn't have gone down as the biggest TV presidential debate win of all time (according to Gallup polling it was).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:42 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

He avoids being specific.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:13 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
This does not mean that I support Obama, it does mean that I consider him the lesser of two evils.

Then vote for somebody else. There's no law saying that your choices in every presidential contest are limited to the dummy that the GOP nominates and the phony that the Democrats nominate. And since you live in Kentucky, your vote for Obama doesn't matter at all. If you're intent on voting for a loser, better that you vote for a third-party candidate who represents your true interests than a major-party candidate whose only virtue is that he's less-worse than the other guy.
JPB

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:27 am
@joefromchicago,
And if everyone who is dissatisfied with the choice offered by the two main parties voted for a third party candidate who represents their interest then it won't necessarily be voting for a loser.

Paul and Johnson are not nonfactors in this election
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 06:10 am
@mysteryman,
If I thought for one second that what we would get if Romney were elected is Romney (which I do not) I might consider voting for him (which I will not.)

If Romney is elected, and I think there is a good chance he will be, it will further the agenda of the batshit crazy far-right more than the election of Ronald Reagan did. The safety-net function of government will take a catastrophic hit.

There is no way I want that to happen.

In my opinion, voting for a third party is a cop-out, so I just cannot do it. I will vote for Obama.

I realize that intelligent, reasonable people may take a different route...but I also get that intelligent, reasonable people may feel exactly as I do on the issue.