I know nobody cares, but.......

Below viewing threshold (view)
Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:18 pm
@roger,
A Republican president would have finished what basically Bush started in terms of bailing out the banks. It was not an Obama idea. I wasn't for it either, it was purely a case of corporations pulling the strings of Washington. I was in favor of bailing out the car companies and I believe we have been paid back on that. The stock market is up about 60% since Obama took office and it's one of the few things I can say I believe he helped with his policies about government working to help American companies rebound.

I'm fine with the Dream Act, but I also have worked with young people in that immigration limbo and I'm glad Obama took a stand to help them. The ones I worked with would do this country proud. You might not like how he did it, but surely you don't think the last administration did everything by the book?

I have no expertise in this area and can't argue it in detail., but Bush appointed more political cronies than anyone, especially thorough out the lower court systems. My understanding is Obama has been actually lax about about making appointments to lower courts and has been criticized for it.

You think Bush and Cheney followed all laws and procedures? If Obama did anything to destroy faith in government (and personally I think you have to look back at Reagan for those beginnings) it was because people thought he could ride in and single handedly fix what Bush/Cheney destroyed in terms of our world respect and our economy. Really, for years Republicans have done nothing but say "government is not the answer" and then go around defunding every good gov't program and making laws that favor big corporations at the expense of everyone else. Now they say: "See, we told you government was the problem and we proved it." Republicans can not understand the difference between Big Government and Effective Government. If it's not a weapon or a corporate handout they don't want to fund it. For a bunch of people who think they understand investing they are pathetic. I would like to see more Republicans invest in their country by investing in their government. I'm sorry you feel that Obama created this distrust, but I think you can trace it back much longer than the last 4 years.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
Examples of what exactly?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:24 pm
@Green Witch,
I guess not.

Self-absorption R'us.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:25 pm
No, JTT, it's not self-absorbed at all. We're concerned about YOU, not us. We're doing our best to give you somebody you can rant and rave about for the next four years. Can't you feel the love?

MM, wise decision. We here in Massachusetts have had the best position in the country to observe Mitt Romney up close and personal, in the only elective office he's ever held, and to evaluate his performance. Which is why we back Obama 63% to 33% for Romney. We know.
JTT

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
You're truly nuts, MJ, if you don't think y'all aren't incredibly self absorbed. People with consciences don't sit idle while their governments murder millions and steal the very bread from their mouths.

Quote:
MM, wise decision. We here in Massachusetts ...

See what I mean.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:53 pm
blah blah blah
Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:54 pm
@MontereyJack,
The funny thing about having someone on ignore is it makes it look like other people are talking to themselves.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:58 pm
It's the old principle of always talking to the most intelligent person present (particularly when jtt is around).(you never get the impression of actually talking TO him--it's like everything just bounces off).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
blah blah blah

Finally, a cogent response from you, MJ.

Notice how you never seem to be able to address the issues. That ought clue you in that you are so often out to lunch.

You should take the same cowardly approach that so many of your fellow self-absorbed compatriots have taken.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:06 pm
Funny thing is, jtt, I'm probably the only person here who agrees with you on a lot of the things the US has done historically. but you're so monomaniacal and one-dimensional about it, so intent on bringing it up everywhere in any situation, no matter how far removed, or how far-fetched the connection, that all I can think of is John Cleese's description of the anti-abbatoir faction as "blinkered, philistine pig-ignorance." that's the impression you leave.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:57 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

A Republican president would have finished what basically Bush started in terms of bailing out the banks. It was not an Obama idea.

You misunderstood my point. I conceded the possibility it was needed, and kind of held my nose. My objection was to changing rules vital to the decision making precess, and making those changes retroactive. It not only makes intelligent decision making impossible, it demonstrates a lack of integrity.

Green Witch wrote:

I'm fine with the Dream Act, but I also have worked with young people in that immigration limbo and I'm glad Obama took a stand to help them. The ones I worked with would do this country proud. You might not like how he did it, but surely you don't think the last administration did everything by the book?

Well, there you go! We've found an area of agreement on the Dream Act. You are also correct in that I very well did not like the way he did it. It strikes me as at least a disrespect for the separation of powers that I thought was integral to the constitution. Why bother with Congress at all, when you can slither around it. By the way, the people who would have been affected by the Dream Act are still in limbo, believe it or not. To take advantage of whatever the alternative is called, they must first present themselves as ILLEGAL ALIENS. Then, they usually receive permission to work in the country for two years. Wow. What's their status after two years? Under a different administration? If you know that, you know more than the rest of us. As for the question of the last administration being by the book, you might think I'm dodging the question by pointing out that the last administration is not standing for reelection.

Green Witch wrote:
I have no expertise in this area and can't argue it in detail., (me and you both) but Bush appointed more political cronies than anyone, especially thorough out the lower court systems. My understanding is Obama has been actually lax about about making appointments to lower courts and has been criticized for it.

Again, you are talking about an administration that isn't running for anything. Also, I haven't faulted Obama for political appointments. I do not fault him for recess appointments. I fault him for appointments when the Senate was not in recess.

You think Bush and Cheney followed all laws and procedures?
[/quote]

I'll skip the same comment on who and who isn't running for reelection.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 02:13 am
@mysteryman,
I care MM, America is still the main driving force behind the global economy. Obama's Keynsian policies are beginning to work. Over here the economy has flatlined due to Tory Monetarist policies.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 04:10 am
I forgot to say, MM, I'm glad you've made your decision, I especially like that I agree with you, but if you had decided the other way I would have respected that decision as well. Well thought out decisions deserve that, knee-jerk sheep-like ones do not.

Joe(now, about all those other GOP candidates in your area.....)Nation
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:07 am
MM, welcome to the light side of the Force. You did good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:21 am
@mysteryman,
I salure you for your honesty, and resisting the lure of partisan polemic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:35 am
@mysteryman,
It sounds like a difficult, but principled, choice on your part.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:45 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
That's the problem with this election (and most of the recent elections) -- we all end up voting for the person we consider to be the least objectionable candidate.

This is not a characteristic of recent elections. It is the inevitable result of the fatally-flawed voting system. Here is an accessible explanation of the flaws in the system and why it leads to the situation you describe:

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:51 am
@MontereyJack,
Exactly. A poster-child for the diametrically-opposed interlocutor.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 10:43 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
While I agree with a few of his beliefs, and while I disagree with most of his beliefs, I just can't reconcile his more idiotic statements with anything I believe.
Just curious, which of his statements/positions are the ones which are causing you the most concern?