Ghengis Khan

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:49 am
For the record, i am not a "fan" of Charlemagne. I mentioned him as an example of a tribally-minded conqueror who at least accomplished something which has left a legacy into modern times--unlike Temujin, who simply has left a memory or terror and bloodshed.
0 Replies

BornSilent

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:33 am
I won't debate the difference between Charlemagne and Temujin, because the two societies/cultures that brought them up and that they in part created were two very different things.

Part of the reason that Temujin's legacy is mostly of bloodshed and terror in our eyes now is the exact same reason that the Spartans of the Hellens are remembered mostly today because of their wars with Athens, and the battle of Thermopole. Neither the Mongols nor the Spartans had much in the way of a writing about themselves, so their actions were taken down historically by the people they conquered or were conquered by. This means that the history we read of Temujin is mostly an ethnocentric one.

In any case, Temujin did leave a written langauge behind, a code of laws (which may or may not have been original) and the potential for a solidified mongol nation, instead of many dozens of warring tribes. He also left a system in place that would allow for his predecesors to continue to rule for many generations (A dozen or so? I forget)

Certainly there was plenty of terror and bloodshed, but I disagree that that was ALL he left behind.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:08 am
What about Kooblah Kahn?I think he was Genghis's grandson.Wasnt Xanadu his palace?
0 Replies

boutolliz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:15 am
Genghis Khan ignorant, and nothing about civilization
a leader af savage and bestal creatures, he is the shame of human history
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:16 am
Im sure he wasnt the only one plus it just shows that wea are all animals.
0 Replies

conman71

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:34 pm
Here's an interesting article about Ghengis Khan:

link

It says he could be related to 16 million people living today.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:34 am
They had first gunpowder battle (?) in China. Took them 70 years to conquer. This palace or castle in China has some gunpowder fortification or something. They got kicked out in less than a century. Then in order to keep them out, this Chinese general in the Ming dynasty apparently lined up chariots with primitive guns sticking out of it in the border. Someone talked about it anyways.

Not sure why they didn't advance to Western Europe.

I got to be frank, I don't like the Hordes at all. The destruction they left is horrible.
0 Replies

conman71

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
Ray wrote:

Not sure why they didn't advance to Western Europe.

They attacked the Kievan-Russian empire from 1237-1242 and essentially swept through the area with ease, destroying the immobile European knights easily in Poland in Hungary as well. However, in 1242 the Mongol Khan, Ogodei (Genghis Khan's son) died, and all of the Mongol armies in Europe withdrew to Mogolia, never to come back to Europe again. It was an ironic situation because after defeating the Russian principalities, there ws no significant army standing between the Mongol hordes and the Atlantic Ocean. They could have captured all of Europe.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 07:04 pm
Quote:
They could have captured all of Europe.

Well, that's a debate that has gone on forever on some forums.
0 Replies

Mosin Nagant

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 03:09 pm
So Cool
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:52 pm
First Ghengis and Kubla Khan then Mao proved that China can be changed; but only for a short while.

Lincoln and Kennedy (and to an extent, Nixxon) proved the same about the USA.

Wither now?
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:32 am
1 in 200 people is estimated to be descended from him.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:37 am
He is a rapist, no doubt.
0 Replies

Beyonder

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:00 am
Had Hitler won WW2, he would have been remembered as another Genghiz Khan. But Hitler lost. And that, dear friends, is the ONLY difference between those two.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 12:44 am
The Mughals of India were descendants of Ghengis Khan, so the mongols conquered India. Mughal or Mogul is Persian for Mongol.
0 Replies

Maradona

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 03:37 pm
2 words: military genius
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:07 pm
From the Mughals we have the Taj Mahal, a beautiful marble mausoleum as a symbol of his love for his departed wife. The Taj Mahal was encrusted with jewels but the canny British Raj pried them loose. The Kohinoor, Persian for mountain of light, taken from the Taj now resides in the Queen Elizabeth's Crown. From them we have extravagance, excess and excellence.
0 Replies

Kratos

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:37 pm
If you went through China's education system 30 years ago, Genghis Khan would have been taught as a source of shame. Only in recent years has Ghengis Khan become a source of historical pride in China (encouraged by the CCP). Mongolians have begun complaining that China's recent efforts to promote GK as an integral part of Chinese history has caused Mongolian youth to become less interested in their history because the Chinese "took him away as their own".
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:46 am
AN accountant in Florida,whose ancestors come from Cumbria is supposed to be his direct descendant.
0 Replies