Arranged marriages

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:58 pm
Arranged marriage, not fixed marriage, is shown to have lower divorce rate than love marriage, and this stats come from the eastern nations. Do you think the main cause for this is because women have less freedom of movement in society in those nations?

The math just doesn't add up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 979 • Replies: 5
No top replies

thorax232

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 04:01 pm
@Mockingclown,
I would think it's because the women are taught from a young age to simply take care of the husband and support him while he works.
When the woman takes care and teaches the kids at home and the man works all day there's generally a better sense of family and a better understanding of where each others borders are. ...When everyone has a role it makes things simpler.

I'm not saying I support arranged marriages but from my perspective, that may be why there's lower divorce rates.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 04:43 pm
@Mockingclown,
If the divorce rate is lower then it can be a deceptive statistic. In many countries where arranged marriage is customary, most women do not have as many rights as men. When that is the case, the divorce rate being lower is a deceptive and meaningless statistic.
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 05:11 pm
@Ragman,
one should perhaps check the death rates Wink
Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 05:14 pm
@djjd62,
.... not to mention the female disappearance rate.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 06:30 pm
@Mockingclown,
If you look at the countries or societies in which arranged marriage is a norm you will see women not only have fewer rights, but also have little opportunity to earn their own living or control their reproductive organs. They are made dependent on men for all their basic needs such as housing, clothing and food. These women also usually have no access to birth control and are thus not in control of their family size and often find themselves with more children than they might want or can care for. These factors make them prisoners within the institution of marriage. I'm old enough to remember the divorce boom of the late 60's and 70's, it basically came about because many women who were unhappy in their marriages suddenly had the social, sexual and financial freedom to depart - and they did so in droves. I think many women in arranged marriages would also do so if given such an equal opportunity to be free.
0 Replies