Sex with a guy i just met???

Below viewing threshold (view)
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:13 am
@hawkeye10,
When did this so call helpful feature come into being I wonder.

Was if ask for by users or just put into place without any notification or input of the users base?

At least google allow you to op out of their safe search feature and is can still be annoying when using an open wifi hotspots that does not allow you disable that feature. More then once I needed to used tor to get around such nonsense.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:13 am
yeah, robert, stop demisishing yourself

wait is that a bad word
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Would WANK not be better?.

You know, cut to the chase and all that.
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:19 am
@eurocelticyankee,
that would work best for the Political threads

We Acknowledge No Knowledge
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I see that you've donned your sackcloth and ashes and decided to once again make an idiot out of yourself in public. A small-minded man with one key on his piano, you are.

We're use to that Smile

I like the new tag idea, I'm sure others will too. If the thread is tagged you can choose to ignore it, and those that don’t and choose to read it anyway have no right to bitch about the content.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 11:40 am
@djjd62,
I haven't made the list yet, but will probably just make it something like the Carlin list. This too will be a preference and optional to keep the totalitarianism to a minimum.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 11:41 am
@hawkeye10,
I have defended them, just because you can't come up with a cogent counter-argument does not mean I have not defended my actions.

You just want to jump to your sky-is-falling routine and are hoping for some ammunition. The reality is that having NSFW is little red letters on the thread grid is precious little difference and you are just once again being a jackass for the sake of it.

******* daft as it gets, you are. The notion that I am trying to white-wash a2k just doesn't hold water. These are the mechanisms that allow for me not to have to, by allowing the people who want to avoid the topics more of an ability to but if anyone wants to ignore the little NSFW text they can have at it. You are full of ****, as per usual.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 01:53 pm
@BillRM,
There is already a preference that lets you make the posts not collapse, I'd thought of making it so that not even the NSFW shows up but honestly I don't have time for that level of hand-holding. I suggest instead, that the folks who have a problem with those extra 4 letters get over it or find somewhere else that is more to their liking (those who matter don't mind it, those who mind don't matter, they are people who want to complain for the sake of it and who we aren't ever going to please).

And no, this was not discussed with the members beforehand and future changes won't always be either. This is a site with a clear vision of what it is and what it will be and not a site with a million cooks who each have a say in it. The decisions are socialized among the people who spend their blood sweat and tears making it happen but not every Tom, Dick and Harry who has a free account and an opinion about how to do things here. Instead of half-assing a design-by-committee we would rather whole-ass a site with a clear purpose, clear principles (not principles du jour), and a coherent vision.

This vision happens to be for an open, democratic community that allows its members to discuss what they want and read what they want. The problem with folks like Hawkeye is that he wants it to be a place where it discusses what he wants and where everyone reads what he wants. People like him, who not only want freedom of their own experience, but want to dictate the experiences of others, are simply never going to be served well here. This site is designed to maximize personal freedom, not the obnoxious desire to dictate to others what they should read and discuss.

Able2know is a free marketplace of ideas, it is not Hawkeye's personal soapbox and if the marketplace rejects his ideas it will be provided the mechanisms to do so more efficiently. And for all his whining, he can't actually point out a single real difference that any of these changes that he bitches about has caused him. Hell the flags draw attention to the topics more so than any nonsense that he is claiming.

Anyway, I have said it from the beginning and will say it again. This site exists to execute on my vision of an open marketplace for ideas. It does not exist to execute on yours. If yours is incompatible with this one, then I can live with failing to have served your needs. I can't please everyone and am not trying to.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 02:52 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
. . . major posters such as Hawkeye . . .

Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

Whoo . . .

Major whiner more like . . .
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 02:55 pm
@BillRM,
The notion that Hawkeye is slaving away making me money to line my pockets is risible. But if it is so, then you should applaud my principled position of telling him not to let the doorknob hit him in the ass if he dislikes my vision for this community. The decisions of how this community are not to be dictated by revenue.

Thing is, even if I did put it to the community they wouldn't be on you whiny bastard's sides anyway so this is really moot. You guys just want to throw things on the ground.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
i must admit, i've never understood your claim that robert somehow stifles the free flow of ideas, he offers ways to utilize the site that allows folks to read what they want,if he makes filters the default,it's not his fault that folks can't figure out how to remove them, it's been discussed enough, it's all on the preferences page

it seems to me that you blame robert for the fact that folks put you on ignore, or collapse unwanted threads

if we were standing in a crowd and you were pontificating and half the group turned away and started their own discussion, not paying any attention to you, it would be the same thing, sure in person you could shout and scream to be heard, but then it moves beyond discourse and into the realm of public disturbance
Foofie

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

NSFW is very common around these parts (New York, USA) . I'm not sure that ANY of A2K is 'Safe for Work'.

Quote:
Hey, what are you working on?

Huh? I'm trying to add three words to this hilarious Three-Word Thread and I just finished a classic retort to that idiot whose been posting on this Jesus-never-mentioned-Slavery thread. Why?

Because I need to review the numbers in your September Summary Report and I don't have your September Summary Report yet.

Oh, that. Well, let me just Copy this URL on this picture of an overloaded railroad car of hogs with the words "My baby takes the morning train..." under it and, just a second, ............PASTE it into the Funny Pictures- Slow Loading thread. Okay. Got it. Oh, look, what a funny cartoon!!!! Hilarious!!

They were splitting their sides when I told them this story down at the Unemployment Office.

Joe(I'm still laughing.)Nation

In my opinion, most politically oriented threads are not safe for work, since in a diverse workplace, someone will not appreciate an opinion that may not be politically correct in an urban, blue state, workplace.

The basic premise, in my opinion, of being an employee today is fitting into the organizational team, without ruffling anyone's feathers. And, many a workplace is quite diverse today. Many a thread is too controversial for perusing at work, in my opinion.
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:12 pm
@Foofie,
the fact that people find things controversial amuses me

nothing should offend, ignore what you don't like, embrace what you do
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:15 pm
Some threads seem, in my opinion, to meander far afield from the original topic. At that point, maybe the acronym FUBAR (F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition) would be appropriate?
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:16 pm
@Foofie,
might work
0 Replies