Bachmann: ‘We Must Ban Falafel’ in School Lunches

raprap

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:10 am
This is satire but with Bachmann being a breath away from bat-**** crazy it almost sounds plausible.

Minnesota Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann courted controversy today by claiming that falafel and other "jihadi foods" should be banned from school lunches in the United States.

In an interview with local television station KSTP in Minneapolis, Bachmann explained that after visiting a local elementary school she was shocked to find that falafel - a fried vegetable patty popular in the Arab world - was being served as a option on the vegetarian menu.

Ostensibly in the studio to discuss her close race for reelection against Democratic challenger Jim Graves, Bachmann instead used the time to appeal for a nationwide movement against Arab cuisine.

Startled by the parochial nature of her statements, KSTP anchor Chris Johnson felt obliged to challenge her reasoning:

"I have to ask Ms. Bachmann, why is that a problem? I mean some children like the taste of falafel, what's wrong with that?"

"Chris, falafel is a gateway food," responded Bachmann, "It starts with falafel, then the kids move on to shawarma. After a while they say 'hey this tastes good, I wonder what else comes from Arabia?' "

"Before you know it our children are listening to Muslim music, reading the Koran, and plotting attacks against the homeland."

"We need to stop these terror cakes now, before they infiltrate any further."

God Hates Chick Peas

Bachmann stopped short of advocating a ban on all Arab food, saying that "responsible adults can probably use Arab food safely in moderation."

However, she made clear that she was frightened by the pace at which the cuisine has permeated the U.S.:

"I have a friend in Texas who has to homeschool her children because her local public school forces students to eat hummus. Its everywhere now. This is really scary stuff."

Bachmann then intimated that the widespread use of Arab foods in American schools could be the sign of a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top:

"I have no proof that President Obama is forcing our children to eat Arab and Middle Eastern food. But it would certainly fit the pattern."

Bachmann has a history of controversial statements regarding Islam and the role of Muslims in America.

She says her first priority upon returning to congress will be to introduce a bill protecting America's children from the dangers of Muslim cooking:

"We must ban falafel and other jihadi foods in schools before its too late."

http://dailycurrant.com/2012/09/28/bachmann-we-ban-falafel-school-lunches/

Personally I'm of the opinion that if Michelle Bachmann fell onto something hard she'd shatter into a million spiders.

Rap
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 3,362 • Replies: 20

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:11 am
@raprap,
love this!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:17 am
Can we get some tabouli, too?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:28 am
@raprap,
They can have my tabbouleh when they pry it from my cold, dead, lips.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:40 am
On Radio 4 the other day there was an interview with an Israeli and a Palestinian chef, both sides claim Hummus as their own.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
On Radio 4 the other day there was an interview with an Israeli and a Palestinian chef, both sides claim Hummus as their own.

uh-oh.

If this causes a war, they should be limited into only throwing Hummus at each other.

Joe(oh,the humanity!)Nation
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 09:00 am
@Joe Nation,
Actually when the presenter said that the perception over here was that Hummus was Greek they both found common cause.
jcboy

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 09:09 am
@raprap,
What's a shame is when it's outlandish you actually think it's true and this certainly sounds like the **** she's said in the past. Bat **** crazy Bachmann!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:04 pm
@raprap,
Freedom grits.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:11 pm
The entire Republican party has become satire, they need no help from other sources.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:11 pm
@raprap,
Woman has got to be a descendant of one of those MN loons! Christianist hate monger! Would love to know her response if the Catholic Church insisted fish be served in school luncheons on Friday! Cool
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Quote:

uh-oh.

If this causes a war, they should be limited into only throwing Hummus at each other.

Joe(oh,the humanity!)Nation
Razz
I'd volunteer as an UN Peacekeeper to hand out pita bread shields! Oh the tasty collateral damage that war would bring!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:41 pm
@dlowan,
I love Rap, of course.

Rapgrits, those could be packaged, eh?

Personally, the falafel stuff in packages bores me. My latest effort involved adding mexican oregano, new mexican chile powder, and dried parsley, plus plentiful black pepper.

Can't some school somewhere ignore my efforts and make real falafels?

How can we as a country (speaking u.s. talk) have fabulous chefs and such pitiful sustensance for our children?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Is there a disconnect between cooks, chefs, and schools? I think there have been a lot of ballyhooed instances, but that even after all that, the people who cook, or present, at schools, know just about nothing about food.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

it's a matter of money.

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
That's inventive Osso. I don't have the patience to make my own falafel. Besides, falafel is so prevelant here in NYC, it's almost as easy to find as Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and Chase Bank ATMs here in NYC.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Falafels are not prevalent in new mexico - much less tasty ones. Well, maybe in Santa Fe, that is a more toney place. Mark Bittman had a good recipe for sauteed/fried chick peas that looked easy and good and delicious. Why are they not on school lunches? Because no one, apparently, who has anything to do with school lunches looks at food columns, or food blogs, much less nutrition blogs.
Hiss. Schools need to hire people who know something about food.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 04:01 pm
...computer trouble, sorry.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 04:19 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
"We need to stop these terror cakes now, before they infiltrate any further."

It's true!
I live in an area with a high Muslim population.
They all go berserk after lunch!
God knows what they're like after dinner!
Ban chick peas now!

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 07:27 am
She's GOT TO GO! she is like one of those pretty fairies on true blood that is really a old wicked nasty wench under it all. This one was packaged up very well, soccer mom with sweet sincere smiles and big blue eyes are always the most effective way to brainwash people.

A good christian mom, problem is she is evil, she may be a true christian I'd give her that according to her fire and brimstone bible but she is really as dangerous as Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wrapped in a shiny appealing package.

Michele Bachmann Outspends Opponent Jim Graves 12-To-1, Still At Risk Of Losing

Quote:
ST. CLOUD, Minn., Nov 2 (Reuters) - U.S. Representative Michele Bachmann, known for controversial comments during her Republican presidential nomination bid, faces a tough congressional election challenge on Tuesday in a Minnesota district that should be friendly to conservatives.

The race in the sprawling Minnesota 6th Congressional District has been the nation's most expensive in both money raised and spent by Bachmann and Democratic challenger Jim Graves, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

The two candidates have raised a total of $22.7 million and spent $20.8, the center reported.

Bachmann, a champion of Tea Party backers of smaller government and conservative social issues such as opposition to abortion and gay rights, has outspent Graves by more than twelve-to-one in seeking election to a fourth term in Congress.

But her remarks, including an insistence on a link between an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the Muslim Brotherhood, have been denounced by some in her own party and may be wearing on voters, experts said.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 09:22 am
@ossobuco,
High school cafeteria style cooking is hardly the bastion of creative chefs. However, the food is rarely cooked by the people who design the menu, or the purchasers who must comply with cheap budgets. And they're kind of limited to a steady production of hamburgers, hotdogs, and fries, as expected by a population of picky eaters.
The disconnect is trying to appease what 'could/should be done' with reality.
0 Replies