what to do with an old printer scanner combo

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 01:02 pm
A. Put it in the trash
B. Give it to a thrift shop (with directions and note about its deficiencies)
C. Give it to some website/firm that fixes stuff to give to schools
D. Leave on the curb, similar to B.

Not very long ago, my printer scanner didn't print, and I went through a bunch of hours, off and on, doing the inkjet cleaning routine. (I had been ignorant and not known or remembered the print at least once a month if you have an inkjet printer advice.) The last notice from the machine was that I needed magenta ink., the other jets clear. I almost never printed stuff with colors, so I figure that jet was dead as a doornail even with new ink. Or, maybe not.

The scanner works, but the glass has some specks under it, not on the glass surface. Anyone picky re photos would care about that.

Not wanting to buy magenta ink for naught, I got a new printer scanner on sale, like it (or will, once I figure some stuff out) - for $54.00 plus replacement warranty. Hey, given what ink costs...

So, please select from A through D, or add other advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,623 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Hello?

I still need advice.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I vote craigs list -
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I vote C: Schools can use it.

Before I left CA I had two old laptops and that’s what I did with them. The one thing that bothers me about Craig’s List is you never know who’s coming out to your house, I’m a worry wart!
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 02:43 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
The one thing that bothers me about Craig’s List is you never know who’s coming out to your house

That's the joy of it! It makes life interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 07:47 am
Aha, you two made me remember about Freecycle.com
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 08:28 am
@ossobuco,
We have a place at our town transfer station (nice word for dump) - where you can drop off stuff to be recycled for others to use. Kinda like freecycle, but in person.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 03:49 pm
@Linkat,
We do too but it's hard for me to get to. It went with the trash this a.m.
Meantime I had asked a thriftshop person, the guy who mans the local truck at our market a few days a week and he said "trash", we can't fix it.

Well I remember fixit shops, and sometimes think those could be started up again, but given what it takes to rent a place, I guess there's no money in it.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Not to mention, consumer things aren't really designed to make repairs practical. Forty dollar toaster breaks down and you determine the problem is internal to a piece of molded plastic. The troubleshooting has just eaten up the value of the toaster, and the part might not be available at any cost.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:51 pm
@jcboy,
So am I - I'm not used to victim mode, I'm from Venice, ya know. I've always been careful about who is invited to my house, more so now.

The thing I never considered when I picked this particular lemon (I love it, sort of, while I hate it) is that it is on a miserable street re possibility of garage sales.
0 Replies