Is buying a REFURBISHED printer worth it?

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2021 09:49 pm
Hi. I am interested in buying a new printer. I considered buying a refurbished one, but then I saw this video:

The obvious reason for buying a refurbished printer is cost. You can buy a refurbished printer much cheaper than a new one.

Refurbished means like-new. I asked Epson to explain to me what refurbishing entails on eBay. They said:

"During the refurbishing process, anything wrong with the unit gets replaced. Then our quality-assurance team reviews each refurbished product and they get inspected and tested to ensure they perform properly."

These are the points given in the video:

1. Check the counter or odometer
2. Check the interior
3. Make sure it's certified
4. Consider a warranty from the manufacturer

I was interested in buying a refurbished printer from Epson on Ebay. I spoke to someone from Epson customer service. They said if you buy a refurbished printer from Epson on eBay the counter would be reset to zero.

I asked if the printer I was interested in buying was certified and if there was a warranty for it.

I don't think he understood what I was talking about. I have to get back to him or someone else at Epson customer service

about the printer being certified and being under warranty. I asked if I got get in writing and/or get some kind of email confirmation indicating the printer is certified and under warranty if I bought it from eBay, because I didn't see any such info on eBay for the printer being sold.

If you buy a NEW printer from Epson it will be certified and under warranty.

Does anyone here have ANY experience with buying REFURBISHED printers, and/or ANY kind of refurbished goods?

Is buying a refurbished printer worth it or should I buy a new one like a few people I know suggested I should do?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,357 • Replies: 6
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 09:45 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't bother with printers, if I need a copy of something I download it on a chip and take it to the copy centre.

That way you don't have the cost of printer up front.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't bother with printers, if I need a copy of something I download it on a chip and take it to the copy centre.

That way you don't have the cost of printer up front.
that's a good point...if you don't print much this might be a better option for you.

I bought one thing off eBay that was refurbished. It wasn't a printer but Bluetooth headphones..I would make sure the eBay seller is reputable... Make sure s/he has good reviews and enough reviews....also there should be some sort if warranty ...not as long as a new printer but some sort of guarantee for a reasonable length of time....read the reviews that might also give you an indication this seller stands by his products.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
Printers are awful, there's always a trouble connecting, the machine spends ten minutes whirring and clunking only to print off something from two weeks ago you'd forgotten about.

Thdn there's paperjams and the price of printer ink.

I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle to tell the truth.
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:02 pm
@izzythepush,
You're right about that. I don't bother having a printer at home anymore. Like you said they are always breaking down and the ink is expensive. I rarely print anything but when I need something printed I save the file to a thumb drive and take it to an office supply store to have it printed.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:09 pm
@jcboy,
It's one less thing to worry about.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:21 pm
@izzythepush,
My husband just bought 4 toners for $42.00 on Amazon for his fairly new wireless printer! I think I paid about $50 for my refilled toner. Things have gotten so cheap. My printer is a Brother from 2007 and I paid $129 for it. It's still going strong. I like having the printed stuff right away and not having to go somewhere and line up. We get 50 free pages at our library every month and I only use that when I want to do colour or an 11 x 17.
0 Replies