What should I do regarding my old Epson WF-2540 all-in-one inkjet printer which isn't working?

Fri 25 Dec, 2020 04:34 pm
Hi. I have an Epson WF-2540 all-in-one inkjet printer. I haven't used it in a long time. Shortly after I had my internet service reinstated on my laptop, I ordered ink for it on Ebay. After I installed the ink cartridges' the only thing I could do on my scanner was scan. I tried printing test pages but the pages didn't register. I did nozzle checks and tried cleaning the printer head - I still couldn't print test pages. I tried fixing the printer on my own, but when I turn it on it says "printer error". i can't do anything on it now. I called my nearest local computer store and asked if they could fix it. I described the program- they said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new printer and they told me I need a new printer. I called Epson for troubleshooting help; I followed the instructions the tech support rep gave me, and I still couldn't get my printer fixed. He said there's a hardware issue with the printer. He said my machine isn't under warranty. I need to either take the printer to a nearby Epson support center and get it fixed, or buy a new printer.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new printer. Should I buy the same model as the one I have or buy a newer model? Someone I know suggested I buy a newer model- the hardware would be up to date.

What would you suggest I do?

I need a working printer. I like having an all-in-one printer. Would that fix the problem?

How do I get the ink cartridges out of the printer?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,127 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

drillersmum85

Fri 25 Dec, 2020 06:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
Not being an 'expert' and only going on personal experience, they now make printers (3 in 1) so cheap that it costs more for the ink replacement cartridges than it does for a new printer.
If you've done enough 'research' you may end up buying a new '3 in 1'.
There are so many brands and types along with assorted various ink replacement cartridges to choose from.

Me? I ended up choosing a HP Laser 3 in 1 (black ink only) that I only use for photocopying. It's not hooked up to a computer. I now only use a Tablet to access the Internet. I selected a laser because, over the years I found that the regular ink cartridges dried out before they were empty. I rarely used it hence the drying out.
At least with the laser it doesn't dry out too rapidly.
There's an internet site .... Whirlpool... that is entirely devoted to 'product reviews'. So now, before I buy anything I check it out first to find out what other people have experienced. Good luck.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 26 Dec, 2020 03:51 am
@JGoldman10,
This is a major problem with new tech, obsolescence.

Your computer is obsolete meaning parts are no longer being made.

Any repair you manage will just kick this problem down the road. You need a new printer or access to a reliable printing service.
jespah

Sat 26 Dec, 2020 08:31 am
@izzythepush,
This^

Best case scenario is probably donating the printer to a nearby school or nonprofit (if they'll take it) and getting a tax write off. And buy a new one.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:20 am
Hello Jespah and Izzy. Thank you for responding. I hope you had a nice Christmas holiday.

I'm going to call Epson back and see what they say. I am going to contact my maternal cousin and my mother's friend- they know more about printers and hardware than I do.

Should I buy a new inkjet printer or a laser one? Are there any laser printers that are good at printing photos?

How do I get the ink out of my printer since it's not working?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:36 am
I don’t know. Isn’t there some website where you can fill out details and get a list most suited to your needs?
JGoldman10

Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:49 am
@izzythepush,
I don't know. I will call Epson and talk to my cousin and my mother's friend. A few people I know said I should get a newer model because the hardware would be more up-to-date.

Someone I know said something inside got damaged since I haven't used the printer in at least a year, and/or that ink caked up inside the printer, or something like that.

I couldn't find anything physically wrong with the printer when I called Epson tech support for troubleshooting help. They said it's a hardware issue.
0 Replies