MOVIES YOU CAN WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:43 am
Well, I thought maybe there was an indian movie on that subject!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:36 pm
my favorite steve Mcqueen movie was "The Rievers",

Ciderhouse, oh yeh,boy id like to watch that now.
Also "The Illustrated man".

Ive gotten rather fond of a rather raunchy comedy Badd(er) santa ,

the other night Its a mad mad mad ... world was left on, Kids never saw it. They were laughing , that felt good cause I thought of it as a guilty pleasure category movie.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
"Mad Mad World. My dad took me to see it when I was 12. We laughed so hard people were shushing us. Jonathan Winters on the tricycle! Ay Ya Yay!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:25 pm
wha happened to the beagle nose of the month panzade?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
When they get older they're just not as cute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:22 pm
Well, now I want to see Cider House Blues..

and madmadmadworld

and I thought of another one today as I heard reggae on the radio..

The Harder They Fall, I have seen that probably three times, although all at the Fox Venice, where it didn't quite count. They had a full schedule of two movies a night forever, always changing, and arranged to make sense together. J and I would go sometimes four times a week. This is a large part of why I keep mentioning all these classic "foreign" - to the US - movies. I saw a whole lot more than I mention, that I liked. Plus scads of Noir, and so on. I did finally get tired of ads for Harold and Maude, though.

I could elevate the Fox Venice to movie sainthood.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:28 pm
"Harder" was a great movie with a superb soundtrack.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:47 pm
I dunno about great movie, in cinematic terms, but I saw it with engagement more than once.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 05:01 am
never saw it. Is that the boxing movie?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:34 am
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" not being seen in the original Cinerama (the first one that was actually 70MM Panavision on a curved screen) somewhat dampens its comedy, especially the final scenes.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:11 am
Watched "Rear Window" last night. For about the 167th time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:14 am
I can watch nearly any Hitchcock film over and over. "Vertigo" still remains at the top.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
The Harder They Come
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:03 am
I've been thinking about what you said osso. You're right, it's not a great movie but with the resources they had available it does shine. Also, I was interested in the music studio scenes and I still play the soundtrack in heavy rotation.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:20 am
hmm. I'd like to see The Harder They Come. I doubt if it's ever going to be shown on TV though.

And speaking of Hitchcock - I watched "Rebecca" for the umpteenth time last night. And something's bothering me. In a scene in the cottage by the sea, while Olivier is explaning the events of his wife's death to Fontaine, he is smoking a cigarette. We see him toss the lit cig, but we don't see where it lands. That little cottage would have been up in smoke before they half finished their conversation. I wonder if Hitchcock was curious as to whether we'd notice that. (lol)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:39 am
Mmmmm, that review in the link helped me remember why I liked The Harder They Come.

It also mentioned Roma, Open City, and Bicycle Thief re movie realism. I don't remember Fellini's Roma very well, except for the middle of the night motorcycle ride through the city, the bikes buzzing around the fountains like hornets...
0 Replies

M0j0

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:31 pm
Groundhog Day
Empire Records
Independance Day
The Saint
Mission:Impossible (1 not 2)
Monty Python's The Holy Grail
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:14 am
Sunday, the Hi Def Network showed "Sunshine," a sort of Hungarian "Gone With the Wind." I printed out A. O. Scott's New York Times review to get more out of seeing this film for the third time. A very impressive film in the class with Visconti's "The Leopard" and Bertolucci's "1900."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:05 pm
Ah, I liked 1900 a lot too; have never seen the movie the Leopard, though I read the book twice. It's fairly short (to me) and the writing is ... lambent.

And now I have to go look up what lambent really means. I use it to say what, that a mood is sustained with the words falling in a particular way, not so as to startle with erudition or beauty, but that one looks back after a few pages to reread a paragraph for pleasure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:09 pm
A case of a film being cinematically as good as the book (considering the difference of the medium). Burt Lancaster's finest performance and just reissued in a restored DVD.

Our shop:

http://www.able2shop.com/buy-B00003CWQL.html

about the film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057091/
0 Replies