MOVIES YOU CAN WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN

beebo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:16 am
Quote:
Witness- cause I live near where the movie was shot.

Hey, farmerman- I must live close to you. My husband is a Dutchman- speaks the language and everything. Mostly, I just hear him cursing- god fa dam si nockomoll ( just spelling what i think I hear)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:20 am
beebo-that phrase is part of a larger sentence in which he is calling someone stupid . nockomoll is probably nach einmal , which is "once again" so the full sentence would have some names in it and mean sort of' Once again you show us how stupid you are". There are 3 other words in there to complete the thought.

Most Pa Dutch swearing that Ive heard is pretty much English cuss words thrown in a German sentence.

I live in the beautiful open area S outh of Strasburg, and Quarryville and nearer the Susquehanna River.

walter hHintler , who lives in Germany has posted some Dutch phrases and its fun to try to translate them.

I see youre a teacher. How are you reacting to all the unfolding stories of corruption in the Lancaster school district, especially the uncontrolled use of the credit cards.

Back to topic , sort of. i am so glad that Bill Murray did n ot get an oscar for Lost In Translation. that movie did really stink.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
It got an oscer for best script?????
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 09:01 am
well, thats Coppolas daughter effect. I still think that movie was unwatchable. (Its just my need for a plot in a movie)
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
farmerman- I live in the Kutztown area - not originally from here & just learning the culture. Very interesting.
In regards to the Lancaster corruption, I am SURE it is just the tip of the iceberg. Surely, the administration has covered up a lot of what is being grossly abused. People thing the mutual fund scandal is bad---- they should really pay attention to where the school administration puts their tax money. Let me state that it is for sure not into my paycheck.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 06:36 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

Blade Runner
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange

hell yes! Adding to the list:
Donnie Darko, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Scarface, Dogma and LA Confidential.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:24 pm
A few off the top of my head:

Latana
Chinatown
Day for Night
All About Eve
My Life As a Dog
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Sons & Lovers (the old B&W)
Sunday Bloody Sunday ...

& heaps more that escape me right now!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:56 am
Olides I revist usuall ever two or three year:

"The Third Man" (what atmosphere and what characters!)

"Touch of Evil" (a wonderful script and a film noir that is truly dark, most of it filmed in Venice, California doubling as a Mexican border town)

"Rebecca" (one of the few Hitchcock studio films but one where he has drawn out performances from his actor that established a benchmark for directors).

"Vertigo" (not only Hitchock's finest but my favorite film, mixing intrigue, a metaphysical atmosphere and Jimmy Stewart's most remarkable performance in film).

"The Haunting" (Robert Wise's horror film without actually showing anything more than things that go bump in the night ratcheted up to a spellbinding level).
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 10:22 am
at the top of my list is Willy Wonka. Yeah, I know its for kids but damn, there is something magical about the story.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
Luc Besson/Eric Serra (The Big Blue..)
Sergio Leone/Ennio Moricone (Once upon a time..)
Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove..)
Bata Zivojinovic/Pavle Vujisic,..Yugo films (Ko to tamo peva, Balkanski spijun,..)
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:10 pm
Groundhog Day
Who is Cletis Tout?
The 5th Element
Shrek
The Ref
The Princess Bride
Meet Joe Black
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Cowboy Bebop the Movie
The sixth sense
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:44 pm
never heard of Cletis Tout
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:28 pm
Me neither. Who is Cletis Tout anyways?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:35 pm
I'd like to know, too! Smile
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 01:09 pm
Watchable movies
I'm nearly three months late with my response, but then I only recently joined...

Up the Down Staircase (definitely superb)
Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Green Card
Repulsion
Night of the Living Dead
Little Women (with Winona Ryder)
The Miracle Worker (the original-- exquisite)
The Haunting (the original with Julie Harris)
East of Eden
The Graduate
Wait Until Dark
The Innocents (shivery, eerie film)
Rosemary's Baby
Accidental Tourist
The Uninvited
Double Indemnity (with Barbara Stanwyck)
Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Play it Again, Sam
Annie Hall
Ordinary People
Dead Poets' Society
Dead of Night
Vertigo
American Graffiti
The Lady Vanishes
Psycho
The Man Who Knew Too Much (with Jimmy Stewart)
Frenzy
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
All About Eve

That will do it-- for now.

ailsa
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 01:12 pm
Groundhog day and the ref...yeah man!
Ailsa , your entire list. WooooHoooo!
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 01:28 pm
Why, thank you
Panzade,

Thank you for that kudo! As you can see, nothing on my list is more recent than the 1980s-- I simply can't stand modern movies: too much violence, profanity, nudity, and sex. I sound square but I'm really not-- I take issue with the above because they're jarring to my sensibilities. (I hate hearing profanity and seeing violence-- as for sex and nudity, I consider these to be highly personal and private!) Also, the scripts are generally lousy... I hope things improve but IMO the state of the film industry is terrible!! (Though I'm sure there are exceptions.)

Cheers!

ailsa
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 01:41 pm
I agree about the 1980's -- it drove Paulene Kael away from reviewing movies. The 90's weren't that hot either but recently we've been treated to some exceptional movies and not always about sex and violence. I think they are beginning to realize they've wrong the dishrag dry on bad movies that are solely about sex and violence. If the sex and violence is part of the integral plot like several of the films you have mentioned above it can be quite rewarding. I do agree that Hollywood in the 80's began to sink into the script with a hook motif and they're dragging themselves out of it only because, for one thing, the Oscars are going to pictures they didn't make. If you saw the Independent Film Awards, there is a lot of hope that films will get better. Your still going to be stuck in the reality that adults don't go to movie all that much and that big screen TV's with Hi Def pictures is not encouraging people to go out and sit in the dark amongst swarming bacteria and viruses (kidding) is not exactly the entertainment event it used to me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:00 pm
BTW, the only film out of your list that I went "Huh?" was "Green Card."
Somehow I can't see it in an otherwise prestigious list (yes, even "Night of the Living Dead").
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
Gaslight
Rosemary's Baby
The Third Man

Chances Are
Casablanca
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone
Psycho
Vertigo
Fantasia
Tea and Sympathy
Animal House
Charade
Body Heat
Cousin, Cuisine- (the original..in French)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Manchurian Candidate
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Play Misty for Me
0 Replies