MOVIES YOU CAN WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
I wasn't crazy about Shipping News either, but for me Kevin Spacey makes the movie. Did you see K-Pax? Loved it!

I loved Ms. Chablis in Midnight. I absolutely thought that was an awesome performance.

Sometimes, for me, it's the actor that makes the movie and not the movie that makes the actor. If I like an actor enough, I can watch the movie over and over again no matter how bad the movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:12 pm
Miss Chablis was at best a tertiary character in the book -- there were even more characters than in the movie.

I actually thought Julianne Moore was the best performance in "The Shipping News," with Judi Dench a close second and Spacey following up as third. It had a marvelous cast.

Kevin Spacey .... Quoyle
Julianne Moore .... Wavey Prowse
Judi Dench .... Agnis Hamm
Cate Blanchett .... Petal
Pete Postlethwaite .... Tert Card
Scott Glenn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:43 pm
The Shipping News , was for me, the atmosphere of Newfoundland. Those slowly receding winters that turn to protracted mud seasons. All through the movie, it was Spacey who gave the only appearance of actually being cold. Watch it again, Pete Postlethwaite acted like hed go out swimming, as did most of the others.

Oh well, its my "movie I could watch over and over" Not all of my choices in this category are even good movies. like "The Searchers" . John Waynes movies, with the exception of a few early ones and Quiet Man, are pretty much phoned in IMHO. But I still liked the vistas in Monument Valley in Searchers.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:23 pm
The Duke? I could watch "The Cowboys" or "The Shootist" over and over. And have. For years. And "Liberty Valance" or my mothers' favorite,"North to Alaska"? I've seen those movies all of my life. Over and over.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:31 pm
eoe,

I love Who Shot Liberty Valance! And I love the song but can't remember who sings it. Do you know?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:40 pm
I remember it but not who sang it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:44 pm
Thanx, eoe.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:11 pm
Girls, wasn't it Gene Pitney that sang Liberty Valence? It seems since he died last week, everywhere I go- in the car, to the shops, the song is playing and even being mentioned here.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:18 pm
You know lezzles, I think you're right about that! I love that song. It's been running around my head since it was mentioned in this thread.

How are you doing?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm
Still breathing, MA!

I've been reading through this thread to see what peoples' favourites are - its such a subjective thing, isn't it - they can be perfectly inane, badly made or whatever movies that strike a chord within you.

I will watch "Stand By Me" over and over again and go through a box of tissues - I've got a soft spot for the innocence of twelve-year-old boys. (Maybe I cry because I know when they hit thirteen they turn into rats - and most stay that way!)

John Wayne movies never go out of style - even though I think the guy was a jerk.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:28 pm
Flipper (1963)
Godzila vs. Mothra (1964)

The deep allegorical undercurrents, and spectacular cinamatogrpghy bear additional fruit with subsequent viewings, and drive home the immense need for all the peoples of the world to see these two magnificent masterpieces of the film maker's art.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:12 am
Well, Chumly, "Flipper" rocks as far as understanding evolution, but "Godzilla vs. Mothra?" On some crazed god, probably a Japanese manifistation, could really create Godzilla and the even more outre Mothra. Definitely not in the book of evolution.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:26 am
Chuckles!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:30 am
I've had large moths fly out of my closet but they all were gay.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:58 pm
I just watched "Bagdad Cafe" on one of the Encore channels. Maybe a little slow for some, but wonderfully daffy characters. I know I'm supposed to mention movies I could see over and over, and I probably did make a list here sometime since 2004 when this thread started. Just thought I'd mention a little artsy fartsy flick in case any one else would like to see it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:00 pm
LW,
I don't much mind if you have to handle moth balls to sate yourself, but if you start claiming rocks should be allowed to marry.........the party's over bud.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:11 pm
The Mothra Martini

Gin, Creme-de-Menthe, Vermouth, garnished with a mothball.

Puts hair on your chest, but unfortunately other places you don't want it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:12 pm
(Some would say an igneous rock should not be allowed to marry a metamorphic rock).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:23 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:03 pm
That would make him rock bottom.
0 Replies