MOVIES YOU CAN WATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
Ailsa , we're gonna prop you in front of some current films with clamps keeping your eyes open like Mcdowell in "A Clockwork Orange" tee hee.

Mystic River
Cold Mountain
Laurel Canyon
That Bill Murray movie directed by Coppola
there's a lot of good stuff...read the reviews...see it in the theatre ..that makes a difference right there.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
Yeesss-- "Laurel Canyon" Sex but not pointless sex -- very much in the "Sex, Lies and Videotape" mold. I can concur, panzade, to follow the critics. Pick the ones who seem to profile your taste and go for it, although you likely won't find the ones they like at the local multiplex. I'm thankful there's still some art houses in OC -- the most charming one is the Lido Theater on the Newport Peninsula (and lots to do afterwards if one wants to party!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:30 pm
Currently playing -- The Newport Beach Film Festival (yes, there are two film festivals behind the Orange Curtain):

LIDO THEATER, NEWPORT BEACH, CA.

(And they still have the black light aquarium on the walls from the 40's!)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
You're one lucky wizard. There are none around here.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:37 pm
No IFC or Sundance on your cable? I also subscribe to NetFlix because you cannot find good independent films at Block Buster. I call it Block Bastard.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:38 pm
Me neither, Mr. Wizard. Too much hassle.

But I second Panz's first of ailsagirl.(sompin like that) The Uninvited was the creepiest movie that I have ever seen, and agreed, they must be originals.

Saw every one on Phoenix's list, but some I wouldn't want to see but once.

Saw one last night for the FIRST time on AMC. Never had seen it before, but it was about a Vampire Slayer...all Brit cast. I had never seen or heard of any one of the stars. Surprisingly good, and quite different.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:42 pm
I don't have a TV so netflix is my source forThree Stooges DVD's. There's an old theater here in a shopping center that shows movies for $2.99. They're usually about a year old. It's a nice diversion
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:43 pm
As far as horror/mystery on alisagirl's list, the original "The Haunting" is really just that -- haunting. Horror without showing monsters, bloody violence. Psychological terror served up by a master. Would be some recent offerings are just blatant expositions of gore and blood with no real substance other than slick and glossy Hollywood cliches. One inparticular that is offered up as an "art film" but is not.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:45 pm
I've simply nodded at most of the picks as I've read through for the past couple of months.

One I appreciated seeing was LW's pick of The Haunting. Loved the implied spookiness that excersised the imagination. LW, wish you could have joined us in SF.

Phoenix, Cousin, Cousine in French was wonderful. Did you see the American version? 'twas pitiful.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:48 pm
I keep watching Shawshank Redemption and I never tire of it. Same with The Usual Suspects and Clockwork Orange
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:48 pm
Quote:
Cousin, Cousine in French was wonderful. Did you see the American version? 'twas pitiful.

No. I loved the French version. The reviews of the English version were so lousy that I didn't bother!
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:24 pm
On second thought...
Whoa! Quite a few responses since I made my post. OK, I'll withdraw "Green Card" from my list-- what made me put it there in the first place is that there were some marvelous scenes, for example:

When the couple undressed and went to bed-- in separate rooms. You hear the primal-sounding music and feel the nearly palpable attraction they had for each other-- she turns over and stares at the door knob and you wonder if it's turning or what. It was very sensual without showing anything.

And I should add that film about the astronauts-- only I can't think of its name!!

ailsa
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:36 pm
The Right Stuff?

These are lists of personal favorites that one never tires of watching again. You don't have to withdraw "Green Card" but considering you might have judged if for a just few memorable scenes, I can probably see why.

I'm not shocked by graphic sexual or violent scenes if they fit in the movie and are not constantly over-the-top. I had trouble with "Kill Bill Volume 1" because of that but the film is inspired in its construction and the dialogue is so pungent and on target that I managed to forgive.

I might have mentioned it before on this thread but "Vertigo" is my favorite film and I can watch in again knowing the ending and still marvel at the genius of Hitchcock. I have just reviewed it on the Portal.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:55 pm
Speaking of Hitchcock, I watch "Notorious" with Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, and Claude Rains whenever it's on TV and never tire of it.

Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum -

How Green Was My Valley, and Wuthering Heights with Olivier and Oberon every time they're on TV.

I've seen "The Third Man" at least four times so I'm giving it a rest.

And too many more to mention here.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:57 pm
Kill Bill was a waste of money. But I'm open for coersion to change my thinking. Certainly doesn't belong in this thread. Was "Fargo" mentioned before?
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:03 pm
Right, "The Right Stuff"
Thanks for refreshing my memory! The thing I most remember about TRS is the scene when they're over Australia and they see all those luminous things-- what, sparks? And that really happened, is my understanding. I would be very much inclined to go to a film that dealt with human issues, or spiritual (not religious) issues. I recall that "The Grand Canyon" had some of that in it.

I'll never, if I live to be 100, get used to seeing naked people on screen-- (in mainstream movies) ***shudder***

(I also liked "Resurrection" with Ellen Burstyn, as well as "Truly, Madly, Deeply".)

ailsa
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:03 pm
You can't judge "Kill Bill" without seeing Volume Two. If you still don't like it, one man's meat is another man's poison. A waste of money would mean the film made no money which it did. And which is not a criteria for pronounding a film good or bad, of course.

"Fargo" and, I might add, "The Hudsucker Proxy," a satirical comedy that actually works. Excuse me but I have to go hula hoop now.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm
(I'd watch "Proxy" again just for the brilliant use of Katchaturian's "Spartacus" and "Gayne" ballet music).
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:09 pm
More movies
Raggedyaggie,

Yes, those are good ones as well. Thanks for mentioning them. Probably I could add practically anything with Cary Grant in it.

Panzade,

I'm not familiar with "Fargo"-- but I have heard of it. Who was in it?

A few more spring to mind:

Being There (a classic)
Walk Don't Run
A Hard Day's Night
The Postman Always Rings Twice (the original)

ailsa
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
LW, I meant it was a waste of my ten bucks.

Fargo had a great cast headed by Frances McDermott. A great Coen Bros movie. Check it out.
0 Replies