I'm an Kansas girl moving to London

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:13 pm
Well I'm a kansas girl and my boyfriend proposed to me and now I'm moving to london well trying to. He lives in london and wants me to move down there, put this into account I am graudating from highschool in May and I'm supposed to move to london after graduating in May and getting married in August.

I have so many questions? One I'm trying to apply to Westminster University if I get accepted I will be studying there, so I don't know with visa to get, should I get the visa for studying or the unmarried partner visa. I'm so confused. My parents won't renew my passport so I have to wait until I'm 18 in august is it possible to get a visa before the end of august. I'm very scared about moving into london, he was telling me that the place he is looking at his very small, I live in a big house so the change will be kinda difficult for me. And my parents (well mom) said if I was to get married or move to england she would disown me as her daughter, I really don't want to leave to move to london knowing my mother will hate me, what should I do?

I don't know what london is like and how the people are. I have heard about how rude some of the people are, but that still hasn't changed my mind. Yes, I'm young but I really have to leave before september of 2013. I really don't know anything about london...help me?

Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:34 pm
@Sukarakuran,
I'm in Kansas, and have friends in England.

your boyfriend, he was over here?

has your mom met him?

this is a kinda big life decision, ya know...
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:38 pm
@Rockhead,
I have seen his parents probably twice, yes is he there. I know my friends and my two sisters are trying to convince not to move there.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:41 pm
@Sukarakuran,
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

but I would suggest you know more about living in England and getting a visa before you make a decision.

If things don't work out, you are a long long way from help.

how long have you lived in Kansas?
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:43 pm
@Rockhead,
I have lived in kansas most of my life
Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:46 pm
@Sukarakuran,
and your boyfriend, he was over here?

as a student?

I'm curious, as we don't get a lot of British folks here.

I would think your mom would be afraid for you if she has not met the young man.

how will you pay for your schooling in England?
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:52 pm
@Rockhead,
yes he was born and still living in london. paying for schooling is hard right now because money is tight where I am at, by I'm trying to get scholarships to help me. I haven't told my mom that I'm engaged
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:54 pm
@Sukarakuran,
Where did you meet your boyfriend?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:55 pm
@Sukarakuran,
but you've already been to London, and met his folks?

I think you should trust your mom enough to discuss this with her.

of course, I've never met your mom. some are better than others...

mine is batshit crazy, for instance.

but doing this all by yourself seems almost too large a task for someone so young...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:55 pm
@Sukarakuran,
What steps has your boyfriend taken to sponsor you? has he looked into what he will need to do to bring you to England and what his legal (including financial) responsibilities will be?
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
He came here to the usa to meet a friend, his friend was actually my cousin so we talked so awhile, it was recently that I found out that he lived in london
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:58 pm
@Sukarakuran,
Sukarakuran wrote:
I don't know what london is like and how the people are. I have heard about how rude some of the people are, but that still hasn't changed my mind. ...

The people are fine. You might be thinking of the French!

I visited England once, and loved it there. I was mostly in the London area. I could live there.

And I'm from Kansas too. Wichita. (Until I moved to AZ a few years ago.)

Why would your mother disown you? It's not like you're moving to Oklahoma!

But as Rockhead said, this is a big decision, and you should probably get a lot more information before you make it.
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
We haven't even talked about sponsoring me yet, we are unsure how the process starts or even how to start it
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:01 pm
@Sukarakuran,
Sukarakuran wrote:
He came here to the usa to meet a friend, his friend was actually my cousin so we talked so awhile, it was recently that I found out that he lived in london

Oh.

You just found out recently that your fiance lives in London.

And you are ready to move there. Without knowing anything about England. Because you are in love with this one random dude.

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Good luck.
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:02 pm
@Rockhead,
I know thats why I'm scared to move on without anyone, its such a big responsible
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:03 pm
@Ticomaya,
He's not a random dude I've known him for years, and become great friends
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:05 pm
@Sukarakuran,
Sukarakuran wrote:
He's not a random dude I've known him for years, and become great friends

And you just recently found out he lives in London ... ?
Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:05 pm
@Ticomaya,
My mom only like certain kind of people and she is super regilious so everything is out the door if he isn't like her
0 Replies

Sukarakuran

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
We never talked about it before until he asked me where I lived and it got so weird after we were talking about the living situation
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 08:09 pm
@Sukarakuran,
You're rushing this too much. If you can't think things through to their realistic conclusion, it means you're not ready. It takes maturity for the "boy" to even suggest marriage when you don't even know what kind of life you'll have for the rest of your life. How is your boyfriend going to support you in London? Does he have a good, secure job?

My suggestion? Don't rush into anything this important.

Your mother might be making the threat to make you think before you leap.

Why can't you both wait a few more years? You're still too young, and haven't had adult experiences to make important decisions quickly.