Romney comments- 47% freeloaders?

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 07:19 am
Mitt Romney's comments about Obama's supporters:
(Obviously copied from web article)

During a private fundraiser earlier this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told a small group of wealthy contributors what he truly thinks of all the voters who support President Barack Obama. He dismissed these Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, who don't assume responsibility for their lives, and who think government should take care of them. Fielding a question from a donor about how he could triumph in November, Romney replied:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.
Romney went on: "[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

----------------------------

I'm an Obama supporter and take offense at this attitude. I've been working for almost 40 years and have paid taxes every year. Usually at a much higher rate than 15%. We can argue about the facts of this issue for weeks, but the crux of these statements is this- Romney and many republicans see half our country as freeloaders and I just don't see it. I don't get where the 47% number comes from. Are they people who are on Soc Sec? Money comes from the govt. But that is taxed, right? And they paid into it for years. Military? That's govt support? Isn't that taxed? The military folks certainly earn their income. Who are these 47% people?

Look at all the people you know. Identify how many pay taxes. Is that only half of them? How many people on this board pay taxes? Only half ?

I just don't believe the number, and it promotes the idea that half the people in our country don't contribute and I don't believe that. Most of the people I see in my daily life are contributing, working at McDonalds for min. wage, working on the highway so my drive is easier, sitting in the office with me working just as hard as I am, talking on TV making a hell of a lot more than me, and likely paying a lot in taxes.

This idea that there is this huge welfare class that is holding us all back is bull ****.

Maybe the 47% includes children under 21?

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:01 am
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/killing-bush-tax-cuts-for-middle-class.html

This seems to have gotten viral quickly.

May be a big influence, 47% are a lot of voters.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:51 am
@IRFRANK,
The amusing element here is that we do not know if Romney is one of those freeloaders as he will not released his tax returns for most of the past 10 years.

In fact when I hear him claiming he had paid taxes during those years in question I never hear him stated he had paid Federal income tax just taxes.

All in all a real piece of work.......

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 11:26 am
I thought this article did a good job including a picture that sums it up:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/where-are-the-47-of-americans-who-pay-no-income-taxes/262499/
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/politics/nonpayers.banner.taxfound.jpg
RABEL222

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 11:38 am
Have worked 60 years from the time I was 10 years old to the time i was 70. I Have paid income tax and soc. sec. tax for most of those years at an average of 18%. I guess I am one of the free loaders since I dont have oversea accounts or pay less than 13% in taxes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 11:41 am
Good comment on Facebook: If Romney is contemptuous of 47% of Americans, he doesn't understand the job description.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 11:41 am
Did he mention the corporate freeloaders, or just the little guys?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 11:44 am
Looking at that map, it seems to me that this is not an issue. Most of the
non-payers are in states likely to vote Republican no matter what Mitt says.
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 12:28 pm
@George,
Not really -- Florida especially is definitely in play and would be a big loss for him.

edit: TPM poll tracker for Florida -- currently Obama has a narrow lead:

http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo.com/contests/fl-president-12
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 01:41 pm
@Green Witch,
Interesting. Most of the 10 states are in the SE - where low income jobs have been protected and education has not been promoted. I will admit that has changed somewhat in the last 10-20 years.

I can't wait to see the polls a few days after all of this came out.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 02:11 pm
@IRFRANK,
I have already left this image twice (maybe 3 times) on the Romney thread, but it answers your question.

Quote:
46.4% of Households Paid No Federal Income Tax for 2011

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/images/Breakdown1-06-17-11_1.gif

But Nearly Two-Thirds of Households
That Paid No Income Tax Paid Payroll Taxes

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/images/Breakdown2-06-17-11.gif

Who Paid Neither Income Nor Payroll Taxes?
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/images/Breakdown3-06-17-11.gif
source
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 02:49 pm
Wasn't he talking in context of the percentage of Americans that will just vote for Obama, since they like the fact that they are in a category that does not pay taxes, and the fear being that a Republican might think that they should pay something?

Regardless, isn't it amazing that this country can live off of the taxes of just 53% of the citizens? And, the Democrats think the wealthy should pay more. Perhaps, the 47% should just get a stipend, like royalty. Doesn't it just sadden you that 47% of the country might not be able to consume as many consumables as the slighty larger 53%? Like there are people in this country that cannot buy the size flat screen tv they would prefer. Can this be happening in our bountiful land?
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 02:59 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Regardless, isn't it amazing that this country can live off of the taxes of just 53% of the citizens?

Given that the top two percents or so have more of the total wealth of this society then the bottom fifty percents in total no it is not amazing at all.
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:08 pm
@BillRM,
It's also just not true. The 47% figure is people who are not currently paying income taxes. Most of them are working and pay payroll tax. (Starting at about 13% from the first dollar.) Not to mention sales taxes et al.

Revelette's charts above pretty say it all.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:12 pm
@Foofie,
No he wasn't just talking about how many people likely will vote democrat. He was talking about how many people don't pay income taxes and how he would never get their vote because they are dependent on the government. Most of the red states have a higher percentage rate of welfare recipients. Morever, of that 47% who don't pay income tax, 28% pay payroll taxes, 10.3% are elderley and 6.9% make less than 20,000 a year. Some are even millionairs.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:25 pm
To back up what I said about some are millionairs.
Buffett Rule Rorschach: 7,000 Millionaires Paid No Income Taxes in 2011

Why are so few people paying income taxes?

Quote:
The short answer is: deductions and poverty. About half of households within that 47 percent do not end up paying federal income tax because they qualify for enough breaks to cancel their tax obligations out. Of that group, 44 percent are claiming tax benefits for the elderly, like an exemption for Social Security payments. And 30.4 percent are claiming credits for “children and the working poor,” like the child-care tax credit. The remainder get breaks for investment income, spending on education, itemized deductions, and a mish-mash of other things. When combined, it’s all enough to cancel out their income tax requirements.

In short, it is not that they are not paying their taxes. It is that the country’s tax structure lets them off the hook. Indeed, you can draw a straight line between the Bush tax cuts and the growing number of households exempted from income tax. For instance, the 2001 cuts, extended under the Obama administration, doubled the child tax credit from $500 to $1,000 and expanded eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit among married taxpayers. Additionally, the Bush tax cuts lowered income taxes in every bracket, making it easier for a household’s liability to get fully offset by deductions and credits. And on top of all that, the stimulus bill introduced a host of further tax cuts.

That covers about half of the households that don’t pay any federal income taxes. The other half of households are just too poor to pay them. The Tax Policy Center provides a handy example: A couple with two children earning less than $26,400 per year pays no income tax if it takes standard deductions and common exemptions, for instance. “The basic structure of the income tax simply exempts subsistence levels of income from tax,” TPC’s Roberton Williams writes.

That pool of too-poor households has grown much bigger because of the recession and its aftermath: Average incomes have kept on declining even though the recession has officially ended, and millions of households have lost one or both of their wage-earners. Households are earning about 10 percent less than they did in 2007. About 12 percent of families live in poverty. That means a lot of folks simply aren’t eligible for income tax.

So what of the claim that the 53 percent are subsidizing the 99 percent? Well, just because 47 percent of households do not pay federal income tax does not mean that they do not pay any federal taxes. Indeed, almost everyone pays some: There are federal taxes for Social Security and Medicare, on gas, alcohol, and cigarettes. Plus, there are also state and local taxes, and property taxes. You’d have to be freegan to escape paying any tax at all.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:24 pm
Looks like a good answer to me. Truth is hard to take I suppose.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:54 pm
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422904_349505331805602_1331718048_n.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 07:14 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
During a private fundraiser earlier this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told a small group of wealthy contributors what he truly thinks of all the voters who support President Barack Obama. He dismissed these Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, who don't assume responsibility for their lives, and who think government should take care of them.

Just came across this on Twitter.
A link to filmed discussions at that dinner party, courtesy of Mother Jones.
Posting it here for your interest. (His comment on foreign policy were pretty interesting, too!)
(I always wondered what went on at those fund-raisers, the conversations, what was actually said Wink :

Quote:
Romney went on: "[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Mother Jones has obtained video of Romney at this intimate fundraiser—where he candidly discussed his campaign strategy and foreign policy ideas in stark terms he does not use in public—and has confirmed its authenticity. To protect the confidential source who provided the video, we have blurred some of the image, and we will not identify the date or location of the event, which occurred after Romney had clinched the Republican presidential nomination.
[UPDATE: We can now report that this fundraiser was held at the Boca Raton home of controversial private equity manager Marc Leder on May 17 and we've removed the blurring from the video. See the original blurred videos here.]

SECRET VIDEO: Romney Tells Millionaire Donors What He REALLY Thinks of Obama Voters:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 07:51 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Looks like a good answer to me. Truth is hard to take I suppose.

<guffaw>

Then you a) didn't actually read it, b) didn't actually understand it, or c) are a partisan hack.