The Republican Convention

gungasnake

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:02 pm
Anybody watching this convention has seen an unbelievable display of talent and speech making entirely worthy of ancient Athens. Paul Ryan's speech in particular was beyond brilliant. One phrase sticks in my mind particularly;

Quote:
Obama's presidency, like a ship trying to sail on yesterday's wind...

That's as good as it gets, Pushkin or Shakespeare would be hard pressed to top it.

This is arguably the best ticket the GOP has ever put together and they'll be running against the worst ticket the dems ever have. If the nation were entirely rational, Obunga and Biden wouldn't get a single electoral vote.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:04 pm
@farmerman,
So what?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:05 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Anybody watching this convention has seen an unbelievable display of talent and speech making entirely worthy of ancient Athens.

That doesn't say much about ancient Athens, then....

Please send us all some of what you've been smoking.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:28 am
If Romney's goal was to make him seem more like-able and human, I think his speech last night was the best one he has given all season. If his goal was to lay out how he is going to "restore" America (restore it to the Bush years?) then he failed big time because he offered no information on how he would do it.

As far as Eastwood, I wish he stayed home. I have always liked Eastwood. My favorite movie as a kid believe it or not was "Hang em' high." I still watch his old western movies but not crazy about the Dirty Harry ones. But talking to an empty chair in a political convention on prime time TV? Bizarre.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:43 am
Zero policy details from Romney whatsoever, just a bunch of empty promises and platitudes. Not an impressive speech. And what's up with his lip-licking twitch? Needs to be coached to get over that.

The Eastwood thing was just bizarre. I can't believe it had a positive effect with anyone watching.

All in all, not a bad effort, but no home run.

Cycloptichorn
Foofie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:58 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

That's the delicious thing about all Finn's thrashing about. When all's said and done, he's still stuck with having to defend a sack 'o **** like Romney.

You are talking some sort of Southern colloquial banter? What exactly is a "sack 'o ****"?

Also, in your opinion, what really makes such a high percentage of African-Americans vote for Obama? Is it really his envisioned programs and not his complexion? Assuming that is correct, then why when a caucasoid votes for the non-African American candidate it is often claimed that a non-Obama vote is based on Obama's complexion, and not on Obama's envisioned programs?

In effect, why can't many caucasoids just be more oriented towards a less "sharing" vision of America, and more towards a "keep what you earn" mentality, without bringing in complexion as a rationale? And, please don't explain it as Democrats caring for the downtrodden in the country. That too can be a "sack o' ****," based on all the bailouts a few years ago.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:02 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Anybody watching this convention has seen an unbelievable display of talent and speech making entirely worthy of ancient Athens. Paul Ryan's speech in particular was beyond brilliant. One phrase sticks in my mind particularly;

Quote:
Obama's presidency, like a ship trying to sail on yesterday's wind...

That's as good as it gets, Pushkin or Shakespeare would be hard pressed to top it.

This is arguably the best ticket the GOP has ever put together and they'll be running against the worst ticket the dems ever have. If the nation were entirely rational, Obunga and Biden wouldn't get a single electoral vote.

The "red" states are rational. In my opinion, the "blue" states are maudlin and suffering from misplaced collective guilt over those in society that cannot compete in today's society.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Eastwood thing was just bizarre. I can't believe it had a positive effect with anyone watching.

It's been picked up as an Internet meme, though. "Eastwooding:" talking to an empty chair.

I love Eastwood as a director and an actor... this is proof that he shouldn't perform unscripted.
sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:21 am
@DrewDad,
Plus "Invisible Obama."

As in:

Ryan Lizza interviewing Invisible Obama:
http://p.twimg.com/A1mZQjFCIAAQ_E3.jpg

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e201761787f773970c-550wi

Quote:
Exclusive: The Obama family stops by @BuzzFeed's workspace at #RNC2012. pic.twitter.com/KYddWyFh

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A1mf5T0CcAAkc-j.jpg

Invisible Obama wrote:
Invisible Obama@InvisibleObama
Oh no my visible self didn't! RT @BarackObama: This seat's taken. OFA.BO/c2gbfi , pic.twitter.com/mYs5s6Bs

http://p.twimg.com/A1mY4mRCAAM_qwX.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:25 am
@sozobe,
How do we know that's really Obama's chair?

Where's the chair certificate?
revelette

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:49 am
Quote:
“I think we’re in the bubble and we criticize the choreography,” admitted “Meet the Press” host David Gregory. “This is the exception. Here we are at six [a.m.] talking about the distraction. That is not what Mitt Romney wanted.”

Watching Ann Romney during the Eastwood address, according to NPR political correspondent Mara Liasson, was like watching “the mother of the bride listening to a drunken wedding toast.”

source

0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

How do we know that's really Obama's chair?

Where's the chair certificate?

Yeah, and it looks foreign, like some kind of African Blackwood or Hawaiian Koa. Americans deserve a good Oak or Birch.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:56 pm
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/574464_475604982457821_1139726922_n.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:21 pm
http://www.usnews.com/pubdbimages/image/36128/EC_12094_horsey_OP315x238.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2012/08/31/11/28/1rnDG8.SlMa.91.jpeg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:00 pm
Still laughing about Ryan's quote of Obama saying that a government that let that auto factory close would be 'letting you down' and then smirkingly, 'two months later that factory was closed for good'. Not mentioning that it was a Bush Repub govt that let it close.

Freaking hilarious. If you're in another country. Gobsmacking if you're not.
firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:06 pm
@hingehead,
http://punzhupuzzles.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/editorial-cartoon-rpv2012-ryan.jpg%3Fw%3D584
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 06:52 am
Did you know there is only one satellite TV provider in Australia, Foxtel, owned by Rupert - it swallowed competitor Austar a couple of months ago. Anyway I watch The Daily Show on the Comedy Channel via Foxtel.

The Daily Show is usually recorded/broadcast Mon to Thurs around 11pm I gather, we get it here 7pm Tues to Friday. But this week to align to the RNC it broadcast from the US from Tues to Friday, which logically meant we should get it Wednesday to Saturday in Oz, but for some reason they didn't show the final RNC episode tonight.

Thanks to Twitter I get to see a juicy bit on Eastwooding (and for a change fellow unUSians can also watch because it's not on the Daily Show site which prevents Ozzians, at least, from watching video of the show). Sadly no transcript for Soz.

Awesome!

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-basks-in-the-glory-of-clint-eastwoods-awesome-speech-while-tearing-apart-romneys/
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 09:11 am
Quote:
After GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan made a speech at the RNC that was so full of lies even Fox News couldn't ignore it, Stephen Colbert was ready to defend him from the "lamestream nit-pick patrol" we call the media.

On Thursday night's "Report," Colbert went over the most contentious parts of Ryan's speech, like the story he told about a GM factory closing due to President Obama, when it really happened under George W. Bush. He also lauded CNN for taking the right approach to covering the speech (which would be ignoring all of the mistakes).

But it was Colbert's analogy for Ryan that was the highlight of the segment. He pointed out how that just like in a real race, you sometimes have to cheat to win. In Paul Ryan's case, if he wins the race, it's logic that loses.

"Ryan stretching the truth to make his speech more effective is just another form of doping... In that if you believe him, you are a dope," Colbert joked.

Watch the full segment here
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 08:24 pm
With the focus of the media now gearing up for the democrat convention, I wonder if there will be the same amount of security that there was for the repubs convention.
And if there is, will the press lay as much attention to that as they did for the repubs convention. I hope there will be no violence there, but is it wrong for the police to show a massive display of force to prevent trouble, or is it asking for trouble?
It seems that the display of force, combined with so few protesters, actually prevented trouble in Tampa.
I hope the same holds true in Charlotte, but the weather is predicted to be nicer there than it was in Tampa, so we shall see.