Is free-will an illusion?

Briancrc

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:35 am
@layman,
Quote:
what difference does that make? Chomsky basically demonstrates that the hypothesis is an absurd one IF one attempts to use it to provide an "accomplished explanation."

layman, I feel that I have already responded to this and do not want to just repeat myself. Chomsky made no demonstrations. He presented no data in his critique. Skinner and Darwin developed theories of evolution (relative to behavior and relative to the species, respectively). Their works spawned pursuits of empirical evidence, the results of which led to bodies of research that supported their core ideas. The core ideas have been substantiated in both cases (even though there are large numbers of people who reject behaviorism or who reject evolution). This just means that more work needs to be done to effectively communicate the findings of the disciplines. The work published in The Analysis of Verbal Behavior and elsewhere has been repeatedly demonstrating the various functional relationships of language, that there are distinct operants (as was hypothesized), and which have actually led to effective treatments for people who need help in speech and language. If one wants to refute the work, either methodologically or epistemologically, then we should just look at some demonstrations (with data) and make some judgements about the the methodology and conclusions drawn. IMHO, I think that would be much more constructive and meaningful than remaining at the level of philosophical argument.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:05 am
@Briancrc,
You ppl give a big deal talking about Chomsky...its irrelevant to the matter at this stage in the debate. You guys are jumping ahead central pillars that need proper addressing. I rather ppl direct their efforts to the core problem and the inherent contradictions classically described to free willing.

1 - Free will both requires determinism for agency to operate while trying to disprove it when we go past the agency level. Lacks internal consistency.

2 - Free will begs the question of a not unified primary substance operating in the world. Its divisive for a proper meaningful use of Physics as we know it. It disrupts mechanical explanation...

These two points would be a good start for anyone wanting to make a case for or against it. I can't recall anyone but me to have touch them yet. One has to wonder on what's the use of so many Wiki quotations and technical debate when the meat of the problem is clearly not understood or left out for lack of actual understanding on what is at stake here...
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:32 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
He presented no data in his critique...[Darwin and Skinner] spawned pursuits of empirical evidence, the results of which led to bodies of research that supported their core ideas

Brian, my position is that anyone who thinks these issues are, at their core, about "data" or "empirical evidence" simply misconstrue the nature of the problem and are looking for "solutions" in the wrong places.

Underlying the differing views, at bottom, are philosophical differences pertaining to a posited ontology, epistemology, etc. Those differences get automatically incorporated into the conclusions (made by either side) drawn from "data." Experiments, standing alone, do not, and can not, produce "conclusions." Only rational analysis, based on some set of assumptions or another, can do that.

Those who insist that "experiments" confirm their philosophical biases often do not take the time to critically analyze their fundamental assumptions. When they do undertake such an analysis, then they are forced to admit that "logic" does not supply any new information or have anything whatsoever to do with "empirical truth." Logical "conclusions" are contained in the premises.
Briancrc

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I do not have much to say about premises from the position of physics or neurology because I am not a neurologist or physicist. I am comfortable discussing accounts from a science of behavior perspective because that is my background. Early in the development of the experimental analysis of behavior (post Watson, Thorndike, Pavlov) were explanations given for an organism's behavior. They were not S-R explanations as they were with some of the earlier theorists. They were based on selection by consequences. They paralleled the theory of evolution giving accounts from the environment to the organism. After demonstrations of the theory were well demonstrated for mechanical actions, the argument and subsequent demonstrations occurred with verbal behavior.

Giving credit to the environment was viewed as taking credit away from the person, as was the view that a development of species through natural selection took credit away from God. These views, of course, have caused much concern and debate. But rather than look at the data and try to account for it differently, there has been massive energy dedicated to non-scientific refutations. I have little more than a passing interest in some of the philosophical arguments.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:01 am
@layman,
Quote:
... "logic" does not supply any new information or have anything whatsoever to do with "empirical truth." Logical "conclusions" are contained in the premises.

To quote Einstein on a related topic:

Quote:
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:16 am
@Olivier5,
There is plenty of reason to be skeptical, and insufficient reason to delare certainty for either side. Free won't is just Libet's post hoc rationalization; he didn't do any experiment specifically for that. Also, the abstract that you re-posted only shows that both the decision to act and the decision not to act have measurable precursors in subliminal brain activity. Like you say, they are both decisions. Lastly, you're ignoring Haynes' work that corroborates Libet's. I see plenty of reasons to remain unconvinced of either pro or con. I'll keep my eyes peeled for further experimental developments. I won't be participating in rhetorical back-and-forth, though. That's been going on for many years without much in the way of resolution.
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:19 am
Because Chomsky realized that verbal behavior could not be explained on the basis of stimulus/response/reinforcement alone, he opined that verbal skills were "innate." This position has itself rightfully been subjected to a lot of criticism.

There's really nothing new here. Thousands of years ago, in a dialogue called "Meno," Plato did the same thing. He first assumed that nothing can be known except though "empirical experience." Finding that experience was inadequate to explain our ability to conceptualize, he then propounded his "theory of reminiscence."

Basically his theory was that, when conceptualizing, people were only "remembering" things they had learned, via experience, but had forgotten.
What "experience" were they supposedly remembering? Their pre-birth experiences in the realm of "perfect forms," he opined.

He retained his basic premise (that we can only "know" things via experience) but, in order to do so, he was compelled to invent a fictitious "place" where the prior learning was done.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:50 am
@Briancrc,
I made the following observation many pages back:

Quote:
There are other areas of this debate where personal "belief" seems to direct the discussion. There is an acknowledged category of informal logical fallacies that is commonly referred to as "arguments from personal incredulity." The idea is along the lines of: You haven't convinced me that you are right, therefore you are wrong."

Quite a convenient approach to take, eh? If you can't prove me wrong (to my satisfaction), then I am right. By that standard millions of people holding diametrically-opposed opinions on a topic would ALL be right.

MacCorquodale, who Brian cites, claims that:

Quote:
Chomsky had no data to disprove the thesis of Verbal Behavior, nor does he yet....Chomsky showed no such thing; he merely asserted it

I can not agree that Chomsky "merely asserted" his conclusions. He made some quite persuasive arguments in support of his conclusions, if you ask me. But let's leave that aside and just look at the first part of MacCorquodale's claim.

Did Chomksy "disprove" Skinner's "hypothesis." Certainly not to Skinner's student, MacCorquodale's, satisfaction. But, likewise, Skinner did not "disprove" Chomsky's hypothesis either. These matters are simply not subject to strict empirical disproof, whichever position you take.

For this reason the old "arguments from personal incredulity" invariably arise. They have to. A matter of "fact" is not even being debated. What's at issue is the adherence to different "beliefs."

0 Replies

Briancrc

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 09:03 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I think Dawkins made a good point when he recounted the challenge that Darwin faced when looking at the length of time needed for speciation when put in the context of the age of the universe as estimated by Lord Kelvin. Kelvin thought the universe was about 20 million years old because he worked from the premise that the sun was doing some sort of combustion; he used thermal gradients. There was no knowledge of radioactivity at the time. Dawkins' point was that Darwin could have said that if your physics tells you that the age of the earth is 20 million years, then your physics is wrong.

The information from operant conditioning is less than a 100 years old. It is not well known or understood. Time took care of the age of the sun issue, and I suspect so too will the science of behavior correct the misunderstandings of human behavior developed from times that did not have the tools of this science.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 09:05 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
He presented no data in his critique...[Darwin and Skinner] spawned pursuits of empirical evidence, the results of which led to bodies of research that supported their core ideas

Brian, my position is that anyone who thinks these issues are, at their core, about "data" or "empirical evidence" simply misconstrue the nature of the problem and are looking for "solutions" in the wrong places.

Underlying the differing views, at bottom, are philosophical differences pertaining to a posited ontology, epistemology, etc. Those differences get automatically incorporated into the conclusions (made by either side) drawn from "data." Experiments, standing alone, do not, and can not, produce "conclusions." Only rational analysis, based on some set of assumptions or another, can do that.

Those who insist that "experiments" confirm their philosophical biases often do not take the time to critically analyze their fundamental assumptions. When they do undertake such an analysis, then they are forced to admit that "logic" does not supply any new information or have anything whatsoever to do with "empirical truth." Logical "conclusions" are contained in the premises.

On this we fully agree as that was exactly the point I was making when I replied to him...the direction the debate has taken is a side step to the meat of the problem at hand and of little interest to say the best.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 09:10 am
@FBM,
No resolution ? That's political talk from the likes as Dennet with "soft determinism"...
Notice that even the "creme de la creme" top notch free will defenders on the "market" Like Daniel Dennet bluntly admit people cannot chose otherwise...and as far as talking to Olivier is concerned this is enough to trash down his entire naive pov.
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 09:27 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Brian says:

Quote:
I have little more than a passing interest in some of the philosophical arguments.

You say:

Quote:
the direction the debate has taken is a side step to the meat of the problem at hand and of little interest to say the best.

Which leads me to ask: What "determines" the topics that one finds "interesting?" Fate?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:52 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
The information from operant conditioning is less than a 100 years old. It is not well known or understood. and I suspect..the science of behavior correct [will] the misunderstandings of human behavior developed from times that did not have the tools of this science.

Like many others, you seem to have "faith," Brian. Of course not everyone has faith in the same things.

Why do you believe that there are "misunderstandings" to be "corrected" by the "science of behavior" if "the information from operant conditioning is... not well known or understood?"
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:53 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

There is plenty of reason to be skeptical, and insufficient reason to delare certainty for either side.

That's YOUR conclusion. Mine is that there is enough empirical data to venture a few hypothesis. Some of yhese are coherent with our human experience of choice, others are not. I prefer to stick to the former.

Quote:
Free won't is just Libet's post hoc rationalization; he didn't do any experiment specifically for that.

Libet understood his own experiment as indicative of a form of free will ('free won't"). Wether he stsrted there or not is irrelevant.

Quote:

Also, the abstract that you re-posted only shows that both the decision to act and the decision not to act have measurable precursors in subliminal brain activity. Like you say, they are both decisions.

There is no evidence that the mental activity 'seen' on Libet' encephalograms, that comes a few tenths of a second before the 'decision awareness time' (W), is necessarily subconscious

Quote:

Lastly, you're ignoring Haynes' work that corroborates Libet's.

I'll come to it...

Quote:
I'll keep my eyes peeled for further experimental developments. I won't be participating in rhetorical back-and-forth, though. That's been going on for many years without much in the way of resolution.

We've made progress I think. We know that minds exist more certainly than behaviors and things; that behaviorism cannot account for complex verbal communication (discourse); and that science itself is a discourse, based on a faith in human reason to make sense of the world, and thus on the assumption of human
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 11:01 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
There is no evidence that the mental activity 'seen' on Libet' encephalograms, that comes a few tenths of a second before the 'decision awareness time' (W), is necessarily subconscious

Or that it is indicative of "the time at which a decision is made," eh? The act of slipping on your brass knuckles may always precede the act of bashing some punk's face, but that doesn't show that you have already made the decision to do it. You are, of course, preparing to do it, if you decide to.

No one has responded to a question I posed earlier. If "we" don't make decisions about if and when to a move a finger voluntarily, who/what does? The brain? Was "the brain" forced to make the decision it did? If so, by who/what?

Slapping the nebulous label of "subconscious" on an action doesn't answer the questions. It just tries to push them down some hypothetical notch.
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 11:25 am
@layman,
Quote:
If "we" don't make decisions about if and when to a move a finger voluntarily, who/what does?

Too late to edit that last post. I didn't phrase this question quite the way I intended. By "voluntarily" I just meant a finger movement that is not "instinctive" or "accidental." but one that is intended, for one purpose or another. Voluntary as opposed to "involuntary," like the ones in Libet's experiments, ya know?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 12:47 pm
@Olivier5,
human... agency!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 01:04 pm
@Olivier5,
I just typed this sentence, all subconsciously.

By my count, that's about 40 keystrokes, and I had no pre-awareness that I made any of them. I didn't "choose" to make them. Just a coincidence that they somehow end up saying what I intended to say, eh?

Oh, wait...I didn't intend to say anything. But my "brain" did, so, I'm good, I figure.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:23 pm
http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(10)01082-2

Quote:
Internally Generated Preactivation of Single Neurons in Human Medial Frontal Cortex Predicts Volition
Itzhak Friedcorrespondenceemail, Roy Mukamel, Gabriel Kreiman

Highlights
Progressive changes in firing rates precede self-initiated movements
Medial frontal cortex units signal volition onset before subjects' awareness
Prediction level is high (90%) based on neuronal responses in single trials
Volition could arise from accumulation of ensemble activity crossing a threshold
Summary
Understanding how self-initiated behavior is encoded by neuronal circuits in the human brain remains elusive. We recorded the activity of 1019 neurons while twelve subjects performed self-initiated finger movement. We report progressive neuronal recruitment over ∼1500 ms before subjects report making the decision to move. We observed progressive increase or decrease in neuronal firing rate, particularly in the supplementary motor area (SMA), as the reported time of decision was approached. A population of 256 SMA neurons is sufficient to predict in single trials the impending decision to move with accuracy greater than 80% already 700 ms prior to subjects' awareness. Furthermore, we predict, with a precision of a few hundred ms, the actual time point of this voluntary decision to move. We implement a computational model whereby volition emerges once a change in internally generated firing rate of neuronal assemblies crosses a threshold.

Accepted: November 23, 2010;
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16876476

Quote:
What is the Bereitschaftspotential?
Shibasaki H1, Hallett M.

Abstract
Since discovery of the slow negative electroencephalographic (EEG) activity preceding self-initiated movement by Kornhuber and Deecke [Kornhuber HH, Deecke L. Hirnpotentialänderungen bei Willkurbewegungen und passiven Bewegungen des Menschen: Bereitschaftspotential und reafferente Potentiale. Pflugers Archiv 1965;284:1-17], various source localization techniques in normal subjects and epicortical recording in epilepsy patients have disclosed the generator mechanisms of each identifiable component of movement-related cortical potentials (MRCPs) to some extent. The initial slow segment of BP, called 'early BP' in this article, begins about 2 s before the movement onset in the pre-supplementary motor area (pre-SMA) with no site-specificity and in the SMA proper according to the somatotopic organization, and shortly thereafter in the lateral premotor cortex bilaterally with relatively clear somatotopy. About 400 ms before the movement onset, the steeper negative slope, called 'late BP' in this article (also referred to as NS'), occurs in the contralateral primary motor cortex (M1) and lateral premotor cortex with precise somatotopy. These two phases of BP are differentially influenced by various factors, especially by complexity of the movement which enhances only the late BP. Event-related desynchronization (ERD) of beta frequency EEG band before self-initiated movements shows a different temporospatial pattern from that of the BP, suggesting different neuronal mechanisms for the two. BP has been applied for investigating pathophysiology of various movement disorders. Volitional motor inhibition or muscle relaxation is preceded by BP quite similar to that preceding voluntary muscle contraction. Since BP of typical waveforms and temporospatial pattern does not occur before organic involuntary movements, BP is used for detecting the participation of the 'voluntary motor system' in the generation of apparently involuntary movements in patients with psychogenic movement disorders. In view of Libet et al.'s report [Libet B, Gleason CA, Wright EW, Pearl DK. Time of conscious intention to act in relation to onset of cerebral activity (readiness-potential). The unconscious initiation of a freely voluntary act. Brain 1983;106:623-642] that the awareness of intention to move occurred much later than the onset of BP, the early BP might reflect, physiologically, slowly increasing cortical excitability and, behaviorally, subconscious readiness for the forthcoming movement. Whether the late BP reflects conscious preparation for intended movement or not remains to be clarified.
FBM

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:28 pm
http://io9.com/5975778/scientific-evidence-that-you-probably-dont-have-free-will

Quote:
Scientific evidence that you probably don’t have free will

George Dvorsky
Filed to: DAILY EXPLAINER1/14/13 2:41pm

But subsequent experiments by Benjamin Libet in the 1980s reinforced the pioneering work of Kornhuber and Deecke. Similarly, Libet had his participants move their fingers, but this time while watching a clock with a dot circling around it. His data showed that the readiness potential started about 0.35 seconds earlier than participants' reported conscious awareness.

He concluded that we have no free will as far as the initiation of our movements are concerned, but that we had a kind of cognitive "veto" to prevent the movement at the last moment; we can't start it, but we can stop it.

From a neurological perspective, Libet and others attributed the effect to the SMA/pre-SMA and the anterior cingulate motor areas of the brain — an area that allows us to focus on self-initiated actions and execute self-instigated movements.

Modern tools show the same thing

More recently, neuroscientists have used more advanced technologies to study this phenomenon, namely fMRIs and implanted electrodes. But if anything, these new experiments show the BP effect is even more pronounced than previously thought.

In another study, neuroscientist Itzhak Fried put aside the fMRI scanner in favor of digging directly into the brain (so to speak). To that end, he implanted electrodes into the brains of participants in order to record the status of individual neurons — a procedure that gave him an incredibly precise sense of what was going on inside the brain as decisions were being made.

His experiment showed that the neurons lit up with activity as much as 1.5 seconds before the participant made a conscious decision to press a button. And with about 700 milliseconds to go, Fried and his team could predict the timing of decisions with nearly 80% accuracy. In some scenarios, he had as much as 90% predictive accuracy.

And in yet another study, this one by Stefan Bode, his detailed fMRI experiments showed that it was possible to actually decode the outcome of free decisions for several seconds prior to it reaching conscious awareness.

Specifically, he discovered that activity patterns in the anterior frontopolar cortex (BA 10) were temporally the first to carry information related to decision-making, thus making it a prime candidate region for the unconscious generation of free decisions. His study put much of the concern about the integrity of previous experiments to rest.