Is free-will an illusion?

layman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:54 pm
There is an analysis of an "argument" technique employed on the internet which goes something like this:

1. Proclaim yourself to be an EXPERT.
2. Dismiss any presentation of differing opinion held by true experts as "quote-mining."
3. Tell your opponent how ignorant they are.
4. Proclaim absolute and total victory, LOUDLY. (The louder and the more unqualified, the better. The "crowd" who agrees with your position likes that).

Hmmm, where have I seen this before?
Briancrc

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:17 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Did this author (or any other that you're aware of) even begin to claim, as you loudly do, Brian, that Chomsky was "COMPLETELY WRONG!!"?

Yes...long before I read Chomsky's paper. The conclusion of this paper even touch upon some of the questions you posed earlier http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1333660/pdf/jeabehav00145-0085.pdf

However, from the paper you reviewed, the authors also make this note
Quote:
The procedures of this study produced a number of behaviors that may be considered analogous to generative verbal behavior. One set of analogs has been presented here as examples, however, other kinds of verbal behavior, and perhaps other types of behavior, also may be analogous to the relations found in the study. Most importantly, however, the results of this research indicate that behavior analytic procedures can be combined to produce behavior that has often been considered beyond the scope of behavioral principles (Chomsky, 1959).

The Chase study used one model based on mathematics (i.e., equivalence) to show generative behavior. Other studies have used different models
Quote:
These observations have been suggested and supported by a variety of empirical work on stimulus equivalence (e.g., Sidman & Tailby, 1982), relational frames (e.g., Roche & Barnes, 1997), transfer (e.g., Ellis, 1965; Wulfert & Hayes, 1988), and transformation (e.g., Roche & Barnes, 1997).

There will not be any one study conducted that will address every question that one may have. One has to assemble a body of work to see how the pieces fit together in support or against a theory. The same can be said about evolution, biology, physics, etc. There will always be another question to ask.
layman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:20 pm
Even the minority that is attempting to indirectly rehabilitate Skinner's analysis, which you ratify, Brian, appear to concede that he was wrong, according to the article I previously cited:

Quote:
Bargh, A., et al. Beyond Behaviorism: On the Automaticity of Higher Mental Processes. Psychological Bulletin, 126(6), 925-945.

The whole enterprise of Relational Frame Theory is to complete the project on verbal behavior began by Skinner. The proponents of RFT come from a behavioral position and argue that Skinner’s aim was correct, but his actual project failed. Therefore, RFT is meant to complete Skinner’s failed project and finally build a behaviorist account of language and higher mental processes, despite decades of these areas being taken back over by the post-Chomskyan frameworks of investigation.

But who are they? Not bona fide experts like yourself, I suppose.

Briancrc

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:28 pm
@layman,
Red herring. I have credentials and experience that has relevance to a discipline we have been discussing. You made it clear that you do not agree with the discipline, so it does not seem like too much a limb to go out on to say that you do not have related credentials. But to be fair to you, are you licensed or certified in behavior analysis? Do you have any advanced degrees in behavioral science?

I do not tell oncologists that their cancer treatments are stupid and outdated, because I have no expertise in oncology. I do not tell environmental lawyers that their interpretations of transnational laws on a given topic are unpopular because I have no expertise in environmental law.

But pride is a real nut-bag; isn't it.
Briancrc

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:33 pm
@layman,
Now appeals to authority? Rolling Eyes

You don't just pursue illogic; you double down on it. Do you really think that the various dissenting published papers on particular points of evolution negate the entire theory of evolution? Do you really think that discoveries of more efficient or better practices in any branch of medicine negates the efficacy of the replaced practices? Is that really the logic you wish to apply here?
Briancrc

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:54 pm
@Briancrc,
To be clear though, Layman...I never once asked you or anyone else to accept a statement I made because of my background. I never specified degrees, certifications, licenses, years of experience, or positions held. Any assertion I made was defended it on its merits, and I challenged you to do the same. You were never once told you were wrong because of your background. The statements are memorialized and available for further scrutiny.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Let's take Libet experiments. Is that something you would be ready to look at and accept as scientific?

Interestingly, "Libet himself did not interpret his experiment as evidence of the inefficacy of conscious free will — he points out that although the tendency to press a button may be building up for 500 milliseconds, the conscious will retains a right to veto any action at the last moment.[44] According to this model, unconscious impulses to perform a volitional act are open to suppression by the conscious efforts of the subject (sometimes referred to as "free won't"). A comparison is made with a golfer, who may swing a club several times before striking the ball. The action simply gets a rubber stamp of approval at the last millisecond."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will
0 Replies

Solitude

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:38 pm
@MoralPhilosopher23,
This is from 'Human, All too Human'. Says what I think but much better than I can.

Aphorism 39 (The fable of intelligent freedom). “…At first we call particular acts good or evil without any consideration of their motives, but simply on the basis of their beneficial or harmful consequences. Soon, however, we forget the origin of these terms and imagine that the quality ‘good’ or ‘evil’ is inherent in the actions themselves, without consideration of their consequences…Then we assign the goodness or evil to the motives. And regard the acts themselves as morally ambiguous. We go even further and cease to give to the particular motive the predicate good or evil, but give it rather to the whole nature of a man; the motive grows out of him as a plant grows out of the earth. So we make man responsible in turn for the effects of his actions, then for his actions, then for his motives, and finally for his nature. Ultimately we discover that his nature cannot be responsible either, in that it is itself an inevitable consequence, an outgrowth of the elements and influences of things past and present; that is, man cannot be made responsible for anything, neither for his nature, nor his motives, nor his actions, nor the effects of his actions. And thus we come to understand that the history of moral feelings is the history of an error, an error called ‘responsibility‘, which in turn rests on an error called ‘freedom of the will‘.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:40 pm
@Briancrc,
Quote:
Now appeals to authority? Rolling Eyes

You don't just pursue illogic; you double down on it. Do you really think that the various dissenting published papers on particular points of evolution negate the entire theory of evolution? Do you really think that discoveries of more efficient or better practices in any branch of medicine negates the efficacy of the replaced practices? Is that really the logic you wish to apply here?

Heh, what have you done other than make broad, sweeping, imprecise, and nebulous claims and then cite the TITLE of a journal (not any particular article)? I'm "appealing to authority" but not you, eh?

Of course in your prior post you basically claimed that ONLY authorities can be appealed to. What's up with that?

I have yet to label your brand of supposed argumentative/explicatory practice, but maybe I will since you seem to prefer "labels" over any substantive content.

By the way, the post you are characterizing was not even really offered in any kind of attempt to prove "which expert is right." It was in response to your denial that there is any "consensus" about the shortcomings of Skinner's analysis.
0 Replies

Solitude

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:42 pm
@MoralPhilosopher23,
'Human, All Too Human', Aphorism 39 (The fable of intelligent freedom). “…At first we call particular acts good or evil without any consideration of their motives, but simply on the basis of their beneficial or harmful consequences. Soon, however, we forget the origin of these terms and imagine that the quality ‘good’ or ‘evil’ is inherent in the actions themselves, without consideration of their consequences…Then we assign the goodness or evil to the motives. And regard the acts themselves as morally ambiguous. We go even further and cease to give to the particular motive the predicate good or evil, but give it rather to the whole nature of a man; the motive grows out of him as a plant grows out of the earth. So we make man responsible in turn for the effects of his actions, then for his actions, then for his motives, and finally for his nature. Ultimately we discover that his nature cannot be responsible either, in that it is itself an inevitable consequence, an outgrowth of the elements and influences of things past and present; that is, man cannot be made responsible for anything, neither for his nature, nor his motives, nor his actions, nor the effects of his actions. And thus we come to understand that the history of moral feelings is the history of an error, an error called ‘responsibility‘, which in turn rests on an error called ‘freedom of the will‘.

layman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:51 pm
@Solitude,
Aw, yes. Fred's fatalism, culminating in his "doctrine of eternal return."

So uncharacteristic of him. Otherwise he was almost universally scornful of attempts to characterize "all of nature."
Solitude

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 03:07 pm
@layman,
In fairness, it was in 'Human, All Too Human', when he was only diagnosing the problem. From Zarathustra onwards he was more optimistic, in that he proposed/hoped that at least some of us could rise above the state of being human...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 05:39 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Here you go. I could download the whole article if anyone is interested.

Brain preparation before a voluntary action: Evidence against unconscious movement initiation.
By Judy Trevena and Jeff Miller
Duned in School of Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand
Consciousness and Cognition (Impact Factor: 2.31). 03/2010; 19(1):447-456. DOI: 10.1016/j.concog.2009.08.006
ABSTRACT

Benjamin Libet has argued that electrophysiological signs of cortical movement preparation are present before people report having made a conscious decision to move, and that these signs constitute evidence that voluntary movements are initiated unconsciously. This controversial conclusion depends critically on the assumption that the electrophysiological signs recorded by Libet, Gleason, Wright, and Pearl (1983) are associated only with preparation for movement. We tested that assumption by comparing the electrophysiological signs before a decision to move with signs present before a decision not to move. There was no evidence of stronger electrophysiological signs before a decision to move than before a decision not to move, so these signs clearly are not specific to movement preparation. We conclude that Libet’s results do not provide evidence that voluntary movements are initiated unconsciously.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/222027645_Brain_preparation_before_a_voluntary_action_Evidence_against_unconscious_movement_initiation._Consciousness_and_Cognition_19_447-56

Finally. Thank you. Yes, if you don't mind, please post the whole article.
layman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 05:51 pm
@Briancrc,
Quote:
Chomsky wrote a review all right. It was so off the mark that it was as if he hadn't read the work he was critiquing.

Statements like that are so far removed from any kind of considered, mainstream thought that I must suspect that you are some kind of zealous, doctrinaire Skinnerian without any real concern for objective or reflective analysis of the issues involved. You just cheer for the home team, win or lose.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 06:03 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Finally. Thank you.

Finally? I posted a reference to that paper, and others, many pages back. You just chose to ignore them all.

Of course I'm sure you didn't do that of your own free will, since you have none. I shouldn't have used the word "chose." You were MADE to ignore those citations by some as yet unexplained forces, how's that?
Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 02:25 am
@FBM,
I can't post the whole article, it's too long, but easily summarized: In a "Libet experiment", the electro-encephalogram observed before a decision to move is the same as the one observed before a decision not to move. Not very surprising if you ask me, since innaction is a form of action.

I posted this abstract following Layman's request. He has posted quite a few scientific articles here, as well as rival interpretations to Libet's experiments, reason for which I haven't done so. Realizing that you might have him on ignore, he asked me to repost one of 'his' article. Now you know what you've been missing out.

From my side, i did post Libet's own interpretation of his data, which is consistent with mine and does uphoald "free will" -- or "free won't" (freedom of choice). Showing therefore that your favorite author on this issue is in fact in my camp...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 03:11 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Finally? I posted a reference to that paper, and others, many pages back. You just chose to ignore them all.

Of course I'm sure you didn't do that of your own free will, since you have none. I shouldn't have used the word "chose." You were MADE to ignore those citations by some as yet unexplained forces, how's that?

Indeed we should be gentle with them no-freewillers, for by their own account they are not responsible for their actions. Even their ideas are not really their own.
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 04:36 am
Quotes from Chomsky, with my critical commentary:

Quote:
[Skinner] utilizes the experimental results as evidence for the scientific character of his system of behavior, and analogic guesses (formulated in terms of a metaphoric extension of the technical vocabulary of the laboratory) as evidence for its scope.

"Analogic guesses" and "metaphoric extension," eh? He thinks science is about guesses!? What a fool. Skinner is a scientist, NOT a speculative philosopher. Everybody knows that.

Quote:
This creates the illusion of a rigorous scientific theory with a very broad scope, although in fact the terms used in the description of real-life and of laboratory behavior may be mere homonyms, with at most a vague similarity of meaning

The "illusion" of a rigorous scientific theory with a very broad scope? That's not possible! Science is absolutely certain and irrefutable. It's not some "illusion." It's like Chomsky didn't even read Skinner's book, I tellya!

Quote:
[W]ith a literal reading the book covers almost no aspect of linguistic behavior,...with a metaphoric reading, it is no more scientific than the traditional approaches to this subject matter, and rarely as clear and careful.

One more time: SCIENCE don't use no metaphors, and SCIENCE covers EVERY "aspect of linguistic behavior." Any fool with a scientific background knows that! Just ask Brian. He's a real expert, not like this Chomsky chump.

http://cogprints.org/1148/1/chomsky.htm

Briancrc

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:31 am
@layman,
Quote:
layman Any fool with a scientific background knows that! Just ask Brian. He's a real expert, not like this Chomsky chump.

See, there you go again shifting the argument from a premise to a person. It's too bad you always have to go to that well.

Quote:
MacCORQUODALE Chomsky had no data to disprove the thesis of Verbal Behavior, nor does he yet. This can be said in the face of rather frequent statements subsequent to the review which assert, for example, that "Chomsky's paper shows that verbal behavior cannot be accounted for by Skinner's form of functional analysis (Fodor and Katz, 1964, p. 546)." Chomsky showed no such thing; he merely asserted it. Chomsky's criticisms of Skinner are, then, necessarily methodological. The disagreement is fundamentally an epistemological one, a "paradigm clash" as Katahn and Koplin have put it (Katahn and Koplin, 1968). It is therefore most peculiar that Chomsky nowhere refers to Skinner's earlier book, Science and Human Behavior (Skinner, 1953), the source to which Skinner specifically sends the reader of Verbal Behavior for elaboration of general methodological matters (Skinner, 1957, pp. 11, 23, 130, 145, et seq.). It may be seen there, and in Cumulative Record (Skinner, 1959, 1961), that Skinner has never been reticent about his methodological convictions nor vague as to his reasons for maintaining them. By omitting all reference to these arguments Chomsky creates the highly erroneous impression that Skinner has innocently and impulsively blundered along unmindful of the difficulties inherent in what he was doing. This simply is not so. His application of the basic operant model to verbal behavior has been evolving since 1934 (Skinner, 1957, vii). It has survived explication, and criticism by informed but not universally convinced students, in the classroom intermittently since then, and in the William James Lectures at Harvard in 1947. The 1957 book is, then, hardly the result of a momentary enthusiasm. It deserves a more thoughtful hearing.

Quote:
layman on Chomsky: "Analogic guesses" and "metaphoric extension," eh? He thinks science is about guesses!? What a fool. Skinner is a scientist, NOT a speculative philosopher. Everybody knows that.

Quote:
MacCORQUODALEChomsky's only real argument for his conclusion that the terms of the theory do not in fact apply to verbal behavior is given in the quotation above. It depends upon the amazing possibility that "real-life" and laboratory behavior may be different, as if somehow nature maintains two sets of natural laws, one for laboratories and the other for the rest of the world so that any law observed in the laboratory is prima facie suspect when applied to events outside. Entrancing though this idea is, it seems unparsimonious to suppose it. That really does not sound like nature.

Quote:
MacCORQUODALE Reinforcers seem in fact to have only one universal property: they reinforce, and no amount of dissatisfaction will either add a correlated property nor disprove the fact that they do reinforce..Chomsky seems convinced that Skinner claims that "slow and careful" reinforcement applied with "meticulous care" is necessary for the acquisition and maintenance of verbal behavior (Chomsky, 1959, pp. 39, 42 [twice], 43). Chomsky does not cite Verbal Behavior in this context, and the fact is that Skinner does not say or imply that the reinforcement for verbal behavior must be carefully arranged or that differential reinforcement must be "careful", applied with "meticulous care", and "slow and careful" (Chomsky, 1959, p. 42). The idea is preposterous and the implication that Skinner said it is both careless and false.

Quote:
MacCORQUODALE I conclude that Chomsky's review did not constitute a critical analysis of Skinner's Verbal Behavior. The theory criticized in the review was an amalgam of some rather outdated behavioristic lore including reinforcement by drive reduction, the extinction criterion for response strength, a pseudo-incompatibility of genetic and reinforcement processes, and other notions which have nothing to do with Skinner's account. Chomsky misunderstood the intent of Verbal Behavior, evaluating it as an accomplished explanation of verbal behavior rather than a hypothesis about the causes of verbal behavior. His review rejected in principle the products of Skinner's methodology without having come to terms with his rationale, especially as it concerns the necessity for theoretical mediating variables. The review took a view of extrapolation of laboratory findings that would bring any scientist's methodology to a dead stop. It rejected without discussion the logic of reductionism. It criticized Verbal Behavior for not having been about something else, that is, a theory of verbal behavior rather than verbal behavior itself.

Quote:
MacCORQUODALE But the review, however approximate, has had an enormous influence in psychology. Nearly every aspect of currently popular psycholinguistic dogma was adumbrated in it, including its warlike tone; the new look is a frown. It speaks of itself as a "revolution", not as a research area; it produces "confrontations", not inquiries. So far there have been no telling engagements in the revolution. The declaration of war has been unilateral, probably because the behaviorist cannot clearly recognize why he should defend himself. He has not hurt anyone; he has not preempted the verbal territory by applying his methods to verbal behavior; he has not used up all of the verbal behavior nor has he precluded other scientists from investigating it to their heart's content, with any methods and theories which please them; he need not be routed before they do so.

Quote:
MacCORQUODALE "in the flush of their initial victories, many linguists have made extravagant claims and drawn sweeping but unsupported conclusions about the inadequacy of stimulus-response theories to handle any central aspects of language behavior . . . The claims and conclusions so boldly enunciated are supported neither by careful mathematical argument . . . nor by systematic presentation of empirical evidence to show that the basic assumptions of these [stimulus-response] theories are empirically false. To cite two recent books of some importance, neither theorems nor data are to be found in Chomsky (1965) or Katz and Postal (1964), but one can find rather many useful examples of linguistic analysis, many interesting and insightful remarks about language behavior, and many ba(dly formulated and incompletely worked out arguments about the theories of language learning." (Suppes, 1968, pp. 1-2.) Just so.

This is A2K. It isn't "Not able 2 know"
layman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:56 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
Chomsky misunderstood the intent of Verbal Behavior, evaluating it as an accomplished explanation of verbal behavior rather than a hypothesis about the causes of verbal behavior.

Even assuming that Skinner was NOT attempting to provide any "accomplished explanation," and was merely presenting some "hypothesis about causes," what difference does that make? Chomsky basically demonstrates that the hypothesis is an absurd one IF one attempts to use it to provide an "accomplished explanation."