Why the west was the first to industrialize?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 09:09 am
@hingehead,
We're not playing today. Up against Man U tomorrow. So far we've lost both league matches, 3-2 away to Man City. Not a bad result all things considered, and 0-2 at home to Wigan, bit of a **** than one.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 09:13 am
@hingehead,
I did go back, but only noticed Andrew's ref. To be honest I'd forgotten what it was called, and had to research before posting, which is probably why the penny didn't drop when I first read Andrew's post.
hingehead

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
I guess the other way Jared Diamond doesn't help is that he has identified all the reasons Eurasia had geographical advantages, but that doesn't explain why the west was first to industrialize, it being only a small part of Eurasia, and not being limited to Eurasia.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 10:03 am
@izzythepush,
2-2 and we were lucky against 10 men. Swansea are good to watch, great passing play. We looked pretty ordinary. Louis Saha wasn't a good buy, in my mind (loved him at Fulham forever ago) semi dive cost Chico a red card but really the challenge was ridiculous.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 10:18 am
@hingehead,
Swansea surprised everyone last season. Actually last season was good because all the newly promoted sides stayed up.

It would be good if that happened again this season. West Ham did very well today.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 05:31 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Whatever "world-wide networks" or efficient "promulgation systems" they use are justified if their attitude to materialism has survival value for the culture. If it does then those world-wide networks" or efficient "promulgation sytems" are a good thing. Trying to make them sound sinister is ridiculous unless the survival value is addressed. You could be promoting something that doesn't have survival value and then where would you be?

To use the terms pejoratively without addressing the utility is rather passing by on a self-indulgent floating cloud of smoke and if it has no survival value it might be justifiably be persecuted.

O.K. I do prefer Protestants to be the materialistic winners (aka, accumulate wealth). I guess it is a win-win paradigm, from my perspective.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:29 pm
@Foofie,
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Foofie might be trying to say "you didn't do that" on a far grander stage. Or that he, like me, doesn't know why the west was the first to industrialise because the answer is lost in the mysterious deeps way back past the Dark Ages, the "foggy ruins of time", so he might as well say that it's been okay for him. So far.

And thereby imply that anybody offering an explanation is an idiot with a noise to make signifying nothing.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:59 pm
@spendius,
I prefer to hear from Foofie over your prognostications.
0 Replies

imans

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:06 pm
@spendius,
i didnt read the thread n i dont get the question right, but my answer would b west better natural conditions states made it the reason to mean being plus objectively and enjoy the idea of making individual living happy an end constancy of being existing

on the other hand, east represent females that cry in order to get smthg from else superiority while the west represent males that run to do anything in the conviction that it is better then nothing which dont recognize their individual values
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:59 pm
That was wonderfully incoherent.
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 03:34 pm
@Setanta,
If by "their" it was females being referred to it makes sense to me.
0 Replies

Tim Boon

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 12:45 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Hello Community,

Industrialization is the period of social and economic change that transforms a human group from an agrarian society into an industrial one. It is a part of a wider modernization process, where social change and economic development are closely related with technological innovation, particularly with the development of large-scale energy and metallurgy production. It is the extensive organization of an economy for the purpose of manufacturing. Industrialization also introduces a form of philosophical change where people obtain a different attitude towards their perception of nature, and a sociological process of ubiquitous rationalization.

Best Regards,
Tim Boon
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 04:00 am
Another bot . . . pathetic.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 04:37 am
@Setanta,
whatwould be the purpose of sending out "Bot talk" besides just fooling us into a response.? Is there some marketing strategy behind it?

Im clueless
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 04:51 am
I think they may be attempting to develop a technique for bots to post. Several of these bots have posted screeds on one subject or another which might have a marketing value down the road. If you look at that post, it seems to have been lifted wholesale from a text on the subject somewhere--online or in a book--a text which has all the hallmarks of academic obscurity and jargon; a text which really doesn't say much but appears to do so. These bots have never shown any facility in English, so i suspect the text was "plugged in," and that it's part of a program to develop bots which can drop off text blocks. If this is a part of a program to develop text posting bots, it wouldn't matter if this particular post has any marketing value, so long as it succeeds (in the mind of the developer, at least) in performing the task. I'm not going to post them here, but there are several telltale clues that this is a bot. I'm not going to describe them because i don't want these clowns to be able to read what is giving away the game and correct the flaws.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 05:04 am
@Setanta,
I responded to one that posted about snowboarding. It was quite the opposite of what wed come to expect from the ESL folks. It was composed and generally correct. It's use of a certain word was just amusing to me.
If we catch em and post about it, do we not send thme "back to the drawing boards" to better tweak their compositions?

Id be more flumoxed if they.... better not say.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 05:08 am
@farmerman,
That was exactly my point when i said i would not post here the telltale signs that we are dealing with bots. I don't want them to get clues about how they're tipping their collective hand.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 05:47 am
@Setanta,
In the Magic Circle the members know how the tricks of other magicians are performed but have a masonic-type gentleman's agreement to keep them secret.

It looks like we have a bot circle here.
0 Replies