0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:49 pm
Yahoo!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:39 pm
truth
Osso, the news is SO good that it even brought Farmerman out of hiding.
Congratulations! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:41 am
the news is relative, three hours later, I dunno, but I can at least see some (have quickly lost assurance that it is better, how fast flows the Don, and for some reason perhaps unanalyzeable, am newly energized. Maybe three surgs are the charm. I am tired of this now, moving on.

I'll know more tomorrow, but don't now expect much, probably still will be some level of fuzzy. On this last month's experience, I expect that to very gradually improve.

Sorry to give conflicting signals, I am reporting them as I get'em.

What changes? My acceptance. All the the piquance of vision is enhanced. Surgery itself was gorgeous, ending with the most amazing purple blue darkening to deep blue....

Don't mean this as a downer, after all, it is only a few hours post surg. But
I am still Very Relieved that deep retinal shitto didn't happen a second time, that the pupil is where it is supposed to be (that affects glare forever), and that I can see at all.

Now, all else is gravy.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:33 am
Is it OK for me to say now that I was kinda anticipating seeing the cat's-eye? :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
aw osso, i wanna hear good news about your corrected vision. Do we need to get a group mojo going here?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:48 am
Well, as jlnobody said somewhere, two cat's eyes would have been nicer,

or maybe two cats' eyes...

On the refraction, I can't judge, will have to wait til it's measured today.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm
fingers crossed for both of you Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:24 pm
Osso
Osso, so relieved you finally are having a good outcome. Lets hope it gets even better over time.

I just got home from Asherman and Natalie's house following my right eye surgery post-op doctor appointment. Everything went well. In fact, I accused my surgeon of just wheeling me in and out of the operating room and not doing a thing to my eye because it doesn't feel like I had any surgery. :wink: She just laughed as the examination showed I had indeed had surgery. Not only are the cataracts gone in both eyes, but she was able to correct the astigmatism in both eyes so that I can see better than ever.

This morning, I watched Asherman work on a major painting he is going to submit to a large art show in March. It was fun and instructive to watch him create brush stroke by stroke.

Keep getting better Osso.

bbb
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:50 pm
Hi, BBB, what a team we are.

Today's day after surgery-3 news, from osso, mostly good:

Glare is much reduced, astigmatism much reduced, and best of all, the eye pressure is back down to normal (I have been taking a lot of drops for it and it was still too high though not immediately dangerous.)

Vision remains 20/60, corrected, but may still improve. As this was the much weaker, somewhat undeveloped "lazy" eye in the first place, what I have is probably near what I will end up with.

The difference between now and a month ago is I appreciate it more today.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:02 pm
Osso
Osso, you will laugh to know I stopped at the drug store on my way home and bought some #150 reading glasses. They will tide me over until I get tested again in another month to see what kind of glasses I need. It takes a month for the eyes to finally settle down with a consistent vision mark.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:57 pm
Weird. I have worn trifocals for years (nice for architectural drawing), and my left trifocal is getting constant revisions now. There is some natural division they do when they order them. None of the lenses in the drugstore is any better than my reading lens on the trifocal, which is no damned good, only thing better is taking the d/glasses off and holding the tiny print 6" from my eyes. I demonstrated that today with some flair, so that is part of the new prescription. They are getting used to me now, though, this next combo lens is $30.00, a deal. If it changes again (knock on wood) they are ready for rushing it to me.
Suddenly with the eye chart in my fist I could read the whole thing at eight or ten inches.

Since I am a mad reader, don't get me started, all of this is as important as driving.

Am using rightie primarily.

Have been, of course, in underlying panic re the same thing happening with the right eye. Well it might, with the "ligaments" that hold the lens doing the same thing, collapsing, again. But apparently rightie is a much more developed eye in the first place and further doodoo is unlikely.

Heh.

Well, I won't go there for a while. Maybe in the summer.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:50 am
truth
Any news? (preferrably good).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:07 am
Hi, JL. Well, I'm in Napa, back from hanging some paintings in the capitol building in Sacramento. All went well. Driving back home today, sun is out, sky is glorious. As for the eye, maybe it'll get a little better and maybe it won't. With correction it's livable and as long as the right one stays fine I can drive and move around normally.

Spring is a cumin' in, me thinks.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:02 pm
truth
Good to hear about the Capitol Building showing. I like your attitude regarding the possibility of "no progress." My orthopedic surgeon called today to tell me that after studying my MRI with his associates they have concluded that if I have surgery, my chances of improving my situation (with the right shoulder rotator cuff tear) is about 50-50. The surgery involves a long period of recovery with little guarantee of progress. I'm inclined to just grow old gracefully. The problem will be pain from inflamation, but there's always acupuncture, an annual cortisone shot, anti-inflamatory foods like tumeric and ginger (I love crystalized ginger), and ultimately--if all goes wrong--shoulder replacement--unlikely. My real problem is the inability to play the violin. But the ability to adapt is most important. Thanks for the hearing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:10 pm
thanks for the update, ossoB!
you know we wonder and worry. family is like that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:18 pm
Osso, BBB and JLN, best wishes to all of you. Those of us on the wrong side of 60 find that our parts don't work as well and I'll bet we all can remember when we took our good health for granted.

Osso, love your descriptions of surgery and feelings. It's amazing what you have gone through--in many, many ways.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 09:51 pm
Diane, m'sweet, thank you. I feel very out there on awk, I mean, a2k, as the self-involved one, but I can't quite shut up about the reverberations of this experience. It could be described as therapeutic for me to do this, but so would a walk for a few miles. It might help others if they ever have a similar situation and can see this topic (hah!!!) Mostly it is connecting to my pals, I feel some synchrony with a lot of a2k people far and wide. And partly we all can bear lots of things if we have an ear to hear us comment. We can bear it if we don't, mostly, but to have people actually read your thoughts is tempering.

Also, fear moves.

Whether I pass a driver's test in a couple of weeks is problematic. Because I am very apt to fail the left eye test at the counter, I presume I will actually have to drive, and will turn from ballsy bitch into nervous nellie, completely bypassing sane serena.

At the counter, California requires 20/40 (I read on another thread Florida requires 20/70). I have no trouble with 20/60 but am iffy on 20/40 with my surgeried eye, With the New Glasses.

Geez, I may even have to parallel park on the left side of a one way street. One of the one way streets is highway 101, which is divided through mid town, They wouldn't, would they? I am not nervous about ordinary driving, I wouldn't get in a car without confidence backed up by routine daily traffic skill. But, so much rides on the test I'll be nervous.

I just came back from Napa today, great drive. I was trying to think of metaphors, off and on.. a low flying bird above a river of beauty, agggh, too corny. I was not less competent than anyone else. Very aware of fragile beauty. I didn't even play a cd symphony weaving through Richardson Grove.... just listened to the plain presence of the trees, such as I could through car noise.

I forgot to mention a very practical problem, re the driving driver's test..

Pacco ate all my seat belts but the driver's sb, and that is also gnawed into a little bit. All this before I gave in an put a crate in the car. It is very expensive to replace a volvo station wagon full of seatbelts and as I usually have no passengers, I haven't opted to go there. So I will also have to replace the front two before any test...... aarggh.

Am thinking of looking at auto demo places online..
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:17 pm
Glad to hear both of you are doing well.

Osso, you reminded me of a funny story about my aunt who became blind in one eye from an accident and was very worried about renewing her driver's license.
She was standing in line at the DMV ready to take the eye test, when she pretended to push her bangs out her eyes. As she did, she deliberately poked her thumb in her bad eye. Her eye got very red and teary. The woman giving the test felt bad for her, gave her a tissue and let her skip the eye test. She left the DMV with a renewed driver's license
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:25 pm
You know, colorbook, I loved that recounting about your aunt, and wail that I can't do - what just happened to her - on purpose: I have this honest soul (if I have a soul, and of course I say I don't, routinely, except perhaps of the very most ephemeral miasmatic sort. Plus, at this point, I would fall on a dagger before pokeing my left eye.
0 Replies