has been vs is

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:32 am
It has been / is three full years since the man left his wife and home.

Can I use either 'has been' or 'is'?

Thanks.

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 08:10 am
@tanguatlay,

no, has been is correct...
McTag

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 09:07 am
@Region Philbis,
"Has been" is better, but note

"It is three years today since I last had a drink" is okay, most would say that is not wrong.

"It is ten years since my mother died", likewise okay.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 09:11 am
@tanguatlay,
note again.

It's been three full ....
McTag

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:23 am
@eurocelticyankee,

That just means "has been", no?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:24 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
no, has been is correct...

If that's wrong, you can assume other stuff is wrong too. -- Roberta
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:48 am
@McTag,
Quote:
"Has been" is better, but note

What does 'better' mean, McTag? How is that helpful to someone trying to sort out the complexities of language?

As you went on to note, there are situations where it isn't better.

It is coming up to/on three full years since ...

??It has been coming up to/on three full years since ...
McTag

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 01:26 pm
@JTT,

It is better because there is no ambiguity in it. You know immediately what is meant.
So I would say that although both forms are common in spoken English, in writing one would always be better to use the "has been" version.
spendius

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 01:48 pm
@tanguatlay,
I would say that "has been" conveys a regretful tone and especially if the man is named. "Is" is much more neutral.

Once again it is the context that a writer is concerned about. If a writer is more concerned about grammatical exactitude than conveying the emotions of a situation the characters will tend towards a likeness and it will probably be to him or herself. And being naturally clustered around the grey area, which is nice and safe, the conceit will be pretty tiresome to read.

I prefer "has been" in most circumstances. With the "full" included "has been" seems mandatory.

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 02:00 pm
@spendius,

Okay, so the question of style and nuance comes in, which widens the subject right out.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 04:29 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
It is better because there is no ambiguity in it. You know immediately what is meant.

Yet you want ambiguity in the example I gave. Again, context context context and then context.

Quote:
So I would say that although both forms are common in spoken English, in writing one would always be better to use the "has been" version.

I wouldn't say both forms are common in spoken English, though I may be wrong. I think ''it has been ..." is much more common.

As for writing, I still believe that, as you have shown, the best one is the one that best fits the situation.

An exact phrase search of the Guardian produced some surprising results. I'll have to do them again.
0 Replies