Victim of great white shark attack laughs it off...

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm
Quote:
A wisecracking Boston native today explained why he thinks he survived the first great white shark attack
on a Massachusetts swimmer since 1936: I taste lousy.

Chris Myers, who grew up on Joy Street in Beacon Hill but now lives in Colorado, was attacked Monday
afternoon while swimming with his 16-year-old son, J.J., off the shores of Ballston Beach in Truro.

Speaking with reporters today, Myers said he felt a “huge bite on my leg’’ when the shark attacked.

“I was quite sure it was a shark,’’ he said. “It felt like my leg was caught in a vise. I kicked very hard
with my free leg...and he let go.’’

Myers now thinks he knows why the attack came to an end.

“I figure the shark just didn’t like the taste of me,’’ said, a Harvard University graduate.

Myers, 50, was bitten first in his lower left leg and then suffered puncture wounds in his right leg when he
kicked the shark in the snout. Doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston have used 47 stitches
to close the wounds, which he said will keep him off his feet for about a month.

During a joint press conference, father and son said they decided to swim several hundred feet off the shore
in hopes of finding a good spot for breaking waves to body surf on. As they paddled out, J.J. asked his father
a question, they recalled today.

“ ‘What do you think would happen if a shark came along?,’ ” J.J. asked.

“ ‘Well, we’d be history,’ ” his father replied.

When they were some 400 to 500 feet off shore, the two decided a sandbar was too distant for them and
decided to turn around and head back inland -- and that’s when a dark object sliced through the water
between the two of them.

Myers said he has only one way to describe the size of the animal that attacked him -- “big” -- and said
that it was dark in color.

Once Myers was free of the shark’s jaws, he and his son began swimming furiously toward land, fearful that
the shark would circle around and strike again. They became focused on reaching the beach, and not just
because his father had been bit, J. J. Myers said.

“Seeing a shark is enough to get swimming back, fast, to the beach,’’ he said.

During their inbound swim, Chris Myers told his son that the shark “bit me pretty badly,’’ but also made it
clear to him that the wound was not going to be fatal.

“ ‘Well, we’re not history,’ ” the elder Myers told his son.

Swimming frantically toward land, the two said they saw people on the beach. Once they got close to shore,
people waded into the water to help them. Myers said he did not feel any pain until he was riding in the
ambulance to Cape Cod Hospital, where he was first treated before being sent to MGH.

Myers said he did not know seals were in the area of Ballston Beach, and was not aware of great white shark
sightings near Truro before he went into the water on Monday. If he had known seals were about, he would not
have gone swimming, he said.

According to the state’s top shark scientist, Greg Skomal, Myers is likely the first person to be attacked by a
great white shark in Massachusetts waters since 1936 when a teenager was killed.
(bahstin globe)

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 05:21 pm
Love Myers' attitude!

He just gave me a great hint as to why, as a general rule, mosquitoes don't bother me much. They hate the taste of my blood and word gets around. Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:44 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10525988_894268877267597_9042217005683471984_n.jpg
chai2

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:07 pm
@hingehead,
I know, but you seldom hear people say "I'm afraid of cows." Not only can they kill you, but they can really **** you up, even if you don't end up dead.

I have absolutely no fear of sharks. If one can get as far inland as I am, it's welcome to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:07 pm
@hingehead,
But ants drive you crazy..
hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:32 am
@ossobuco,
and kill 6 times as many people as sharks.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:54 am
@hingehead,
Yeah, but I bet it takes more than 6 ants to do it.
hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:55 am
@roger,
Only 2 of the really big ones.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 01:04 am
@hingehead,
Oh yeah! I forgot you were from Australia.
hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 01:16 am
@roger,
They hunt in pairs. One holds your arms behind your back while the other kidney punches you.
hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 01:22 am
Chickens are deadly too. I can't imagine how many people die every year from contact with these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/KFC_Double_Down_%22Sandwich%22.jpg/1280px-KFC_Double_Down_%22Sandwich%22.jpg
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 02:10 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

They hunt in pairs. One holds your arms behind your back while the other kidney punches you.

You'd think this was a joke, but it's not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 02:11 am
@hingehead,
But we killed them first!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 02:41 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/s720x720/10616223_906832729337739_513497533633680537_n.jpg

According to this Facebook blurb, "Fewer than 4 people a year are killed by sharks. More than 100 million sharks per year are killed by humans - mostly for "shark fin soup"

Who should be afraid of whom?"

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 03:46 pm
http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/sharks-arent-so-bad.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 04:32 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I have absolutely no fear of sharks. If one can get as far inland as I am, it's welcome to me.

SAME here. I far more afraid of drowning then I am of sharks. That's why I can't ever go in water that's over my head while not panicking.
chai2

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 07:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Even in a pool?

I only go in a pool, and always wear training flippers. They give me confidence.

They have short blades, not like regular flippers. I love them. If you go to the pool on a regular basis, it's a great investment.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTurJTJR_ZH3OwHrC6mIfjDN60loE7eqKQyQlJJbGGxxTvHXzMLHw
0 Replies