Which is worse: homophobe chickeneer or Bostonian dictator?

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:13 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Give me a break - you're drawing way too fine a line here.

Actually, I'm painting with a broad brush. I'm equating anti-gay marriage lobbying efforts with refusal to serve gay couples by asking people's sexual orientations and contributing money to anti-gay marriage efforts. They are all acts of discrimination.

You are the one drawing too fine a line here if you believe that anti-gay marriage lobbying efforts are different, in regard to discrimination, from refusal to serve based on sexual orientation.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:00 pm
Boston.com wrote:
NASHUA, N.H.—The manager of a Chick-fil-A in Nashua, N.H., is donating sandwiches to an upcoming festival celebrating gay rights.

The support from franchise operator Anthony Piccola for the New Hampshire Pride Fest comes as the restaurant chain continues to be criticized for an executive's comments about gay marriage.

Piccola said Wednesday that the Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in its restaurants "is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect -- regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender." It followed a statement he made last week that said the Nashua restaurant at the Pheasant Lane Mall has gay employees and serves gay customers "with honor, dignity and respect."

Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy told the Baptist Press last month that the Atlanta-based company was "guilty as charged" for backing "the biblical definition of a family." That unleashed a flood of criticism from gay rights groups and others, who have called for boycotts and efforts to block the chain from opening new stores.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2012/08/01/chick_fil_a_manager_in_nh_to_help_gay_pride_fest/
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
Will the boycot change the mind of the owner concerning Gays and their life styles?

Why should it ?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 08:39 pm
Mayor Bloomberg of NYC wants to ban the sale of 16 oz jugs of Coke etc. Does this mean that drinkers of Coke, etc. will boycot stores that don't sell 16 oz jugs of Coke, etc?

Also...Mayor Bloomberg wants new mothers to breast-feed their infants and avoid the use of prepared formula. Thus, hospitals in NYC will not supply new mothers with prepared formula unless they are specifically asked to do so.

So, who will be boycoted in this situation? The breast-feeders or the formula-feeders?

The World has gone nutts and still we sit here in the USA and ask "Why did Holmes murder and wound all those people in the movie theater"?

Are there any sane folks left anywhere?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 08:47 pm
@Miller,
There's only one thing wrong with your NYC analogy, Miller. Bloomberg's two latest crusades (risible as they are) are in no way biased against any recognizable group (unless you consider obese people or new mothers as specific minority groups). Chick-fill-A is on record as being biased against gays.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:51 am
Having read this thread (what a martyr i am) and having looked back through the thread i started on this issue, i've some to these conclusions:

Chick-fil-A, or any other corporation, can have and promote any religious or political agenda they wish. It's a civil right of the owners.

It is just as much a civil right for someone to boycott them.

It's just as much a civil right for a municipal corporation or a government entity (such as a university) to say we don't want your business here. Municipalities have blocked Wal-Mart, and i haven't heard tortured arguments about the restraint of civil rights. Nothing obliges a municipality to provide a company a platform for their agenda, and nothing prevents them from banning said company.
0 Replies