Which is worse: homophobe chickeneer or Bostonian dictator?

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:51 pm
@MontereyJack,
I'm pretty sure those same values he's supporting frown on S and M, wifeswapping, and middle aged men having sex with teenagers...

(not that consistency has ever been a big part of his game)
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:56 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I'm pretty sure those same values he's supporting frown on S and M, wifeswapping, and middle aged men having sex with teenagers...

(not that consistency has ever been a big part of his game)

I am not a Christian, and my values are not theirs, but I do support free speech, and I do support having values, and I do support having an opinion and I do support standing your ground for your opinion. Hell, I have supported no less an odorous specimen than Firefly for standing her ground.

You people who think that you need to force all the rest of us to agree with you can **** off. Learn a little tolerance, it is good for you. Diversity is good most of the time.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:14 am
hawkeye says
Quote:
Learn a little tolerance, it is good for you

Why don't you suggest that to Dan Cathy, hawk?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:23 am
I'm still trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. I'd not heard about this until I read about it here so I googled to try to read his actual statement and the context in which it was made and I came up with this:
Quote:

We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

as told to a Christian interviewer on a Christian radio program.

So, as per this - should divorced and/or widowed men who have remarried to their second or third or fouth wives also boycott Chik-Fil-A (or however they spell it)? And should women -because if all of the owners or leaders of the business are married to their first wives - doesn't that mean they don't allow (routinely at least) women in those leadership roles? They must be responsible for holding women back too - maybe I should boycott it.

Whatever - the guy's standing for his beliefs. They've never even opened the restaurant on Sundays since 1946 because they also believe the thing about remembering the sabbath and keeping it holy and keeping the money lenders out of the temple- in other words if people can go sit and eat chicken in his restaurants, they might do that instead of going to church.
It's pretty clear what he stands for. You might not like it - but he's allowed to live by his own principles just as anyone else is allowed to live by theirs. He's not actively discriminating against anyone. He's stating his beliefs and putting his money where his mouth is to boot - so be it.

And no - I don't give a **** who marries who. I just don't get how this man stating his beliefs directly or indirectly hurts anyone.

I don't get it. I did see, on one of my conservative, religious friend's facebook page one of those little memo things that said something like, 'What a surprise- a devoutly Christian man whose business has never opened on Sundays believes what he learned in Sunday school' or something like that...

uh yeah - what a surprise.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:42 am
Here's one that's a bit more indicative:
Quote:

Chick-fil-A's president and CEO, Dan T. Cathy, told the Biblical Recorder, a Baptist journal, in early July that the company was "very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit." In a radio interview in June, Cathy said, "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.'"

What he was talking about was, of course, same-sex marriage, and calling down God's wrath on the U.S. for allowing them in some states. (like Massachusetts, my state; up yours, Dan Cathy). The company has also donated several million dollars, I think, to anti-gay groups. Gays and their allies, and supporters of same-sex marriage, which now includes more than half of the country, according to the polls, are, rightfully, incensed.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:50 am
and here is a more full account of what he said:
Quote:
"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.' And I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is about."

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:01 am
Okay, I'm not being deliberately obtuse here - I'm sincerely asking because I don't know what is meant by 'anti-gay groups'. Are there seriously groups that raise funds to actively discriminate against gay people? And what do they use the funds for?

I mean, I know all about Anita Bryant and Westboro Church and stuff like that, and I'm definitely NOT denying the reality of homophobic hate crimes by individuals and homophobic rhetoric by the Christian right - but are there really ORGANIZED, legally sanctioned and tax exempt groups that take contributions and raise funds to systematically target and discriminate against gay people?

Isn't that (discrimintation) against the law?
Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
@DrewDad,
Maybe also he was reminded that his own chosen religion does not support gay marriage.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:22 am
@aidan,
It sort of like saying Pro-life vs against abortion or Pro-choice vs. against life sort of thing.

According to snopes the organizations Chick fil owner gives to is:
Fellowship of Christian Athletes
Family Research Council
Marriage and Family Foundation
Exdus International (not sure if I got this name right)

The first one is pretty straight forward where they try to reach out through athletics to teach the word of God.

The second one - is promoting basic Christian family values - they are located in Washington DC primarily for their focus on having contacts in Washington

The third one is probably the one most obvious in saying they are trying to limit gay and lesbian's rights - fighting to not allowing same sex marriage.

The fourth I am not familar with at all - probably why I don't have the name correct.

But it is no different from what this founder is stating already. And why can't a group fight for what it believes in? As long as they are doing things within the law and not threatening and so forth.

Same as someone has a right to fight for same-sex marriage; some one with opposing views should be able to take a stand for the opposite.

Now this is a great article on the right way to protest - and via some dumb mayor:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/opinion/granderson-chick-fil-a/index.html
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 10:57 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I mean, I know all about Anita Bryant and Westboro Church and stuff like that, and I'm definitely NOT denying the reality of homophobic hate crimes by individuals and homophobic rhetoric by the Christian right - but are there really ORGANIZED, legally sanctioned and tax exempt groups that take contributions and raise funds to systematically target and discriminate against gay people?

Isn't that (discrimintation) against the law?

Such groups have the exact same legally sanctioned and tax exempt status that the Ku Klux Klan does -- i.e. none. Why, who on this thread has suggested that any such thing exists? The expression "anti-gay group" refers only to an informal grouping, e.g. a fundamentalist Christian church group.
aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:00 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Okay - well I guess I'm asking then, if these are illegal and informal groups- how would anyone know how much money he's contributed to them?

Again - I don't know - I'm asking. I'm only interested in truth and the facts.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There are Christians who Menino strongly supports including President Obama. Of course these happen to be the Christians that don't run around saying idiotic things.

So are you saying that Menino doesn't support our beloved vice president, Joseph Biden?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:37 am
What have "Christian" values got to do with eating chicken?

If the Gays are pissed-off, then let them eat their chicken somewhere else.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
Miller says:
Quote:
What have "Christian" values got to do with eating chicken?

If the Gays are pissed-off, then let them eat their chicken somewhere else

That is exactly what they ARE doing, and they suggest that anyone who agrees with them (now the majority of the country) do likewise. And your point is?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:09 pm
Exodus International, incidentally, is the "Christian" group that claimed that homosexuality was a choice, and could be "cured" through various "Christian" means. Gays found this deeply insulting, that there was something the matter with them which had to be "cured". The group is also now pretty thoroughly discredited, since the prominent psychologist whose reading of flawed research a decade ago was used as the scientific basis for their theory has recently said that he was completely wrong and apologized to gay people who may have b een harmed as the result of that. And at least one of the founding members of the group has recanted and said it doesn't work.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
That is exactly what they ARE doing, and they suggest that anyone who agrees with them (now the majority of the country)

False, as previously documented.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Gays found this deeply insulting, that there was something the matter with them which had to be "cured"

BooHoo.....lets talk about whether the claim that conversion therapy works is true or not. Emotional reactions to claims of the nature of reality should be left to the trashy mags at the checkout.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:31 pm
@aidan,
Sure there are.

Quote:
Focus on the Family is a public charity exempt from federal income tax as an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. All contributions to the Organization are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

They also replied "yes" on their 990 Form for lobbying. The 990 doesn't specify exactly what they were lobbying for but their mission states, " Helping Families Thrive

Focus on the Family is a global Christian ministry dedicated to helping families thrive. We provide help and resources for couples to build healthy marriages that reflect God’s design, and for parents to raise their children according to morals and values grounded in biblical principles.

We’re here to come alongside families with relevance and grace at each stage of their journey. We support families as they seek to teach their children about God and His beautiful design for the family, protect themselves from the harmful influences of culture and equip themselves to make a greater difference in the lives of those around them.

No matter who you are, what you’re going through or what challenges your family may be facing, we’re here to help. With practical resources - like our 1-800 Family Help line, counseling and websites – we’re committed to providing trustworthy, biblical guidance and support.

Our Passion

Our passion for what we do is driven by our core beliefs:

We believe that all people are of infinite value, regardless of age, development, appearance or ability.

We believe that marriage is the foundation of family life, and that God’s design for marriage is a relationship where both husband and wife are committed to loving and caring for one another for a lifetime.

We believe children are a gift from God, and thrive best in a home where both mother and father are committed to raising them with love, intention, and care.

We believe sex is given by God as an expression of love to be shared and enjoyed exclusively between a husband and wife.

We believe that Christians have a responsibility to promote truth and social policy that improves the strength and health of the family, as God designed.

And we believe that parents should aspire to model for their children how to humbly follow the teachings and spirit of Jesus at home and in the community. "
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:42 pm
Yeah well, I believe all that too - and I don't believe that gay people can't do all those things.

Did I miss something? Did they mention anywhere that gay people can't do those things?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:47 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Did I miss something? Did they mention anywhere that gay people can't do those things?

You are still thinking about "do", that is your problem. Gays can do just about anything they like, what they are driving for now is what they consider to be their right to never have any other person object to what they do, or to claim that hetrosexuality is better.