Which is worse: homophobe chickeneer or Bostonian dictator?

aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, obviously heterosexuality is NOT better to a gay person - but I have known enough gay couples to acknowledge that there is an adoption of roles and there usually is what one would consider a 'husband' and a 'wife' in the partnership even though both people are of the same gender.

I'm sorry - I just think everyone is entitled to their opinion - gay and straight alike.

He's not saying, 'I won't serve gay people'...he's saying he thinks our culture has changed in a way he's not comfortable with.

Yeah - in some ways I agree. I wish so many kids didn't spend time in front of computer screens simulating killing people.

Am I not allowed to say that?
Give me a break....
Eat your chicken somewhere else and drop it.
JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:59 pm
@aidan,
Sure you're allowed to believe it and say it. If, however, you own a business and you state that the proceeds of your business are sent to organizations who work to keep your biases as the law of the land you shouldn't be surprised if folks decide not to contribute to those proceeds.
aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@JPB,
Yeah - fine. And I don't contribute to McDonald's because I believe their food is unhealthy and they've contributed to a generation of obese children who are suffering the effects of heart disease and diabetes in their twenties.

Yeah - but I can't tell them they can't do business - can I? Or can I?
Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:07 pm
@JPB,
But that isn't the arguement - the arguement is should a mayor prevent a business from starting operations in their city simply because the business' owner has a political/personal/religious belief other than your own (and let me remind you all that Mennio is supposedly a Catholic - so if he is then he should be against gay marriage).

Any way - it seems that Mennio doesn't believe in separation of church and state then.
JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:11 pm
@aidan,
I think the mayors who are refusing licenses based on social preferences are treading on thin constitutional ice but that's just my opinion.

You can get a whole bunch of like-minded folks and organize boycotts of McDonald's if you choose. There's a right-wing "Let's all eat a chick-fil-a" on Wednesday and a nationwide "same sex kiss-in" on Friday. I won't be attending either one because I've never visited a chick-fil-a in my life and don't see a reason to start now.
JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:14 pm
@Linkat,
I imagine someone will file suit and the courts will decide.
aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:34 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
You can get a whole bunch of like-minded folks and organize boycotts of McDonald's if you choose.

I DON'T choose to. Maybe you haven't been comprehending what I've been writing. I reserve the right to make my own choice about where I shop and eat and I extend that same right to others. I don't feel that I need to 'get a whole bunch of like-minded folks' to organize anything to make myself feel better. I think people have the right to make their own decisions and I'm happy with that.
Quote:

There's a right-wing "Let's all eat a chick-fil-a" on Wednesday and a nationwide "same sex kiss-in" on Friday. I won't be attending either one because I've never visited a chick-fil-a in my life and don't see a reason to start now.

Yeah - me too - but I believe that everyone can eat and shop wherever they
want.
If gay people want to be gay - that's good. And if Christian people want to do business the way they see fit and express their beliefs - that's good too.

I think I'm like a real liberal - you know someone who actually allows someone else their own beliefs.
They don't all have to be like mine.
Miller

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:38 pm
@aidan,
It could be that when the Gays boycot the Chicken restaurants, more of the evangical Christians will stop in and buy that delighful Southern food.

More $$ into the pot...
aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:40 pm
@Miller,
Myself, if I'm gonna eat chicken down south, I go to Bojangles. They have dirty rice and pinto beans and the best ******* biscuits (with honey) you've ever tasted.
Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:42 pm
@JPB,
nah Mennio backed down - I was never a fan of him - but then he is not my mayor.

I do think he tries to honestly do well by the people of Boston, but he is just a plain old idiot - not the brightest bulb and don't let me go on about his speach or lack there of.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:42 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I think I'm like a real liberal - you know someone who actually allows someone else their own beliefs

todays liberals still allow us our beliefs, so long as those who dont agree with them dont pollute the public space with their heresy.

Between this refusal to empower individuals and their being now allergic to the truth I had to leave. My stomach could not take it anymore.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:44 pm
@aidan,
kinda my viewpoint also - but I think it is sometimes refered to as libertian - minimal government involvement.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:44 pm
@aidan,
what about popeyes at least that was good enough for the red sox.
aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:46 pm
@Linkat,
Popeyes is my second choice. I should have been a vegetarian really- I could go to a chicken restaurant and just eat the rice and beans, you know?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@aidan,
Sure, but it isn't only about this chicken guy's beliefs. He actively discriminates against homosexuals by contributing to anti-gay marriage lobbies.

White supremacists are entitled to their views. They are not entitled to discriminate according to their views.

The same reasoning applies to this chicken guy.
aidan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
Huh? Discriminate? So has he said he won't sell chicken to gay couples and their children?

What does he do? Ask each customer who they have sex with?

So if I tithe to a Christian church or organization - you consider that discrimination?

Give me a break - you're drawing way too fine a line here.

Don't ******* eat there if you don't like the man and don't want to line his pockets so he can contribute to whatever causes he believes in.

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:29 pm
@aidan,
I don't know if he's said he won't sell chicken to gay couples and their children.

I don't know if he's asked each customer who they have sex with.

Tithing to a Christian church or organization isn't discrimination per se.

What I do know is that he actively discriminates against homosexuals by contributing to anti-gay marriage lobbies.

You know, I think I'll take you up on your advice and not eat there so as to not line his pockets so that he can contribute to the discrimination of gays. Thanks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:21 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I DON'T choose to.

Ok, then don't. But why are you getting so animated about folks who think it's important enough to make a statement? Not your thing? Don't participate.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:22 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I think I'm like a real liberal - you know someone who actually allows someone else their own beliefs.
They don't all have to be like mine.

Apparently they do. Otherwise you wouldn't be here ragging about those who chose to make a greater point of the issue than you do.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
Chik Fil A doesn't discriminate in hiring or the daily running of their business. Boston and Chicago political bosses can't discriminate against the company because of the religious beliefs of the owner.

It is a dangerous slippery slope of totalitarianism and a blinding blurring of the separation of church and state.,

NOT HERE! These actions are unwelcome in my country - by me.
0 Replies